Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
Advice needed on doing shaft alignments

I've just replaced about everything in my driveline. From subsequent noises I think I need to do an alignment.

Are there any online instructions on how to do this, or books, articles ?

Lots of discussion about it, but can't find any hard/detailed facts on HOW to do it ! (Apart from Nigel Calder's book).
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 14:23   #2

Re: Advice needed on doing shaft alignments

53 views and no responses ? Sad !

However, in the meantime, I have found some information.

Now a detailed question: Let's say the top of the couple and the top of the transmission drive "wheel"are touching, but at the bottom, they are .012" away from one another. (4'' diameter couple). Would you raise or lower just the two aft end feet of the engine (it's a V drive), just the two forwards feet, or would you raise or lower all four feet ?

Take this as a puzzle to keep your mind alive !
Old 07-05-2013, 14:32   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Assuming the drive shaft is vertically and horizontally in the correct position, the engine mounts (possibly all of them) need to be adjusted (possibly both vertically and horizontally so the engine flange meets the other flange parallel.
For starters, Turn both shafts to make sure both flanges are at 90 degrees to their respective shafts as well.
Measure the runout at the top bottom and both sides as you turn one shaft.
This will give you an idea of how true the flange is.
Repeat with the other flange.
You need to eliminate the possibility of a slightly bent drive flange or you will be tearing out your hair trying to get it right.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 14:33   #4

Boat: grampian 26

You have to align it both axially and radially. Do the axial alignment then the radial. I would start by raising the front of the engine to get it close then check your radial alignment then tweak it from there.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 16:17   #5

It was out of alignment both both left and right and up and down. Less difficult than I thought. Just a lot of getting in and out of lockers ! AND PATIENCE !! Had to purchase two wrenches the same and cut one in half due to cramped conditions. Then I only wanted the open end part. I love those new wrenches with the ratchet in the box end !! I did the left to right adjustment first, just easier for me to get the two couples one behind the other. Also got the engine moving left or right over and done with, which was harder than the up and down adjustment. Of course, the threads on the actual feet were rusted, but BP did a good job. Took me 1.5 days in duration (doing some things as well !)

Thanks for the input. Still not sure what radial and axial means, definitions seem so complex, and haven't been able to find pictures, which of course are worth a thousand words !

Job done !
Old 22-06-2013, 02:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
It was out of alignment both both left and right and up and down. Less difficult than I thought. Just a lot of getting in and out of lockers ! AND PATIENCE !! Had to purchase two wrenches the same and cut one in half due to cramped conditions. Then I only wanted the open end part. I love those new wrenches with the ratchet in the box end !! I did the left to right adjustment first, just easier for me to get the two couples one behind the other. Also got the engine moving left or right over and done with, which was harder than the up and down adjustment. Of course, the threads on the actual feet were rusted, but BP did a good job. Took me 1.5 days in duration (doing some things as well !)

Thanks for the input. Still not sure what radial and axial means, definitions seem so complex, and haven't been able to find pictures, which of course are worth a thousand words !

Job done !

rememeber that maximum angle of the engine-reversing gear must not exceed 7 degrees because you will problem with the lubrication
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote