Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 18:05   #1
O32

Boat: Ontario 32
Changing inlet zinc Yanmar 2QM15

Just went through this.

Manual says to just unscrew the plug on the CW inlet 3-way pipe.

Problem is that the plug is in there tighter than the 3-way. So if you turn the square head plug, the whole pipe turns.

That might not seem so bad, but there are hoses attached that need to first come off. But then the nipples that the hoses attach to cannot turn because they hit into other stuff.

I ended up removing the alternator to gain access, then used water pump pliers to unscrew the nipples. Then unscrewed the 3-way pipe. Then put pipe in vice and used a long cheater bar to unscrew the square headed plug!

Seemed like a lot of work to check a zinc (which turned out to be fine!)

The 3-way pipe appears to have a pipe thread that threads into the block. In reinstalling, it has to end up being tight at an exact position - so nozzles for hoses are vertical. It took me several tries, but I got it there by adding 3 or 4 wraps of Teflon tape. With just pipe dope, I wasn't able to get it tight in correct position.

For those in salt water where you need to check anodes regularly, do you go through this rigmarole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water inlet zinc yanmar.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	174983  
O32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 14:32   #2

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Changing inlet zinc Yanmar 2QM15

I was lucky - first time I unscrewed it the 3wy held position - but i made sure i greased the thread when i put it back so its easy to check later - did it last weekend actually, took 5 minutes - by coincidence the square plug on that lower anode fits the same socket as the hex nut on the upper anode, so both of them can be checked in about 5 minutes. The annoying one is the one on the rear galley which can only be checked by removing the rear galley plate and unscrewing from the inside of the plate.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 14:40   #3

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Changing inlet zinc Yanmar 2QM15

BTW - while you have that anode plug out check for accretions of white muck in the far end of the 3way (poke it with a long screwdriver) - I had a blockage at one point because the stuff likes to collect in there and concretise.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm15, yanmar