Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 11:14   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
How to secure a Torqeedo

The Torqeedo Travel 1003 is a wonderful, clean, extremely lightweight form of modest propulsion. We've added the 915WH battery to our arsenal so we can tool around virtually all day without a recharge. But how do we secure it while ashore? It disassembles into three pieces in seconds. Only the battery has a handle through which to pass a lock. Even at thirty pounds it's more than we care to lug to the grocery store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torqeedo.png
Views:	173
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	170731  
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:53   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: How to secure a Torqeedo

On our 1003, I installed a small (1/4" diameter bolt) U-bolt in the aluminum chassis below the battery "ears". I then Nicopressed a 30" long, 1/8" diameter SS cable onto it with a larger bronze clip on the other end. This gets used as a "don't drop it" safety when lowering and installing the motor, but will also allow a padlock to secure everything.
You could just drill a hole there, but I thought that would look ugly

Anything involving smaller SS cable and padlocks is pretty much just a "keep an honest man honest" tool anyway, especially around boats where every cruiser has a bolt cutter or better aboard.

I looked, but I couldn't find a picture - and I won't be back aboard until next week - sri!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:30   #3

Thanks for your reply. I will eagerly look forward to a pic when you are back aboard! Rich
Old 31-05-2018, 18:39   #4

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Hi Rich,

It was raining, so I went thru my pictures and I found three somewhat fuzzy ones of what I did .

We're looking at the right side of the chassis - the battery would extend to the left here, and the control would extend to the right. The U-bolt is about 1/2" above the bottom of the chassis - about as close as I could get it. There is actually quite a bit of room in there, but I figured that closest to the edge would be the strongest spot.

Another picture.. the loop of SS cable is hard to see, unfortunately.

This one is a bit bigger, but unfortunately it isn't very clear.

Do these help any?

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor-1348.JPG
Views:	1935
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	170888   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor-8974.JPG
Views:	1956
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	170890  

Attached Images

Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 20:33   #5

I get what you did. Thanks! That u- bolt would allow me to secure the shaft and prop as well as the battery to the dink. I would only have to carry the tiller arm when ashore. Cheap and easy! Thanks so much! Rich
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51   #6

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm seriously considering one as well. How small are the parts when broken down?
Any chance they would fit in a bow locker on a AB Lammina 9.5? Ideally I'd like to store in there and add a lock to the bow locker for safe keeping.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm seriously considering one as well. How small are the parts when broken down?
Any chance they would fit in a bow locker on a AB Lammina 9.5? Ideally I'd like to store in there and add a lock to the bow locker for safe keeping.
We have an AB 10 and there is no way you could fit our Torqeedo in our bow locker. The motor section is about 2 1/2 feet long. You could fit the tiller arm and battery in there. I would not keep these engine parts out in the elements, however. I bought the Torqeedo storage bags and keep them on our aft cabin sole.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:51   #8

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
We have an AB 10 and there is no way you could fit our Torqeedo in our bow locker. The motor section is about 2 1/2 feet long. You could fit the tiller arm and battery in there. I would not keep these engine parts out in the elements, however. I bought the Torqeedo storage bags and keep them on our aft cabin sole.
Thanks for the reply. I was only thinking of locking the parts in there while ashore. While on the boat it seems light enough to store on board.

I'm in the process of removing weight out of the rear of my boat so I can replace that weight with solar panels. Ordered the Lammina 9.5 to replace an AB10 fiberglass. Moving my Yamaha Enduro 15 up front unless needed and using a 1003 seems like a good way to do it.
The Dinghy is about 70 pounds lighter. A Torqeedo would be around 55-60 less than the Yamaha.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was only thinking of locking the parts in there while ashore. While on the boat it seems light enough to store on board.

I'm in the process of removing weight out of the rear of my boat so I can replace that weight with solar panels. Ordered the Lammina 9.5 to replace an AB10 fiberglass. Moving my Yamaha Enduro 15 up front unless needed and using a 1003 seems like a good way to do it.
The Dinghy is about 70 pounds lighter. A Torqeedo would be around 55-60 less than the Yamaha.
Ah. Gotcha. Different story. You'll need to leave the engine shaft on the boat with a lock. We bought a 915 wh battery to greatly extend our time/ range btw. The price match from West Marine is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-09-2018, 15:10   #10

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I use a Masterlock cable through the battery handle. I run it through a hole in the transom area and shorten it enough that it cannot be lifted enough to get it off the drive portion so it cannot be taken off the boat. I just put a lock through the screw on transom handles it in a sketchy area. Usually the battery lock is all I use.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
I use a Masterlock cable through the battery handle. I run it through a hole in the transom area and shorten it enough that it cannot be lifted enough to get it off the drive portion so it cannot be taken off the boat. I just put a lock through the screw on transom handles it in a sketchy area. Usually the battery lock is all I use.

Jim
You take the tiller with you?
Old 24-09-2018, 05:06   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47

No. The tiller is someone’s if they want it. [emoji3] I really just assume the battery is the only thing that would be easy to fence. The rest would just be a headache to any good thief.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:39   #13

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Not shown in the pictures below: I added another cable to secure the handle, and a brass padlock to tie it all together. The other end of the cable is locked to the transom. This won't stop a determined thief with tools, but it might thwart the opportunist. I added my initials in permanent marker in a visible place on each piece, and engraved the undersides using a Dremel bit. Lock pin is 3/8" or 10mm aluminum.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 04:26   #14

Boat: 36 Catalina

SailFastTri, you receive the mechanical engineer of the forum award! Thank you for your idea, very neat and secure!
Tippingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote