Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2006, 13:11   #1

Boat: Baltic 51 CB
Hydrostatic (kluge) tank level guage

I would like to ask for assistance in finding a manufacturer or supplier of hydrostatic tank level gauges for diesel and water.

My tanks are rectangular and made of 316 stainless steel. The fuel tank holds about 120 liters (32 US gal).

The type of hydrostatic, or kluge gauge, I'm looking for consists of a dial guage and an air pump that forces air down a tube inside the tank to measure the hydrostatic head. Nice and simple and no electrical components.

Thanks for your help.

John
Old 19-12-2006, 15:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Tank Tender would be it.

Home Page

I have one that needs repair that I will repair. They are as you have requested. They make up to 4 tanks to one display. The units read back in inches of fluid after that its up to you to calibrate the inches to the % full or gallons, litres, what ever.

No electrical parts. Suitable for waste, water or fuel.

They would be easy to install so long as you can run the thin plastic hoses. The hose looks to be about 1/8 inch clear flexoble tubing. You just attach it along the route to something solid so it won't chafe.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 09:11   #3

Hart Tank Tender

Hart is exactly the make I had in mind, thanks a alot. I'm ordering a 5 tank system (3 X water, 1 X diesel, 1 X blackwater). Not exactly cheap though!

In the past I have always had to carry an extra 20 liters of diesel in a gerry can in case I miscalculate or lose track of the amount of fuel I have on board.
Old 20-12-2006, 10:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
In the past I have always had to carry an extra 20 liters of diesel in a gerry can in case I miscalculate or lose track of the amount of fuel I have on board.
It's one asspect about the system I do like. My last boat had conventional gauges that were repeatable but the indicators were not correct. 1/2 wasn't really half but E really was Empty. Lots of guess work. Just a reading like 6 inches has a better more reliable feel to it so long as you know that it's a 30 inch tank or a 12 inch tank and how many gallons.

Not requiring anything more than an airtube is nice. What is not clear to me is how the unit on the current boat got the way it is. The needle is bent 90 degrees counter clockwise. I have to wonder just how that could have happened. Hart has offered to fix / replace it for a reasobable price. It is old and I'm not the original owner so it's not like they owe me anything. It is nice to know they do something just because you have one.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 12:54   #5

Tank Tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
What is not clear to me is how the unit on the current boat got the way it is. The needle is bent 90 degrees counter clockwise. I have to wonder just how that could have happened.
Likely, the pin would bend counter-clockwise if the needle came up against a stop when the tube was blocked and the pump operated.
Old 02-06-2007, 22:46   #6

Bent needle

What is not clear to me is how the unit on the current boat got the way it is. The needle is bent 90 degrees counter clockwise. I have to wonder just how that could have happened.

By now you have probably figured out that at some point you pulled a vacuum in the tank by running the engine with an obstructed tank vent. I recently did just that when I installed 2 one-way valves on my fuel vent line and the inlet valve did not open at a low enough pressure to let air into the tank. (Even though it apparently opens easily when I blow on it)
Hope his belated consideration helps.

John