Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 03:55   #61

Re: Why does my diesel engine keep dying?

We had the same problem after having our tanks cleaned on our leopard 43. It turned out to be bio slim on the check ball and spring in the raycor filter. We used a bio side called Killem in the fuel, and had to take the raycor apart and deslime the ball and spring.This worked great for about 2months. I've since replaced the raycor filter and the blockage never happened again. FYI,the 37 dollar raycor knockoff bought off EBay has worked great for 2 seasons so far. Hope this helps , Cheers Mike on s/v double exposure Leopard 43
DE43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:41   #62

Boat: Tartan 40

I had exact same problem and it was clogged elbow at top of fill pipe. Makes sense in this case since your tank was repaired so maybe some filings created a strainer for sludge
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 20:10   #63

Quote:
I had exact same problem and it was clogged elbow at top of fill pipe. Makes sense in this case since your tank was repaired so maybe some filings created a strainer for sludge

We already had this case twice. And in both cases it was metal shavings. It is worth to check it once!
DirkK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 05:41   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkK22 View Post
We already had this case twice. And in both cases it was metal shavings. It is worth to check it once!

Yup for me as well was metal filings from installing another tank access port so that I could clean out the tank well to prevent a clog from happening. No good deed goes unpunished....
Old 13-11-2019, 13:45   #65

Boat: Cal 2-46

We had this same problem. Eventually tracked it down to a leak in the diaphragm of the lift pump. New pump and sorted. I think it was sucking in a tiny amount of air each cycle.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 02:05   #66

I have now let the tank completely clean again. I'm curious, but assume that the problem should not occur then.
Old 17-11-2019, 05:37   #67

Quote:
I have now let the tank completely clean again. I'm curious, but assume that the problem should not occur then.

Did you check the elbow fittings in the fuel supply line for clogs ?
Old 19-11-2019, 22:38   #68

Mhmm, I have not actually done that. Can they get injured?

But a good idea, I have not thought of that!
Old 22-11-2019, 04:56   #69

Quote:
Mhmm, I have not actually done that. Can they get injured?

But a good idea, I have not thought of that!

Very common place for a clog to happen inside. Happened to me with clean filters and clean tank- and then my engine stopped and filter bowl was half empty. Took elbow off eventually and it had a firm clog right at 90 deg bend made of a few metal filings and a small bit of gunk that usually would go right through to filter
Old 27-11-2019, 11:56   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Very common place for a clog to happen inside. Happened to me with clean filters and clean tank- and then my engine stopped and filter bowl was half empty. Took elbow off eventually and it had a firm clog right at 90 deg bend made of a few metal bonded seals and a small bit of gunk that usually would go right through to filter
I will check the corner lines at the weekend. So far, everything went well again. But as you describe it, this problem can be repeated. I think..

Tags
diesel, engine