Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 12:58   #16

Boat: MacGregor 26X
Re: Oil pressure. Optional or necessary?

As a former automech I will say not necessary but I sure would want to have one.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:10   #17

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know I think it is very common for a sailboat to have no other instrumentation other than a tachometer, my 4JHE has a low oil pressure and I assume high temperature alarm, no gauges.
When you first turn on the key, you should get an alarm, this alarm should go off very soon after the engine starts, that is the low oil pressure alarm, I think what you are mistaking for a transducer is actually a switch that operates the low oil pressure alarm.
I will likely one day add a gauge, but the alarm is the one I consider the most important, unless your watching the gauge very often

I have the 4JHE also. I like gauges, always owned high end sports cars, Jags, etc that come with full instrument package so I'm used to watching gauges.
On my boat I added oil and temp gauges at the helm years ago. I often take a dock cruise and the gauges are useful to know how long to run the engine, usually between 20 and 60 minutes at 1800rpm and jockey between fwd and reverse to give it a load.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:39   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Plesse rethink your question. In fact you do not need a single gauge. BUT... It is gold to know when your oil pressure drops to zero an your buzzer moans. Safed my engines life...
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:42   #19

Boat: Reliance 44

I usually do not contribute on the forum but this subject is dear to my heart.
I went for years relying on an audible alarm on my Perkin prima 60. I finally installed a 4 inch stainless pressure gage in the cockpit I ran a ss braided ptfe hose from the pressure switch to the cockpit bulkhead.
A month later a hole opened up on the oil line on the side of the engine and the oil was gone in a matter of seconds. I think if I had relied on the alarm I may have hesitated to shut down the engine. I believe the gage saved the engine.
ottewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:01   #20

get a gauge, by the time the alarm goes off its too late
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:55   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i would ditch the fuel gauge. they never work.
i would make sure i have oil pressure and i would love oil temp. water temp is important and i have been living without tach, but enjoy them when i have em..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:03   #22

Boat: GibSea 472

Gauges are very usefull to let warn you, very early,, well before a problem becomes too big to deal with. Probems may be low oil level, wrong oil type, or filter, cooling problem. Many problems develop slowly, and can be corrected much sooner. I would'nt no go without a good set of gauges.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 08:31   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Gauges are good tools to show pending engine problems, but alarms are probably better for people that don't view their gauges often. I have both.
Yes. This.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil