Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 11:30   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Windage Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
even a beach cat needs to back the jib when tacking, it's SOP.
What!!

Not if you want to tack quickly, without stopping. In some cats, backing the jib is the sure kiss of death, as the boat will stop and all control is lost. This is NOT SOP, and I've sailed cats for 30 years. Sometimes, but not SOP.

. cut the jib on the break
. slack the main (traveler) a bit at head-to-wind
. haul the jib in sharply, JUST in time for it to fill (not early or late)
. harden up the main once she's moving well
. come up to true course
. on beach cats a variation on a roll tack is helpful--get the weight back, stay out if you can, and get across the center a little slow, but not so late as to risk capsize... much. She pivots better that way.

Backing the jib is only for "oops" when you've already fouled up. Mostly, they just require sharp technique.
Old 16-01-2012, 11:33   #17

Windage was not a huge issue with my Lagoon 42, but it was the older design with the heavily aft slanted front windows. A lot of the newer cats seem to have more "wind scoops". I will say though, that my 42 with 3gm30 Yanmars, could be a problem in strong winds. (These Yanmars , however, are not 30 hp, closer to 18-22 at reasonable RPM if I remember right...)
Here's an example: The wind shifted and was blowing 30-35 in a fairly crowded anchorage. We got the anchor up, but needed to turn through the wind to avoid other anchored boats. With no headway, the boat simply would not turn through the wind, even at 3500 rpm. we had to turn downwind very narrowly missing another boat and his anchor gear....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 11:50   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
even a beach cat needs to back the jib when tacking, it's SOP.

That said, I have a unirig cat. Trick there is to not throw the helm hard over - one makes a big U-turn. Then head down a bit, gain some speed, and then come up to course.
While I would agree that in certain conditions and with certain boats you back the jib, I wouldn't call it SOP. The hardest cat to tack with a jib that I know of is the Hobie 16. You're going to be in the bottom of the fleet if you still are backing the jib to get a tack off.

The only time I've had to back the jib on my Hobie 20 is in 20-25 knots of wind with a short steep chop.

I did not back the jib to tack on the Privilege 39 or Kennex 445 that I chartered.

The rest of your statement I agree with completely.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 11:51   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Cat engines should be upped one size just as you would do with cat anchors.
Never go with the under powered factory standard engines.

My factory engine was 20hp and I purchased the 30hp.
I easily cruise with only one engine except for docking and anchoring.

My Factory anchor was 36 lbs and I changed it to 46 lbs
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Cat engines should be upped one size just as you would do with cat anchors.
Never go with the under powered factory standard engines.

My factory engine was 20hp and I purchased the 30hp.
I easily cruise with only one engine except for docking and anchoring.

My Factory anchor was 36 lbs and I changed it to 46 lbs
Yeah, definitely agree with this, the little 3gm30's were great 95% of the time, even when running engine drive water maker, engine drive refrig and two 75 amp alternators. But in a pinch like I describe above, not enough! You'd think an engine with a 10 ft lever arm would turn the boat easily.

Regarding tacking when sailing, it never was an issue at all in any conditions I sailed in with the Lagoon 42. But that boat has deeper keels than many, and I dont sail in real light air....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:56   #21

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Windage was not a huge issue with my Lagoon 42, but it was the older design with the heavily aft slanted front windows. A lot of the newer cats seem to have more "wind scoops". I will say though, that my 42 with 3gm30 Yanmars, could be a problem in strong winds. (These Yanmars , however, are not 30 hp, closer to 18-22 at reasonable RPM if I remember right...)
Here's an example: The wind shifted and was blowing 30-35 in a fairly crowded anchorage. We got the anchor up, but needed to turn through the wind to avoid other anchored boats. With no headway, the boat simply would not turn through the wind, even at 3500 rpm. we had to turn downwind very narrowly missing another boat and his anchor gear....
Just curious, did you try running the other engine in reverse?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:29   #22

Boat: Privilege 37

Only had an issue once with windage. I got caught in a micro blow down in Oriental. But, then again, all the mono's had issues too! Gust of 65 mph have a tendancy to do that.

The other issue is swinging. When we are at anchor we swing with the wind, not with the current as much. As such, we are constantly swinging in a different direction in relation to other boats. This means we have to be VERY careful about how close we're anchored to other non-cats
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote