Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2023, 12:02   #1

Boat: Pilot Cutter
Best way to remove engine

I need to remove my boats engine to get to the transmission to make a repair.

Long story short, the bolts that attach the transmission to the engine have rusted through. The transmission needs to be welded by an experienced cast iron welder or it needs helicoils.

I also may be taking the engine itself to the machine shop too; i'll know more when I get it off of its mounts and into the cabin.

I have tried to bending over the engine to do work back there, but it is difficult. There is no hatch in the sole of the cockpit which would allow easier access to the transmission.

The engine + transmission weights 385 pounds; it is a Volvo MD7A.

The boat is an Aquarius Pilot Cutter. It is on the hard on its trailer on my own property.

Can I use 2-3 horizontal wooden beams on the cabin top with a chain hoist through the hatch lift the engine? Or, is this to much weight for the cabin top?

Or do I need to build something independent of the boat to lift the engine?

The mast is not currently raised.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be useful.

Thank you for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05542.resized.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	277912

Name:	DSC05431.resized.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	277913

Name:	hatch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	277915

Name:	cabinsole2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	277916
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:53   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Best way to remove engine

is this engine saildrive?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 13:11   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

385# isn't very heavy for an engine, it's like 1 1/2 medium sized adult men. I was able to lift my Universal M25 (about the same weight) out of the engine bay and up 3 inches to the cabin sole by tying a line to the lift eye and pulling by hand. No problem. If that's all the farther you're going you should have no problem. Getting the engine out of the boat and on the ground is a bit harder. You'll need some sort of crane or forklift to pick it up. Being on the trailer might give more options. If you can back under something to lift from, even a stout tree limb, you could lift it clear of the cockpit with a block and tackle and then pull the boat and trailer out from under. The mainsheet tackle should work for this, I once lifted a 650# engine with mine. Wasn't easy, but it worked. The mast was still up so I used the boom as a crane to lower it down into my truck.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 13:33   #4

Boat: Endeavour 32

4x4 over the companionway and a come-along or chain hoist is perfect.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 15:32   #5

Yes, lots of various sized pieces of wood, pry bars, pulleys, come-along, etc. It won't be pretty but you'll be able to get it out (and then back in again) using these tools.

On the other subject, helicoils sound much better than welding cast iron, but would be interesting to see the photos of that issue.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 15:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
4x4 over the companionway and a come-along or chain hoist is perfect.

This. When I helped a boat mechanic one summer, we would lay two 4x4s or stacked 2x4s on each side of the companionway top opening, so that the crosswise 4x4 wasn't bearing on trimwork or slides. We used a chain-hoist to get the engine and tranny off the bed and onto the cabin floor (which had some plywood laid over to protect it). Once the engine was on the cabin floor, we used a yard crane or other hoist to get it up and off the boat.
Old 09-07-2023, 17:00   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This. When I helped a boat mechanic one summer, we would lay two 4x4s or stacked 2x4s on each side of the companionway top opening, so that the crosswise 4x4 wasn't bearing on trimwork or slides. We used a chain-hoist to get the engine and tranny off the bed and onto the cabin floor (which had some plywood laid over to protect it). Once the engine was on the cabin floor, we used a yard crane or other hoist to get it up and off the boat.
This is way mine was done as the boat was on the hard, mast down. Paid a forklift to hoist it out of the companionway and onto the ground. The new replacement was just a matter of reversing the process.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 20:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
is this engine saildrive?

No, it is not sail drive.
Old 09-07-2023, 20:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This. When I helped a boat mechanic one summer, we would lay two 4x4s or stacked 2x4s on each side of the companionway top opening, so that the crosswise 4x4 wasn't bearing on trimwork or slides.

Bingo! Thanks. I was worried about the trim.
Old 09-07-2023, 20:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Yes, lots of various sized pieces of wood, pry bars, pulleys, come-along, etc. It won't be pretty but you'll be able to get it out (and then back in again) using these tools.

On the other subject, helicoils sound much better than welding cast iron, but would be interesting to see the photos of that issue.

Once I get it pulled I will definitely post photos of the problem. The bolts were so rusted they just crumbled when I attempted to remove them.
Old 10-07-2023, 13:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
I need to remove my boats engine to get to the transmission to make a repair.

Long story short, the bolts that attach the transmission to the engine have rusted through. The transmission needs to be welded by an experienced cast iron welder or it needs helicoils.

I also may be taking the engine itself to the machine shop too; i'll know more when I get it off of its mounts and into the cabin.

I have tried to bending over the engine to do work back there, but it is difficult. There is no hatch in the sole of the cockpit which would allow easier access to the transmission.

The engine + transmission weights 385 pounds; it is a Volvo MD7A.

The boat is an Aquarius Pilot Cutter. It is on the hard on its trailer on my own property.

Can I use 2-3 horizontal wooden beams on the cabin top with a chain hoist through the hatch lift the engine? Or, is this to much weight for the cabin top?

Or do I need to build something independent of the boat to lift the engine?

The mast is not currently raised.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be useful.

Thank you for your help.

Attachment 277912

Attachment 277913

Attachment 277915

Attachment 277916
You should be able to use the companion way to hoist out the engine
You may have to take of alternator before you find out it is in the way
I hoisted my perkins 4108 that way
Now beyond that I attached 2 good halyards wrapped around the boom where you are planning the hoist and lifted the engine into the cockpit and onto the dock (By myself)
Make sure you detach the topping lift since you halyards will stretch and the topping lift is (usually steel wire) will certainly break
good luck
Good luck
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine