Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What would you prefer for a repower?
Westerbeke 5 12.82%
Beta Marine 34 87.18%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30   #16
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I'd skip both of the options you've presented and go with this

d2_75 - Diesel inboard : Volvo Penta
I've not heard good things about volvo (particularly the cost of parts)
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 13:30   #17

If you look at the complaints about parts pricing. Most are for engines that are 15 years or older.
Of course parts are going to be more expensive for something that is out of production. It
Works the same for everyone.
Nose around on the net. You can price shop the common service parts easily.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 13:34   #18

Thumbs down Not the BetaMarine!

Had one on a repowered Pearson 30. Starting cold was an art form and took minutes. Re-starting when lukewarm was even worse. Maybe it was a bad installation but I would tend not to give them a second chance.
Don't have any experience with Westerbeke.
EZSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 14:36   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Adding ballast...

If you don't mind addling a little extra weight why not consider the John Deere 4045DFM50. Well priced, economical, parts everywhere, lots of power, not a turbo.

The extra 200kg+ does show up on the waterline, though.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 14:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
This is the first bad report I have heard on the Beta. How old and what model? I was looking to repower with the Beta- so please, give me the skinny!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34   #21
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If you don't mind addling a little extra weight why not consider the John Deere 4045DFM50. Well priced, economical, parts everywhere, lots of power, not a turbo.

The extra 200kg+ does show up on the waterline, though.
Took a long look at the Deere as well as the Northern Lights version. Just a little too big. Redoing the engine bearers would be a major job and they were done at the last refit.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01   #22

Re: Westerbeke or Beta Marine

I just did a self-install of a Beta 38 on a 1974 Tartan 41/43.on eastcoast.Stanley and his people were most helpful and accommodating. And when I needed an extension for the engine harness they made one up for a very reasonable price. The harness included a multi pin connector- male and female and the total price was under $25. They don't try to "screw" you when you buy manuals etc. Very good company to do business with. Tim t43/cb
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:17   #23

Boat: Tayana 37

We installed our own Beta diesel six years ago. The engine has never given us any trouble and starts up on just a touch of the key. If it's really cold and foggy out and you don't use the glow plugs she will crank over two revolutions before starting. I have not had to order many parts besides just the usual filters and belts which are available at you local tractor store and NAPA. The engine we installed has plenty of power for what we need and fuel consumption is minimal. I would highly recomend Beta and if you have specific questions call Stanley in NC. He can help you with any aspect of the repower.
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38   #24

Having recently done a similar repower evaluation with Beta and Westerbeke, I would go with Beta.

I am finding more and more sailors on the dock who have repowered with Beta and have been very happy.

I have had experience with a Volvo and a Yanmar sub 50 hp engines. Both quality engines with long life if you use and maintain them well.

I would ignore the previous negative comment about Beta Marine. Not much info. It could have been number of things BESIDES the engine itself (filters, fuel, install).

Beta seems to get high marks for service and support. And, I like their features and options targeted specifically for marine cruising applications. No other manufacturer offers those features.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:33   #25

to westsail42:
You are right, it could be a number of things and I have said so myself (although at the time I have spent some time trying to trouble-shoot the issue).
Starting, the engine would turn but not catch. Once caught it would work fine. That probably rules out fuel filters. Disconnected glow plugs could be another issue but I dont think so (different behavior if switch is in "on" position prior to starting).
The engine was brand-new when installed, don't know the model number but it was 17 or 20HP.
Sorry I can't provide more details as I don't own that boat any more
EZSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52   #26

BETA, BETA, BETA. Reason: exceptional service.

Here's my interaction with Beta summer '12
Skipper: "OK, that's a nice long list of spares, I'll take all of them. And I need one more spare - metal cap for ... .
Beta: "we don't offer that part - they dont wear out. Why The heck would you need one?
Skipper: "I might drop it and watch it roll under the engine.
Beta: "Hah. Let me check. (Calls back) So I pulled one off an engine in stock. No charge.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, westerbeke