Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2024, 13:42   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
Volvo Penta 2003T TDC mark

hello,
i'm wondering if the marks i see on the crank pulley and stationary mark on block are used for determining TDC? I've asked on another platform and i got was that volvo penta does not mark for this on the pulley, so i'm wondering why the marks on pulley and block?
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	285019  
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 19:15   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 2003T TDC mark

That mark on your pulley looks like the first digit of “15” and you’ll find additional numbers stamped on the wheel.

But I just adjusted the valves on my 2003T and can assure you there was no TDC mark on my pulley. Although I did see a video where a 2002 seemed to have a mark designating TDC.

So whether or not there is a mark doesn’t really matter. Because you still need to check for TDC by watching the valves rock (exhaust closes and inlet just starts to open) and then adding in one full rotation for full compression TDC.

Even if there was a mark, the pulley may have been removed at some point and reinstalled in a different orientation.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:48   #3

ok, i did just that and going to do over to make sure. rocking the valves is a good method but i just can't fathom why VP would have the engine block with a raised mark and have it not correspond to a mark on the crank pulley? i'm using 3/4 ratchet wrench off crank pulley bolt to turn over engine and maybe i have a pretty good mechanical advantage but i thought the compression stroke would be more difficult to turn. i think i'm going to also check my compression with a gauge next to make sure.
thanks for the response.
Old 04-01-2024, 14:13   #4

I had not even noticed that particular bump out from the block before, but looking at a photo of my engine, don’t see any marks on mine. If you had the v belt on, I think it would block that from sight.

The fact that you don’t have the v belt means you aren’t turning the alternator or the circ pump. But you should definitely be able to hear compression in each cylinder as you turn the crank shaft. Also check that the decompression lever is all the way clockwise for compression. It is fine to decompress if you need to get the crank moving, but put it back before you rotate into TDC.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 14:30   #5

Hi Silver-Surfer, I have no useful comment about the raised mark on the timing cover but I can explain the hole alongside it. European engine builders often neglected to stamp marks for timing the fuel injection and preferred that the tech used a protractor screwed onto the front pulley. The volvo 2000 series required a timing disk with a locating dowel to be attached to the front pulley and the timing pin went through one of 3 holes in the disc and into the hole shown in your photo on the timing cover. It was only used to phase and re shim the injector pumps if the original shims were lost, new pumps fitted or if a new camshaft was installed.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 14:43   #6

ok, i used to have a 2003 in my other sailboat and it had the decompression lever, this 2003T does not. i purchased a compression tester and injector insert for the 2003 and just to check what compression i am getting. thanks
Old 04-01-2024, 14:57   #7

haha that's perfect. well how overly complicated way of timing. not sure how much this matters, but i had a broken injector pump and replaced with new from merlin diesel in england. i got 3 new units for around $200 delivered. only issue is the shims i had originally went back on because neither my block or the original pumps had markings for shims. .04 or whatever. the new ones did however but without the deck of the block having a number, what would i gauge it to? it ran ok. also when i removed the head for rebuilding the injector had copper washers on the tips. ??? checking the copper spray cups, they were fine and i just clean them up. i think whoever installed them thought they needed the washers as other volvos don't have spray cups. when i fire it up i guess i'll find out if they were added to fix blow by.
Old 04-01-2024, 19:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
haha that's perfect. well how overly complicated way of timing. not sure how much this matters, but i had a broken injector pump and replaced with new from merlin diesel in england. i got 3 new units for around $200 delivered. only issue is the shims i had originally went back on because neither my block or the original pumps had markings for shims. .04 or whatever. the new ones did however but without the deck of the block having a number, what would i gauge it to? it ran ok. also when i removed the head for rebuilding the injector had copper washers on the tips. ??? checking the copper spray cups, they were fine and i just clean them up. i think whoever installed them thought they needed the washers as other volvos don't have spray cups. when i fire it up i guess i'll find out if they were added to fix blow by.
Perfectly correct about the block numbers and shim thickness, I’ve always avoided the 2002 VP’s but every now and then I get to do a pump or injector repair..... there aren’t many of these engines left now. If you have to wing it without the service tool always err on the high side, not many bad things happen to engines with late timing but too few shims gives you the more damaging early timing and the possibility of bottoming out the injector pump plunger on the underside of the delivery valve body..... thats very bad. I dunno what the “spray cups “ are but I’m glad you got er up and running happily with the new pumps.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo