Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2023, 06:31   #1
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29
mechanics to rebuild raw water pump

I m heading south on the icw and will be Jacksonville area by tomorrow. Any recommendation for a yard/marina/mechanics to rebuild my water pump">raw water pump (yamnar 3ym30). It is dripping and I already changed the o-ring but it is still dripping. Also I don't have the rebuilt kit (any idea if where to buy it locally)? I can stop at Jacksonville, st. Augustine or any place south of that till West Palm Beach.
Thanks
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 07:51   #2

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran
Re: mechanics to rebuild raw water pump

Can't help in that area but I have two 3YM30AEC's. It is going to be cheaper to get the whole assembly than to try and get somebody to rebuild it. Very easy to install.
Mine uses part # 128995-42500 from Mastery Engine Center,
5400 118th Ave N, Clearwater, FL 33760
727-522-9471
They will ship it to you if you can't find it in Jacksonville.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 01:08   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

As long as the bearings are ok, just replace the lip seal. It is a standard 24 X 12 X 7 lip seal with a stainless gaiter spring available at any bearing shop.
Take the pump out, remove the impeller and then the difficult bit is removing the seal using some form of hooked pick. Push the new seal in and replace impeller and cover.
I do this every year as the seals are cheap, so far it has kept the bilge and engine dry for over 7 years without needing a pump rebuild.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 10:20   #4
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29

FYI, I ended up buying the hole pump. It is cheaper this way and fixed the problem. And now I have an old one that I can rebuild later.
BTW, I did replace the o-ring but it was still leaking.
Thanks to all
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:20   #5

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST View Post
FYI, I ended up buying the hole pump. It is cheaper this way and fixed the problem. And now I have an old one that I can rebuild later.
BTW, I did replace the o-ring but it was still leaking.
Thanks to all
Before you buy parts, see if you can get the old one apart. It's a lot harder than you would think, the bearings get corroded in.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:13   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The O ring is situated behind the lip seal in a poor attempt to prevent any leakage past the seal on to the bearing which then fails. Changing it will have no effect on leaks. It is the lip seal just behind the impeller that leaks water after a year or two. Repacing the seal yearly is no big deal and you should be replacing the impeller then anyway. After a long time the seals can wear a groove in the shaft so that the seal leaks earlier.
As you say, having a spare pump will allow you to refurb and carry a quck replacement.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 13:46   #7

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

When using lip seals in salt water applications, I always replace the spring-steel coil spring inside the seal with a rubber "O" ring. The steel spring will corrode quickly, the rubber will last far longer.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechanic, pump, raw water, raw water pump, rebuild, water, water pump