Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 14:42   #31

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat
Re: Scuffing a Yanmar YSE 12 clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Like the tri you built that you call a cat, bet its a goer.
Actually that pic is a tri... in fact, I called it a flying tri, because you always sailed it flat, with both amas out of the water. (If you're stationary, one float or the other would be on the water.) Fast and a little scary.

The cat is still under construction, and is much tamer.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 12:58   #32

Boat: CS 27

Hello Will10MNT;

Just wondering whatever came about with scuffing or replacing your Yanmar YSE-12 Clutch?

I'm very curious to find out what happened as I may have the same problem with mine.

Many thanks!
-Troy
Troy H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 13:02   #33

Boat: 1972 Morgan Out Island, 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy H2O View Post
Hello Will10MNT;

Just wondering whatever came about with scuffing or replacing your Yanmar YSE-12 Clutch?

I'm very curious to find out what happened as I may have the same problem with mine.

Many thanks!
-Troy
Hey there from the shore,
I have since sold the boat and moved onto land, for now.
We actually bought another yanmar tranmsission off ebay and took the parts out of that one as doing so was cheaper then getting the parts alone from any kind of dealer we could find. It was still a hard job, especially because we did it with the boat still in the water, but she ended up working. When we had to move it suddenly before we finished though, we were able to simply turn the clutch plate around and traded out only having reverse for only having foward, which can be a viable solution for the short term.
Will10MNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 15:41   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy H2O View Post
Hello Will10MNT;

Many thanks!
-Troy
I can help with replacement friction discs for your YSE 12 clutch pack, will send you a PM.
I'm not sure you can "scuff " flat friction discs, only heard of that for cone clutches but dont know for sure.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 13:52   #35

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will10MNT View Post
Hey there from the shore,
I have since sold the boat and moved onto land, for now.
We actually bought another yanmar tranmsission off ebay and took the parts out of that one as doing so was cheaper then getting the parts alone from any kind of dealer we could find. It was still a hard job, especially because we did it with the boat still in the water, but she ended up working. When we had to move it suddenly before we finished though, we were able to simply turn the clutch plate around and traded out only having reverse for only having foward, which can be a viable solution for the short term.
Thanks Will10MNT;

Picking up a new transmission might be a better option. Those older ones are getting hard to come by. Not sure on this engine if you could fit a transmission on it or if it is one unit. It is now tucked away for winter storage - that explains part of my delay, work and no alerts to my email explain the rest. Sorry for the delay reply - much appreciated.

-Troy

Compass790:
Also, sorry for the delay - apparently I was not getting alerted to the replies.
I haven't run across anyone who actually scuffed the discs on this transmission. So I think you are right. It's either the replacement parts or a old or new transmission. But look forward to your PM. troymdoyle at gmail dot com
Will monitor that email better.
Thanks!
-Troy
Troy H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 17:51   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Compass790:
Also, sorry for the delay - apparently I was not getting alerted to the replies.
I haven't run across anyone who actually scuffed the discs on this transmission. So I think you are right. It's either the replacement parts or a old or new transmission. But look forward to your PM. troymdoyle at gmail dot com
Will monitor that email better.
Thanks!
-Troy[/QUOTE]

Troy,
snt u PM & email. IIRC you probably have to sign up for email alerts but I'm no 'puter wiz
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, yanmar