Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 20:13   #16

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko
Re: Wanting to convert to Electric Drive

Hey NCSailor,
As with many things, you will hear all sorts of horror stories from those who haven't really done any research. If you want to hear from those who have done this, I recommend the Yahoo group on this. It is full of good examples of boats just like yours that have made the switch and are very happy. There are clearly trade-offs, as with anything, especially in regards to sailboats. If you want to motor more than sail, as many do, then clearly it is not for you. Think of how you want to use the boat - go read through the yahoo group - then you can make an information based decision.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/electricboats/info

PS: we are in the middle of converting our Bayfield 29.

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 20:47   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The folks on Uma, youtube sailing uma, are going to do a full episode on their electric conversion.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 22:24   #18
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
sounds expensive.
Priced a diesel lately?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:55   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

There is a recent (maybe 2 days old) thread, I think by SteadyHand, that discusses such boats and one of the posts addresses a scenario similar to your boat. Search for it under ' electric sailing boats'.

Otherwise I made an xls some time back where for our 4t boat the cost of conversion came out at 10k. A smallest diesel here is 5k and the diesel is some 200 pounds lighter. I assumed building a hybrid drive with about 4 hrs electric autonomy. I assumed 4-5kW electric drive.

So it does depends on what use one envisions. Some things are simple and 100% doable (e.g. an electric outboard on a smaller boat) while others are possible but also possibly expensive and/or way more complex.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 08:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Priced a diesel lately?
Used, good block, about 50k hours on a utility motor goes for about $2k. that gives around 28-40 hp. Most used transmissions can be gotten for under $500 if the engine does not come with one. Perkins, Detroit, etc. A diesel should be able to get at least 100k hours, if not well more than that before overhaul. Older is better made, imho.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:00   #21

Boat: 25ft wooden boat
Send a message via Skype™ to zloitapok

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
sounds expensive.
Why do you think so? Expensive comparing to what particulary?
zloitapok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:25   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have started (April 2017) a new thread focused on showing photos and data of examples of boats that have been converted to electric motors. This thread will include boats for sale, with current ad links, but it is not a requirement that the boats be for sale today.

Electric Sailboats Illustrated Guide to Boats, Converted, For Sale, and Tips

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-183966.html

IF you have converted your own boat to electric motor, I invite you to look at the thread, and to post some photos of your boat, your own electric motor installation, some specs on your motor and boat (e.g. displacement, LOA, etc.) and your answers to some of the 12 questions I ask in the first post. Please try to answer as many of the questions as possible.

The new thread is intended to be an Illustrated Guide to the types of boats and electric motor installations, and also as a focused thread to show boats that are completed, in project state, or are for sale. Photos are important for that thread.

I hope you and others find the thread helpful, and if you subscribe to it you will see new additions to it. I will be adding new boats I find as I continue searching and researching boats. I will also post a link in that thread to this one here, so that folks will find the good content already posted in this one.

Here is a link to the Original Post:

Electric Sailboats Illustrated Guide to Boats, Converted, For Sale, and Tips
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-183966.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 13:49   #23

Boat: 25ft wooden boat
Send a message via Skype™ to zloitapok

reed1v, sorry, missed your message.
I think electric drive and diesel have different purposes, so can't be compared. Electric is not for long powering, it is for silent, smell free work at few hours, if not genset at board. So, this electric drive setup can be compared to other electric drive setup and not to diesel engine.
zloitapok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:30   #24

Boat: sabre 28

NCS,

I'm putting a 10 KW drive in my 28' as we speak.
Check out Thunderstuck EV.
I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 10kw drive for a 30' catalina.

As others have mentioned, check out the electricseas web site & consider joining the yahoo electric boat forum.

Steady Hand, good call. This should become a good resource for those thinking of making the switch.

Bob
Old 30-04-2017, 14:57   #25

You may consider using a pod drive by Torqeedo. With this you have the very compact motor positioned outside the hull. So you save space inside and you don't need sea cocks for water cooling anymore.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:59   #26

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

A guy in my yacht club has converted to electric for his race boat. He located the batteries low in the bilge and was able to remove ballast to compensate. Should he need longer range, he will bring along a small Honda generator and some gas.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric