Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 13:51   #1

Boat: Samson 36 ft
Rebuilt volvo

Mornin all.
I have not been on for a while but I am hoping someone can give me a clue on cost of installing a motor in my 36ft Sampson.
The motor in at the moment is a 2003T salt water cooled Volvo penta,it runs okay but am sure it has plenty of corrosion,took drain plug out and solid sludge inside.
So. I have managed to get hold of a completely rebuilt same model Volvo Penta only fresh water cooled,this motor is like new ,right down to the last nut and bolt,and was removed from a canal barge in uk ,never been in salt water.
The purchase cost seemed okay,shipping also not that dear,but to get it into OZ cost half the price I paid for the motor.
The motor comes with new gearbox,engine mounts,and complete wiring loom and control panel and it should sit straight back in the place of old motor,no need to change anything there.
In a weeks time I am planning to motor down from Mooloolaba to Montys in the Caboolture river to bring her out of the water and clean and feshen up everything,.
I am sure somewhere on the forum their will be an answer to this but if anybody can help on this one I would appreciate it plenty..
Tony in Briz
TonyQld100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 14:13   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Rebuilt volvo

Tony, nice to hear from you, and welcome back to the forum.

First off there are still a few questions to be answered. Is the old engine still in the boat? Do you plan on doing the work yourself? Do you have a mechanic? Does the yard have a boom truck or the like to pull the engine or place the new engine?

Generally speaking, it would take a decent mechanic 2 days to install a like engine for a like engine. Maybe a little less if everything goes great and maybe a little more is it doesn't. Most decent mechanics are going to charge 75-125 per hour plus parts. Which would more than likely be new hoses, exhaust, maybe a few bolts and so on. Next, is the transmition exactly the same as the old one. It could have a different gear ratio which would mean you would need to change the pitch of the prop or replace the prop. There are a lot of variables, realy to many to make an gess that would be meaningful. To through out a number, I would guess 2000 to 5000. Wide range, but it all depends on how it goes.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Tony, nice to hear from you, and welcome back to the forum.

First off there are still a few questions to be answered. Is the old engine still in the boat? Do you plan on doing the work yourself? Do you have a mechanic? Does the yard have a boom truck or the like to pull the engine or place the new engine?

Generally speaking, it would take a decent mechanic 2 days to install a like engine for a like engine. Maybe a little less if everything goes great and maybe a little more is it doesn't. Most decent mechanics are going to charge 75-125 per hour plus parts. Which would more than likely be new hoses, exhaust, maybe a few bolts and so on. Next, is the transmition exactly the same as the old one. It could have a different gear ratio which would mean you would need to change the pitch of the prop or replace the prop. There are a lot of variables, realy to many to make an gess that would be meaningful. To through out a number, I would guess 2000 to 5000. Wide range, but it all depends on how it goes.

Hi Rocketman.
thanks for the reply.

At this stage the old motor is still in place,as for doing it myself, I would like to but not too confident on that one . .I called in to the yard on way home from my boat to have a chat,and a bloke who works in the yard said it should be fairly straight forward and he was willing to give me a hand.so very nice of him .At this time I have no machanic lined up.
I take your point on transmition not sure at the moment ,but looks exactly same as the old one ,if that's anything to go by? But now I know ratio could be different I will double check to make sure,thankyou for pointing that out.
Again than you,and will keep my fingers crossed that it is the bottom end of your estimate .
Cheers for that
Old 27-04-2013, 17:14   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Now that I have some more information, and know that the old engine is still in place, and that you are willing to at least give it a go with maybe a slightly more experienced helper I can offer some better advise.

Unless one of you is experienced with replacing engines, I would advise that you take pictures of everything, including hard to see areas while the old engine is still there. Next, as you dissassemble the engine to take it out, diagram anything that seems like it could be confused when you put it back, particularly any wires that you have to cut or remove.

More than likely you will need a boom truck or something like this to remove the old engine. I have heard of people using the boom of there sailboat and a block and tackle to remove and replace the old and new engine, and you may be able to do a quick search on this forum to see how others have done it in the past if you don't have access to a boom truck.

Next take your time, this isn't rocket science. 2 people with a little muscle can do it.

Replace all hoses and lines, clamps, and so on that has anything to do with the engine that is left in the boat after you remove the engine. It is so much easier to do it now, and since you have a freash engine all of the other stuff more than likely will need to be replaced also.

Keep us informed and let us know how your doing. Again this isn't hard to do, and if you and you helper do it it shouldn't cost very much at all. Maybe less than 1000.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:26   #5

Yes they use a forklift with an extended boom for lifting out motors,,so that sounds good. As you say replace all hoses etc ,I shall replace everything while it is easier to do that,also feel I should have the shaft bearings done while on the hard.
I certainly will have the camera on hand ,good idea , I'v got a memory like a sieve,so will be in need of pics .
Yep will keep you informed as to how we are getting on with it ,there is quite a bit of other fix ups to do ,scrape clean and paint mostly,but also looking for an auto electrician to run new wiring ,looks as though several people over the years have had a go at it ,result being plenty of wires going know where.
cheers again .

Tags
volvo