Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 15:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Marine Fuel Line Hose

You may use USCG Type A1 hose for any application.

Type "A" hose has to pass the 2 ½ minute fire test, Type "B" does not.
The difference between Class 1 and 2 is the permeability. A1 and B1 pass much less (about 1/3) than do A2 and B2.

SAE Standard J1527, Marine Fuel Hoses, specifies requirements for two types, three classes, and four styles of reinforced hose and nonreinforced tubing for conveying gasoline or diesel fuel aboard small craft including pleasure craft whose fuel systems are regulated under 33 CFR 183 Subpart J.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 76' custom - 1932 - see website

Well, DeepFrz. I thought it would, but - - -.

ABYC recommends type B. Gord says that type B does not pass the 2.5 min fire test. Why would ABYC make such a recommendation. If I want a fire resistant hose I've got to go against the ABYC recommendation. Also, from the Amazon hose shop, you should use A above the water line and B below.
norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 17:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) recommends the Type B1 fuel hose for diesel-based applications. The Type A1 hose is the best option for gasoline supply. This hose is less permeable, highly durable, heat resistant and does not collapse under high pressure or vacuum.
Does this clear it up? You can use A1 if you like but its not necessary.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 17:41   #19

I once replaced the copper lines, with USCG approved hose. I forget the spec at the time, but the stuff was about 3/4 OD for a 5/16 ID! It was actually more work and trouble prone than just replacing the old copper with new soft copper.... (tended to leak enough to cause a dampness on the hose ends and also would spin on the barb fitting no matter how tight you made the clamp... probably because the hose was so thick and tough, the clamp wasnt up to the task!)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ABYC Section H33.6.1 states:
Flexible hose shall comply with the requirements of UL 1114 Marine (USCG Type A) Flexible Fuel Line Hose, or SAE J1527, Marine fuel hoses.

Use Type A1.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:00   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

33 C.F.R. Subpart J - Fuel Systems
Subpart J—Fuel Systems :: PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT :: CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY :: Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia

183.558 Hoses and connections.

(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be “USCG Type A1” hose.

(b) Each hose used—

(1) For a vent line or fill line must be:

(i) “USCG Type A1”
or “USCG Type A2”; or

(ii) “USCG Type B1” or “USCG Type B2” if no more than five ounces of fuel is discharged in 21/2 minutes when:

(A) The hose is severed at the point where maximum drainage of fuel would occur,

(B) The boat is in its static floating position, and

(C) The fuel system is filled to the capacity market on the tank label under §183.514(b)(3).

(2) From the fuel tank to the fuel inlet connection on the engine must be:

(i) “USCG Type A1”
; or

(ii) “USCG Type B1” if no more than five ounces of fuel is discharged in 21/2 minutes when:

(A) The hose is severed at the point where maximum drainage of fuel would occur,

(B) The boat is in its static floating position, and

(C) The fuel system is filled to the capacity marked on the tank label under §183.514(b)(3).

Old 07-08-2011, 06:39   #22
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

So where do aluminum ,stainless and copper fuel lines rank in the abyc ratings game? Ive been contemplating using the aluminum fuel lines commonly used in auto racing applications with the matching aluminum fittings.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Gord - and Everyone.

Good old regulation speek. Reg 183.558 is silent about whether the fuel is gas or diesel but since it talks about a carburator, do we conclude it is speaking about gas? From the new boat builders site, I see that B1 is less fire resistant and also harder to find. I think A1 is the hose for me to use.

Don't know about aluminun or stainless. I'd be a bit wary, especially about aluminum. Pretty soft stuff and suseptable to bad things in the marine environment.

Again - thanks for the interest guys!!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10   #24
Marine Service Provider

Hey Cheechako.

I was actually surprised that hose with clamps is acceptable to the CG. I would have thought that I would have had to have fittings that were machine inserted and afixed. I notices somewhere that the barb end of the clampable fitting has to be long enough to accomodate two clamps. In looking around at these fittings in various placed in Anacortes, I see that some are actually borderline for double clamping. Some - in the Fisheries Supply catalogue actually state that they are designed for double clamps. Could your dampness probleb be related to the fitting and clamp rather than the hose? What hose did you use? Just curious to learn from others experiences.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26   #25

Hi Norwester. I'm in Mount Vernon about 15 miles from you. This was a boat I rebuilt about 20 years ago, so unfortunately I dont know what hose it actually was. It was purchased from Fisheries though, as was most of my stuff, or at Doc Freemans. It was super thick stuff. I agree... just say no to clamps! having commercial hose with swaged ends would be the best way to go... although the problem is often ABYC/USCG... dont know if there is a hose that meets the spec and can be swaged etc. It was single clamps, the hose OD was probably about 3/4+. Problem with that size is the mini clamps are not very robust and the wider clamps dont really make a nice even circle.. I think I went to double clamps in the problem areas. It was Brass barb fittings. The hose just wasnt very compressible. Personally I would use copper except to the engine... there i would use stainless shielded braided hose rated for diesel, Regardless if it had a USCG spec or not!
"I was actually surprised that hose with clamps is acceptable to the CG." I dont believe the CG inspects pleasure vessels for compliance to anything...?... except at the manufacturer. You see many boats out there with clamped fuel lines... as you probably know.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 02:48   #26

Where to buy the hose fittings and connections between Racor fuel filters. Are these just thred and hose barb fittings with short hose lengths.
Any suggestions where to find this information.
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel