Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 20:47   #1

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
How to Remove the Head on MD2B

I've got all the nuts and bolts loose but there is a oil supply pipe that is keeping me from lifting the head off the cylinder block. It's #17 on the following diagram : Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Lubricating System: A MD2B - MarinePartsEurope.com

The pipe goes down through the head, through the cylinder block and does not have reasonable access to remove.

Has anybody done this ? Do the studs need to be removed so the head can be rotated without lifting. ?
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 21:16   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: How to remove the head on MD2B

How about a Crows Foot?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41   #3

Boat: Bristol 32
Re: How to remove the head on MD2B

I have done this at sea to lap in the valves just because I had lots of time. Did not have unusual tools. This was long ago but it looks like a simple bayonet bolt on top and you should be able to remove it and life the head. You may need to sand the copper washers on a piece of glass with fine paper if scored. These heads came off easily one at a time. Springs are prone to break.
marinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 16:16   #4

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
Re: How to Remove the Head on MD2B

A guy over on oldmarineengine.com said to bend the pipe and that worked. Here is a picture :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130612_143120.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	62392  
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:10   #5

I know this is a very old thread, but I found the photos very useful as I am doing the same job on the same engine. Thank you.

I could not seem to find any good photos of how a 'clean' cylinder jacket looks. On both cylinders, the port on the side of the exhaust manifold seem to be blocked with carbon. The slot in the head gasket and cylinder head both have full slots, but every photo I have found of the cylinder shows only a small hole to allow cooling water to pass through. The exploded parts view does not show this clearly either. So I thought I would reach out here.

Also, how did you manage to bend the copper oil tubes back without kinking them?
hansabaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 08:14   #6

Boat: Seafarer 34

I've taken my engine apart a few times. I've never kinked the oil tube, just be careful and I use your fibers to ease the tube back into a round bend. Did you fix your engine already? If you have any issues, DM me, I probably have lots of pics to help you through this....it is easy, just unnerving for your first time.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 08:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
...Did you fix your engine already? If you have any issues, DM me
Thank you for your reply. Yes! I did get it back together and the Old Swede fired right up! I am having an issue getting the valve covers to seat to the heads. it seems they are not aligned properly and do not drop all the way down to the valve cover gaskets. Two holes mount the valve rockers, one is a bolt, and the other is the threaded tapered rod that is used to mount the valve covers -- I may have those fasteners swapped -- I'll look at it again in the next week and post back with the issue, or a request for photos. Again thanks for the reply!
hansabaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 08:50   #8

Boat: Seafarer 34

Hello,
For sure send me a DM, if you can send me a person email then it is easier for me to send pics and I can also take one of my engine right now. I 'think' the issue is with the rocker arm. also, check the valve clearance AND redo it after you have run the engine a bit, for me, the heat expands/changes things just ever so slightly that I was no longer set properly and didn't know it until fall haul out.

cheers,
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, md2b