Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 20:37   #16

Boat: 38 Down Easter
Re: Perkins cold start aid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Due to the distance, between power source and unit, I would put a relay in the circuit. Smaller gauge for triggering the higher amperage coil circuit. Also a heavier gauge wire for the coil element power source.
It's 3 feet.. o.O
atraitees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:37   #17

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

I have 12g wire and no relay and never had an issue with a total wire length of ~20' or so (Battery, to engine batt switch, to push button at cockpit and finally to the engine).

It is quite a bit of current. The main way I verify it's working is I look at my ammeter on my instrument cluster in the cockpit when I push the button. It drops the starting battery from 13V to ~11-12V, so lots of current. But it is not energized for a very long time so any heat build up in the wire is temporary, i.e. low duty cycle.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 09:09   #18

Boat: 38 Down Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I have 12g wire and no relay and never had an issue with a total wire length of ~20' or so (Battery, to engine batt switch, to push button at cockpit and finally to the engine).

It is quite a bit of current. The main way I verify it's working is I look at my ammeter on my instrument cluster in the cockpit when I push the button. It drops the starting battery from 13V to ~11-12V, so lots of current. But it is not energized for a very long time so any heat build up in the wire is temporary, i.e. low duty cycle.
Awesome info. Thanks for the reply. Looking at the volt gauge gives me a better idea to run the wire to the cockpit.

Thx again!
atraitees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, wiring