Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 20:25   #1

engine repower costs?

Hello,
I am looking to buy a boat. One that I like is in otherwise good shape but has an engine that is 20 years old, dirty, raw water cooled, with around 7 thousand of hours on the meter. I'm considering that if I did buy the boat I might have to repower it at some point, and that I may as well do that first. Especially as it would be my intention to cruise the boat. Can anyone share experience of how much this might cost?
I'd be looking at around 20-25hp, and it appears they are in the 7k range. One person said a rule of thumb would be to double the price of the engine to account for the full cost of ordering an engine and having it installed. Unfortunately I don't have the skill or the time to do much of the labor involved myself.
Has anyone repowered their boat and had experience with the real costs involved? I know there's many factors at play, but is that 'double the price of the engine' rule of thumb far off the mark?

Thx a lot!

SgtPluck
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:31   #2

need some more info first.
What engine is in there now? What hull is it? do you have a brand preference?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The ruff rule of thumb equates to doubling the purchase price of the new engine. It maybe a ruff rule of thumb, but seems to work out pretty close most of the time.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 21:40   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Never Monday knows way more than I do but I would think that if you replace with a similar engine that the price sounds close. As way of disclosure I did buy an engine from NM then had it installed. Was much cheaper than any price I was quoted.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 17:51   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Do your own homework...there are guys like myself who work on boats.....we are also sailors.....
When getting a quote from a yard......get a complete estimate......If it is a direct replacement it should be a simple one.....If you are repowering with another engine, there may be labor/material costs for building up/cutting down the engine bed....putting a new instrument panel in....if you are going from gas to diesel the fuel system will have to be re-worked/replaced......

When I do these jobs, my estimate is a "not to exceed" price......I do my research on the boat and so far, I have never had to go back to a customer, "hat in hand", and say I need more $$$$ to complete the job......

Shop around

And another thing....don't always go by the hour meter....I have seen them wired in the wrong way and they run when the engine isn't running.......

7000 hours in 20 years? Do the math.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:30   #6

Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems that for this hull and this engine there's no simple drop-in replacement. I found two owners who've attempted repowering.
I think the only way I'll get a fairly accurate cost is to pick a replacement, get the schematics for it, and have a local mechanic go down and assess what work would need to be done.

Quote:
7000 hours in 20 years? Do the math.
Good point. That is a lot of hours. The boat was cruised extensively though...
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 21:21   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
7000 by 20 years is 350 a year. I had a boat in charter that was doing 400 a year. Dowsn;t seem outrageous if the boat is used a lot. What kind of boat is it anyway?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 23:30   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
240+ hours...

I put in around 250 hours in repowering with a John Deere and there are still a few jobs to go. Repitch prop, upgrade fuel system, improve exhaust. etc.

But I'm probably a little slow.

I would have spent $3k on parts with another $1.5k in the wings.

Your current engine sounds like it still works so I'd suggest keeping it while you research a repower.

You could even clean it up, give it a good service and upgrade the fuel system.

Never know. There might be nothing wrong with it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 02:52   #9

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I put in a new westerbeke 64A, the engine was $12K and the installation was $6K. I did as much work as possible to keep the price down. The engine area had been totally stripped prior to purchasing the boat. There was no exhast, wiring, fuel tank nothing. All the grunt work I did, the mechanic did the rest. It came out well, while I only have 55hrs on the engine, all seems well. The only real issue was that it took all summer, I count not keep the mechanic on the job. But in the long run he did a nice job.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 03:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtPluck View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems that for this hull and this engine there's no simple drop-in replacement. I found two owners who've attempted repowering.
I think the only way I'll get a fairly accurate cost is to pick a replacement, get the schematics for it, and have a local mechanic go down and assess what work would need to be done.
I've yet to meet a boat that couldn't be repowered. You just have to look at it carefully and measure 19x. Where is the boat your looking at?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 07:38   #11

We repowered pulling a W108 and re-intalling a W108c6. the engine was ~$10k and probably had another $5k in it with parts and labor. We were able to re-use the panel, prop and shaft. I did much work myself, new beds, remove all cabinets, remove all electric panels, cut a big hole in the deck, install engine, re-glass the deck, re-install cabinets and electric. No fun since we did it outside during a Michigan winter.

I would think as the boat gets smaller the labor content per install would be higher. The labor is going to remain almost the same but the engine cost will be a lower percentage fo the overall job.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:11   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best time to repower is winter, summer is normally to busy.
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 14:22   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I repowered our boat 5.5 years ago. Changed from a Perkins 4-236 to a Westerbeke 90Afour. The estimate was $25000. for this job. I was abole to get the engine wholesale for $11000. I would say that the total change over was about $15000. for engine and for machine parts etc and it took me about a week to do. It was a big job but well worth it.
Old 21-02-2008, 14:52   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
It was a bog job but well worth it.
Freudian Slip?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter