Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20   #1

Question Engine Blew Up! Possible Removal?

Hi all -I have a 3gm yanmar that may need to be pulled.The engine made some knocking noises and belched a lot of black smoke.#3 cyl. is weak and the compression release feels like it is hitting valve much harder than the other 2.Pulled valve cover and did not see anything wrong - no metal in oil.I am planning to check more throughly this weekend [swap injector]to make sure it's not stuck open,but I think it's more serious.Anything else to check? Thought I'd pull head in boat prior to pulling engine out.Can I use boom and main halyard to pull rest of engine out or do I need to build frame for back of boom?What is the best way to secure prop shaft for no leaks? Thanks Mark
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:48   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Check that the felt from the air intake filter did not find its way into the engine & is holding the inlet valve open!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:50   #3

Hi Mark:

Sorry. I know the feeling well since I had to pull and replace my engine this summer. My wife and I pulled the engine using a come-a-long and the mainsheet. I posted pictures and a diagram on Flickr. (see the link below).

It was a lot easier than I ever imagined.

Flickr: boat-a-holic's Photostream .

Good luck.

Dan
danhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53   #4

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhaun View Post
Hi Mark:

Sorry. I know the feeling well since I had to pull and replace my engine this summer. My wife and I pulled the engine using a come-a-long and the mainsheet. I posted pictures and a diagram on Flickr. (see the link below).

It was a lot easier than I ever imagined.

Flickr: boat-a-holic's Photostream .

Good luck.

Dan
Danhaun,

Thx Man!! That's exactly what I'm looking for! I was wondering how I was gonna get the engine out from under the cockpit. I knew it had been done this way but couldn't find anyone who had done it. I gotta yank an old Westerbeke 40 for a rear motor mount, rewire, cleanup/paint, bilgecoat under, and check the logs. That's outstanding that you posted the rigging!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53   #5

Removing the engine

Riptide:

I also recently removed an engine out of my boat. I documented the procedure here: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Removing a Westerbeke diesel engine. You might want to take a look. I was kind of forced to do it by myself but, was easier than I thought.

Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10   #6

Thanks for the replies.Engine removal in my case should fairly easy as It's a straight lift out of the cockpit and plenty of room.I still wonder what to use to keep prop shaft in place so as not to leak.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35   #7

What about?

Riptide:

If you are concerned about the shaft sliding out and I would be if I were you. You might try a vise grip or two to prevent the shaft from sliding back. There are also shaft collars that can wrap around the shaft to prevent the shaft from dropping out. Or perhaps some thick rubber wrapped around the shaft secured with hose clamps. Just a few ideas that come to mind.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Riptide:
If you are concerned about the shaft sliding out and I would be if I were you. You might try a vise grip or two to prevent the shaft from sliding back. There are also shaft collars that can wrap around the shaft to prevent the shaft from dropping out. Or perhaps some thick rubber wrapped around the shaft secured with hose clamps. Just a few ideas that come to mind.
Just install a shaft zinc on the dry side of the stuffing box.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51   #9

I was thinking about hose clamps ect.-will I have a problem with shaft moving side to side or up and down and leaking? Thanks Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I used the boom and a small chainfall to lift my YSM8R. I attached the main halyard AND the topping lift to the boom. The main at the mid point and the topping lift at the end. The chainfall was attached to the boom by several wraps of 1/4" line same as I used for my roller furler line. The lift point was almost under where I attached the main halyard. Worked like a dream and like as has been said a lot easier than I expected.........m
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41   #11

Thanks for the idea of putting main at midpoint of boom -was just going to hook it at end w/topping lift is! Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 15:08   #12

Better idea.

Riptide:

Forget what I said about securing the shaft. Use Bash's idea about using a shaft zinc instead which is a much better solution plus you will have a replacement zinc. As far as leaks are concerned I think that would depend on the condition of the packing in the stuffing box which you should probably tighten as much as you can before you pull the engine. Have you replaced the packing on a regular basis? Also make damn sure you have a real good battery and maybe a backup for the bilge pump. Idealy I think you probably should pull the boat and do all this on land. Then you will be able to do other maintenance like replacing the stuffing box packing at your leisure and not have worry about leaks as you work on the engine. Anyway that' my two cents.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG

Tags
engine, engine removal, removal