Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 21:23   #1

Boat: Coast 34
Beta Marine Blues

We have a 5 year old beta 38 horsepower diesel and the oil filter is mounted horizontally on the engine as many engines do. We ordered a remote oil filter kit from beta for over$400. Pretty slick looking unit with high pressure hose already attached from the adapter on the engine to the housing for the remote filter. Installed and fired up engine...low oil pressure alarm stays on. Check oil level again and restart....still low oil pressure alarm. Nose around and oil in filter. Remote oil filter housing has arrow for inlet side NO OIL THERE. Unit was delivered from factory as far as I can see with inlet and outlet reversed. I infatuated the fittings and revered the lines. 10 seconds after starting the oil pressure alarm was off. There must be a back flow valve in the system preventing the oil from flowing when the hoses are reversed. This unit was delivered assembled and as far as I am concerned assembled wrong. I take great care of my engine and to have it run with low oil pressure makes me ill.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:41   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Beta Marine Blues

Are you sure the arrow indicates the inlet and not the direction of flow?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 22:05   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Won't offer any 'shoulda' advice, but you've almost certainly only damaged your feelings.

Consider that the 'damage' you've incurred is on par with changing the oil three times.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 22:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

There is normally an anti-drainback valve in the spin on filter but agree with post #3.
Wow Beta know how to charge for a remote oil filter mount!
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:02   #5

Boat: Coast 34

The arrow does show both the inlet and direction of flow it points toward the center of the filter housing and it was plumbed to the return to the engine rather than the feed in to the filter housing. As Compass 790 posted the anti flow back in the filter kept the oil from returning to the engine
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
There is normally an anti-drainback valve in the spin on filter but agree with post #3.
Wow Beta know how to charge for a remote oil filter mount!
I bought a beta 75 from them which required a new prop. When we fitted the new prop it would not turn it. We changed it out to the next size down would but still could not turn the prop but by then we are out of size warranty on the prop.

Last winter I noticed a sticker on the engine from Kubota. 49.8 KW. Well 49.8 kw is only 66 hp. I contacted Beta. Their response was... We guarantee the engine delivers 75 hp. Take it out and put it on a dyno at your expense.

Well I know it does not deliver 75 and there is no chance of it coming out to go on a dyno.

For anyone else, if you need a remote filter, go to Kubota. There are only a few oil filters and so there can only be so many remote filter items.

I will buy nothing from Beta.

Even the power curves in the brochure are fake.

If Beta wants to sue me they can come on right over. Pretty sure that I would get a knew motor out of it or my money back. I am not hard to find.

I really don't know why they would have done this. Really don't.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:29   #7

"I infatuated the fittings and revered the lines."
Was it good for you? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:52   #8

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
I bought a beta 75 from them which required a new prop. When we fitted the new prop it would not turn it. We changed it out to the next size down would but still could not turn the prop but by then we are out of size warranty on the prop.

Last winter I noticed a sticker on the engine from Kubota. 49.8 KW. Well 49.8 kw is only 66 hp. I contacted Beta. Their response was... We guarantee the engine delivers 75 hp. Take it out and put it on a dyno at your expense.

Well I know it does not deliver 75 and there is no chance of it coming out to go on a dyno.

For anyone else, if you need a remote filter, go to Kubota. There are only a few oil filters and so there can only be so many remote filter items.

I will buy nothing from Beta.

Even the power curves in the brochure are fake.

If Beta wants to sue me they can come on right over. Pretty sure that I would get a knew motor out of it or my money back. I am not hard to find.

I really don't know why they would have done this. Really don't.
I too have long noticed the difference between Kubota's power ratings vs. Beta's. And the difference in ratings is always higher on Beta's brochures. Perhaps the combination of the airbox and Thermex's manicooler turn the trick.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I would say for anyone else needing a remote filter mount just check thread sizes & sealing face size & go to something like this rather than engine manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/Derale-15716-...DXRH1TJER60NCH
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 00:15   #10

For a remote oil filter I used a Derale 15780, but ended up using a Derale 15746 for the engine mount. Reason was that I ended adding a second alternator on that side and needed to be able to direct the hoses immediately at a 90 degree angle for clearance. I paid a total of $140AUD for both parts. The only downside in contrast to Beta's unit is that I've used barbed fittings and hoses, but the oil pressure in the Beta is well within spec for those.

Regarding the mistake in the shipped unit, on Beta's website they say: "Note: If the feed and return pipe are removed for installation purposes it is essential that they are reconnected correctly to ensure the oil flow circuit is maintained.". They should have read their recommendation :-).
xarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I too have long noticed the difference between Kubota's power ratings vs. Beta's. And the difference in ratings is always higher on Beta's brochures. Perhaps the combination of the airbox and Thermex's manicooler turn the trick.
You don't increase horse power 12 % with an airbox and a manifold cooler. Fact is that it is not much removed from fraud. Claiming one thing during the sale while delivering another.

If I had known that this is how they worked I would not have done business with them at all.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:37   #12

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Aye laddie, you're missing the subtleties. That was sarcasm and I agree that Beta is VERY generous with their HP ratings.

But, there are many methods and standards used to rate engines so I would suspect that Beta has some answer that justifies their marketing.

I've also noticed that Beta at times rates their engines at higher rpm than Kubota and more rpm = more HP.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 10:28   #13

Boat: Tartan 37
Beta Marine Blues

I doubt it would have done any damage, but have you tried contacting beta over the issue?

I have found them extremely helpful, resolving my warranty issue quickly. Even sent sent an extra box of spares for my trouble.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, marine