Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 09:56   #1

Boat: in between
Dinghy Motor?

Hi,

My wife and I picked up a 17' sailing dinghy and are discussing possibly getting an auxiliary power system. Well, we'll have paddles, so this may be a second/third option. My question is does anyone have an opinion (ha!) on the merits of different options. If I had lottery money to throw around, I'd go for the Torqeedo, since it's the best option for what I need. Essentially, I'm looking for something less than 2.5 hp. I could get a new 2-stroke 1.5 hp for around $450, but I'd love to avoid carrying fuel. The only other option I can think of is a transom-mounting trolling motor, which will then require a battery setup.

Any more thoughts on this?

thanks,

loveandcoconuts.blogspot.com
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29   #2

Goshea, I have pondered some of these same questions, in desiring to have a small sail/oar/motor-powered boat. Whether electric or gas, will you have theft concerns about leaving the motor in the boat for very long or will you need something light enough to carry in and out pretty frequently? What is your concern with the 2-stroke and fuel, is it fire and explosion hazard? I am told this is not such a big issue in an open boat. How robust is your transom; will motor weight be a big issue right there? Smallest Honda 4-stroke is 2 or 2 1/2 and I think it weighs 27 lbs but would cost more than your 1.5 2-stroke option. Too bad the smallest diesels don't come in outboard at this time.
Howyawldoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37   #3

Boat: in between
I don't have theft concerns, since this thing will be locked up at the sailing club, or out on the water with me in it. As for the 2-stroke, I'm looking for the lowest cost, easiest to store in the cockpit option. I do have the transom mount, but it's rated at 2.5 HP, which is more than I think I really want to have. This is just the cheapest, lowest maintenance, easiest to stow and carry option. If I didn't have the cheap requirement, I'd buy that Torqeedo since it looks so easy and compact. That said, I'm not willing to put out the $1400+ right now.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:13   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I recommend the 12v 27lb or 30lb thrust Minn Kota to see whether or not you like the idea of electric. I got mine for $100. They are very inexpensive and will push your boat in and out of the slip just fine. They may not work well against the Columbia current for a long period of time though. If you have a battery aboard already for running lights and such just upgrade with a larger deepcycle version and get a small solar panel to deploy when you are in your slip to keep it charged up.
We use a 27lb thrust on a West Wight Potter 19 and it will go up current on our little river just fine and will keep pushing us along for quite a bit over an hour with a fully charged battery.
Just a thought.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote