Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 01:24   #16

Re: Fuel leaking into the sea from my exhaust

If the motor is leaking fuel externally, it seems to me we be simple to run the engine and observe where the fuel is coming from.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 12:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Do you have a workshop manual?. Remove injectors & crank engine whilst checking their spray pattern before you rush off to get them serviced. ( stay clear of spray as it injects at around 2500psi ) As others said do compression test whilst they out. Also you have to find source of diesel leak. I find wrapping all the possible joints in toilet paper a good way to find leak. My guess is loss of compression on one cylinder but maybe varying reasons for that.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 02:35   #18

Do the cheap & easy things first do not be pressured into a partial or full pull down at this point. 1. Remove both injectors loosen turn towards a clear space observe spray mist and listen for injection squeak. Squeak = release pressure in ball park, fine mist = ok, stream or large droplets = service to nozzle needed. Be aware do not inhale mist or let inject directly on flesh. 2. Check valve clearances. 3. Check for stuck valves, bent pushrods and broken valve springs. Best do numbers 2&3 first.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 03:21   #19

Just noted 3cyl engine involved undo each fuel feed line at injector note least reaction cyl this will be the crook one.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 13:05   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

what shakey doug says
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 11:15   #21

Boat: Columbia 50

raw fuel in the exhaust can be, in addition to all the above, caused by a 'stuck' injector (constantly spraying instead of popping), as well as bad timing (injector pump has rotated, changing the engine timing.

The latter could also cause minor leakage around the pump lines, leading to diesel in the bilge.....

check that your injecter pump mount bolts are tight.

Also, to expand on ShakyDoug's post, LOOSEN the injector lines at the injectors - just a touch will do it - quarter turn or so -no need to fully remove the line from the injector.
The HP line will leak , preventing the injector from popping - if the engine rpm drops, that cylinder is NOT your problem, move on to the next

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 05:16   #22

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The extra fuel in the cylinder may reduce the effectiveness of the engine oil in protecting the pistons.

Is your oil level going up slightly?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:07   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you are pull injectors, might as well put them in olive jars (tall, skinny) and then you contain the fuel spray. You can also compare the volume that each injector puts out over 15-30 seconds to see if they are matched. And, you're not spraying fuel mist in the engine compartment, or risking injecting it into your skin. FWIW.

If you're going to wrap in toilet paper...save the paper. Clean the engine with a hot water or steam spray or good liquid detergent and a brush. Let it dry, then dust plain talcum paper all around. If anything is leaking, fuel, oil, water, it will leave tracks in the light dust coating where it is leaking. Nothing to clean up either, as talc is inert and helps preserve rubber parts and belts.

Sounds like the $64 question is "Where can fuel be forced OUT of the engine, as well as out of the cylinders unburned?"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, fuel