Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 21:36   #16
cruiser

Boat: Beneteau 351
Re: Perkins M30 is this motor legitimate?

This issue still hasn't been completely resolved.
And dodging around the last month's fires and smoke hasn't helped.
However as suggested by some of you Parts 4 Engines in the UK have been great and had the parts to me in 3 days.
The original cause of the disaster was the breakage of a pre combustion chamber that fell into the cylinder thus destroying the piston. These pre combustion chambers while being a critical part of the engine cannot be purchased new. Even though they are a separate and press fit in the head, suppliers told me they only come as part of a new head.
I eventually had 2 of them sent to me from a motor salvage company in Britain. I am still amazed there doesn't appear to be anything fixing these things in place. They are pressed into the head then the injectors screw in on top with a gap of about 20mm.

When I got the motor back together and started, it ran slowly for around 10 minutes then seized. The first thing I thought was "Great, another broken pre combustion chamber and piston."
But those were all fine, it's a seized conrod bearing from low oil pressure.
At last, something I know how to deal with.
Online sites to do with Perkins still don't recognise any variation of my engine number. Strange.
john murfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 22:22   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update. I hope you get the next problems resolved quickly, especially the causes of low oil pressure.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 14:48   #18

Thanks! I was wondering why my 2003 Beneteau first 36.7 is supposed to have a Volvo Penta but the engine tag says perkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Very legitimate. Perkins made this engine exactly the same for Volvo Penta as the MD 2030. Perkins is now owned by Caterpillar. Perkins originally imported the blocks from a venerable Japanese company, Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery (ISM). Perkins marinized the engine and marketed it as the Perama M30. Between the Perama/Perkins M 30 and the Volvo Penta MD 2030 you shouldn't have a problem searching for parts although your engine may be toast anyway. It seems odd that any Perkins repair service would disavow knowledge of this particular model given 10's of thousands were sold for marine and farm use. Yours could, in fact, be some odd occurrence of a counterfeit of some sort. Best of luck with the repair.
Yangyangyyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, perkins