Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 13:13   #46

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: Help - first time fixing a stuffing box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Yes, I most cases you can do this easily.
Look at the pictures of that gland, I'd advise you to have some kind of back up plan in case the gland cracks, due to age, or you find your not able to complete the repack for some reason.
Packing glands isn't something you'd know how to do immediately, especially the first time in Vitro.
Consult with some one more knowledgeable, to see if the gland is in good enough condition.
I don't want you to have to scramble to get an emergency haul.
The condition of it is questionable and your honest about your experience.
Packing rings rot away with time, once you move it around it may start leaking more.
Get a back up plan!
SV Cloud Duster

I think this is very sound advice. At least have a friend of friend that knows something about boats if you try it in the water, and back up plans if something goes wrong. If two things go wrong - cracked gland; bilge fails (unlikely, but not impossible) do you know where you can get an emergency haul out, extra bilge pump, etc...
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:38   #47

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

be careful you might find anything in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	215846
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:46   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
OK, I know you are all waiting with baited breath for the conclusion of this epic saga.

Tonight I took one more crack at it. Following some suggestions, I used a wire brush and brushed the threads and the nut until they were gleaming. Then I rinsed all the brushed off crap off with water, re-applied PB Blaster, then used a heat gun to warm it up.

Finally the f**king lock nut moved! Yay!!! And once it moved a slight bit, it turned easily by hand. The weird thing is that now the packing nut will also freely move by hand either way, when before it was totally stuck too.

So I tightened the packing nut just enough for the dripping to stop. Then I tightened the lock nut against it (when I get a bit more confident I'll repack it). Then I ran the engine a little bit to see what happens in forward and reverse. Everything seemed OK, although afterwards now it is dripping again, like once every 12 seconds. A definite improvement though. I'll check it again after it has calmed down awhile.

I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to most of you, but it's a huge deal to me. I have never messed with a prop shaft or anything even similar before in my life.

Now one more question for the group - I only gave it like a half a turn I think. But how do I know if I have tightened the nut too much? What are the warning signs?
Gratz mate. A blast with some heat often does the trick