Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 12:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Yanmar 4JH3-TE

Hi All

Quick question hopefully -
I have a Yanmar 4JH3TE that has the grill type air filter which has a breather pipe coming off the crankcase.
The engine is getting older but still in excellent condition but slightly fed up with an oily film residue appearing in air filter which ends up dripping a tiny amount of oil on gearbox and eventually on floor pan.
I would like to install an OIL CATCH CAN around centre of the pipe which will hopefully remove the oil residue and just leave nice cleanish air to re-enter the air filter - has anyone done this???
The engine does not blow much so not too stressed and mechanic says just dont fill up engine to maximum height
Any help would be great
Thanks
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:20   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Yanmar 4JH3-TE

The new 4JH4-TE has a crankcase breather tube that goes from the valve cover to the back side of the air filter. If yours has this too, I don't see why you couldn't put in an inline oil catch can. I installed one on my F150. I get about 8oz or so of oil in 10k miles. This helps, for gas engines at least, with keeping the oil out of the intake making your intake dirty and dropping the octane level of the gas.

Look online, Jegs or something similar, they probably have universal oil catch cans you can buy that would be relatively easy to install. After a while of running you can unscrew the can, think like a oil filter, and see how much you've accumulated and dump it in your used oil jug. The oil will be pretty cloudy and murky, so I don't put it back in the engine.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:33   #3

Thanks Sail redemption -

I have the new one so exactly as you describe.
Presume the breather pipe should be horizontal or just below so that any fluid/oil residue can go downwards towards collector??
Thanks
Old 06-05-2019, 22:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I asked the same questions a few weeks ago. I was told that the OP was using a "Skippy" model catch can. Then he posted a pic... It WAS a peanut butter jar! I took a Diet Coke can, painted it "Yanmar Silver" and ran a hose to it. Works just fine!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08   #5

Hi All
Quick update
I have spoken with Yanmar and they have said that adding a oil drip can will not resolve the issue (which I kind of knew) but they have advised that emptying oil and replacing with approved running in oil for 50 hours might help the blow back issue that I get. It may help re-bed the cylinder rings. Once the 50 hours have been complete revert to yanmar approved oil.... I am going to give this a go and see what happens and also put in place a breather can to assist with mess that I have to clean up every so often. Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 07:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Thanks Sail redemption -

I have the new one so exactly as you describe.

Presume the breather pipe should be horizontal or just below so that any fluid/oil residue can go downwards towards collector??

Thanks
Oh OK, I saw 4JH3-TE so I thought it was the previous model.

I'll send yoiu a picture of what I have in my truck if you'd like. I'll post the link to the product I'm talking about. The closest I can relate it to is an oil filter. The in hose comes in and ports in a different spot on top than the out hose.and has a screen to catch more oil mist.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/JL...Separator.html

Worth a shot. They also have a little cheaper one.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/UP...Separator.html

While I'm not sure why Yanmar said that, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't help at all.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:39   #7

Thanks Sail redemption much appreciated
I am going to order and see how i get on over the next month or so
Thanks for taking the time to post a picture and send me the links - very helpful and friendly

Thanks
Old 19-05-2019, 08:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Thanks Sail redemption much appreciated

I am going to order and see how i get on over the next month or so

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture and send me the links - very helpful and friendly

Thanks
No problem! Here's the picture of our truck oil catch can.Click image for larger version

Name:	1558278000858.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	192321

Tags
yanmar