Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 10:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Dead Instrument Panel Yanmar 4JH4E

Hi,

The panel is working fine today. Yesterday I lost power to all parts of the panel including the fuel gauge. Yet the engine started normally. Also, I lost power to the windlass (it needs the port engine running for the windlass to be energised)

I suspected the wiring harness next to the engine. This consists of five multi wire connectors that appear difficult to take apart without a special tool? Has anyone opened these up?

Because the windlass wouldn't work I suspected the harness at the engine rather than a fault at the panel. Apart from WD40 what else can I do if I can't get those connectors open?

Thanks in advance.
Rezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:19   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Dead Instrument Panel Yanmar 4JH4E

I suspect the windlass is a separate issue. It should not have anything to do with the engine wiring. I'd pull the panel and look for a bad ground or broken wire. You can find the wiring diagram for your engine and panel. Everything is color coded.
I'd run a temporary wire from a good ground to the panel to rule it in/out.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 23:25   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Dead Instrument Panel Yanmar 4JH4E

The two may or may not be related, but it sounds to me like you have a loose or corroded main battery cable connection somewhere.

There are many, many dfferent styles of multipin connectors, but they all generally have a push or pull tab, or some such combination of devices to release them. A careful examination of the connector should reveal it's 'secret', and a shot of whatever miracle spray you have handy should persuade it to seperate.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, yanmar