Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 10:51   #46

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff
Re: Must Oil Filter Be Filled After Oil Change?

Air in system caused by draining and air in filter will cause slow deliver of oil. Some very high capacity oil pump systems this will be very short time, but always a good idea to pre-pressure oil by cranking engine with fuel shut off until you get pressure. Particularly if you have turbo or an unusual installation. A few engines used to recommend filling the filter, but doing it this way will really help. If you have air block on pickup tube in the crankcase or oil reservoir this is essential... There are very unusual engine situations. Some engines run under extreme pressure that requires special lubricants that do not explode if they have oxygen available... but then we do not run into those things at sea level.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:43   #47

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

No. You do not have to fill the filter (unless called for by the manufacturer).

In 60 odd years of doing (1000's of) oil changes on virtually every kind of engine imaginable (except aircraft) I have never pre-filled a filter and have never had a problem.

When you change the oil and filter, add enough new oil to the max level on the dip-stick. Start the engine, let it run 'til the oil light goes off/gauge comes up to pressure. Stop the engine and re-check the oil level. Odds are that it will be about mid-point between max and min. Good-to-go.

Oh, and for those that think oil is 'clean'? Just because you can't see the dirt doesn't mean it isn't there. 30+ years ago I sold a huge filtration system to a major motor oil company. Their spec was to filter down to 30 micron (beta 30 @ 90%). Why 30 micron? Because the human eye can't see that small. This sale was the result of the company going to a light colored, translucent plastic container, and people were noticing the dirt in their new oil from the factory.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 10:39   #48

Not necessary to fill filter but a trick I used is to turn over engine with kill lever or switch active. When oil pressure alarm goes off you know engine has lubricated. At that point start engine and check for leaks. BTW , sometimes may take 20-30 seconds for oiled pressure to come up so as not to stress starter do it in 10 second intervals.
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 11:08   #49

No ive never done this 45 years as a mecanic oil is pushed through the filter, probably confusion with derv fillter which is always best to put some desil in before its put on as many paper elements resist until soaked
Alan green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 13:56   #50

Hi, the Cummins B series is the only engine that I have had to fill the Oil filter with oil after an engine rebuild. It just would not pickup any oil from the sump, even though everything was well lubricated during the rebuild. There is a correct way to fill any filter with either Fuel or Oil. Never fill the filter by just filling it through the larger threaded center hole, always fill through the outer ring of holes until full. There is less change of contamination or debris being transferred into the oil passages within the engine.
Lowesmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 01:53   #51

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
No need to fill an oil filter

Do wipe fresh oil on the new oil filters O ring before installation

The filter that is worthwhile to fill is the fuel filter
Saves much time when bleeding the air from the system

Hard lesson in diesel filter side. Yes not part of the oil system. But I wish to emphasize what you said for other non-mechanics and newcomers. Not pre filling diesel filter caused me many difficulties restarting and bleeding the system.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 09:09   #52

Boat: Oyster 49 Pilot House

Hi, I have never done it as it is not necessary. Might save some time pumping the oil thru the system but you willl spill putting the filter back on. Hate that....
Marekaofholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change, oil filter