Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2009, 12:23   #16

ok so here is my first dumb question. what happens when your out there on the open sea and the wind dies down? has that happened to anyone here? and how long do you have to go on gas before it kicks up enough to move that boat again?
OandD4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 13:26   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If sailing was "work" I wouldn't do it.

It is physical at times.....but if my 80 something year old Dad can still single hand-----Ucan2.

Firearms? Just search this site for "firearms". They discuss it a muerto ad nauseaum.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 13:54   #18

i showed my wife some pics of Trawlers and its a no go on that. we are going to our local Marinas this coming weekend. trying to get a first hand look and see what we like or don't like. also maybe we'l get lucky and see someone sailing. get a look at whats involved.
Old 28-09-2009, 14:00   #19
Eternal Member

Where are you located? If there is a sailing school close by call'em up and tell'em your story.....what you want to do....you'll probably get invited for a sail.....

no wingtips, workboots, golf shoes or high heels.....hahahahaha
Old 28-09-2009, 15:14   #20

i'm in the Bronx NY, i know there are a couple of schools, i wasn't planning on taking Sailing classes, i figured on taking navigation and charting, rules of the road, and some kind of hands on for the type of boat i buy. but now i'm going to include sailing.
Old 28-09-2009, 15:24   #21

Back in the late 90s we had a 26' weekender cruiser powered by a 260 Mercruiser which was a 350 Chev with a 4 BBL. We got 2.5 MPG max with it, didn't matter whether it was on plane or not, it used the same amount of fuel at displacement speed as it did at a reasonable cruising plane. That was a well tuned engine with less than 400 hours on a well maintained boat with a slippery bottom.

We tested it very closely several times and as long as we were only turning cruising RPMs (3200 gave about 22 knots) that's all we got, if we turned up the wick we would drop to less than 1.5 mpg. We did better than most people we knew. We now have a 36 foot sailboat that uses less than a gallon an hour, when we use the motor, which we don't very often. Of course, when we sail, which is what we do mostly, it is FREE! Sort of.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 15:39   #22
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
When the wind dies down often the seas lag a bit flattening out. This causes the sail to flog as the mast swings back and forth. This is when I bag the sails and fire up the noisemaker.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 16:18   #23
Eternal Member

I am not talking about taking a course, per se

Something like...Hi! I am J Anyguy, (tell your story here). I don't know if I would enjoy sailing....do you know of any clubs or anybody that would like to introduce me to sailing? Play it sincere and you never know. I know a number of people in my area who would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OandD4ever View Post
i'm in the Bronx NY, i know there are a couple of schools, i wasn't planning on taking Sailing classes, i figured on taking navigation and charting, rules of the road, and some kind of hands on for the type of boat i buy. but now i'm going to include sailing.
Old 29-09-2009, 01:07   #24

this is the Bronx NY, the only thing a sincere story gets you around here is a free coffee as they show you the price list. LOL. but it wouldn't hurt. at the bare minimum i might show up with a cooler of beer in the trunk and ask if i can ride with someone as we knock a couple back. not that might work. LOL.
Old 29-09-2009, 01:47   #25

ok so who makes an inexpensive sail boat thats as automated as possible. what make and modles should i be looking for? in the range of 24 to 30 feet.
Old 29-09-2009, 07:45   #26

What's inexpensive? To some that's $2k, to others it's $50k. There are a ton of inexpensive sailboats in the 30 feet and under range.

There's only so much automation available for sailing. The main things to look for that I can think of would be a roller furling headsail (much easier than hanking a sail on) and self-tailing winches (they hold the line on the winch instead of having to quickly tie and re-tie the lines).
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 08:30   #27

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
A nice little used Bristol 29 (or smaller) would do nicely. Here's a link to an owners association site.
Bristol Owners' Association Home Page

and David's B29 restoration site
Bristol 29 A restoration site for owners and admirers of Bristol Yachts

And here are several in your "general" area:
bristol (Sail) Boats For Sale
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:01   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you are willing to share your budget. You will get some answers.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:37   #29

Quote:
HHHHHHooooolllllllllyyyyyyyyyy Sheeet. that's a lot of money. looks like we're getting a 20something searay or bayliner. we still would like a cabin cruiser with sleeping quarters. so no open seas, LOL, i guess i won't miss what i never had. LOL

so lets say i get a 24 footer, i'm sure it would use mush less fuel and we can still go out a couple of miles for fishing and weekend trips RIGHT????
Now you are in my territory

I have a 2007 Searay 220 Sunsport with the Mercruiser 5.0 MPI. I found that it cruised nicely at 30knots using around 40 litres per hour. Any faster the lph would skyrocket (70lph @ 43kn) and slower it was not quite as economical. If you are looking at a Sundancer to sleep 4, then expect to use more fuel than me.

I'm selling my Searay as because I bored with racing around and find sailing more fun.

Sailing is not such hard work especially if you have roller everything and you don't have to confine yourself to port because you have blown your monthly fuel budget.

You could do like my father. He bought a motor sailer. When he wants to go fishing with my mum or his mates he can comfortably motor out driving from inside the cabin (handy in winter) and when they want to cover a bit of distance they can sail for free

Something like this?
1984 Nauticat Ketch Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - uk.yachtworld.com
1985 Nauticat MOTORSAILER Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - uk.yachtworld.com
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 20:50   #30
Eternal Member

I don't think it is a sailboat or a power boat

You want.

If by automated you mean autopilot....you are setting yourself up for disaster. I see way too many powerboats on autopilot on the Chesapeake with no one at the helm. I have seen a couple of sailboats also.....

I see powerboaters and sailboaters trying to break their anchors free with windlasses.....I have replaced a few of them.

Most of the joy of boating is the activity.....If I wanted to push buttons I would have a Winnebago or Bus-like RV with the slide out rooms and unfurling canopies, the car towed behind and a National Membership at KOA

Quote:
ok so who makes an inexpensive sail boat thats as automated as possible. what make and modles should i be looking for? in the range of 24 to 30 feet.