Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2024, 05:37   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Wind Against Tide

There are lots of different things that can be tried depending on the situation, but the bottom line for me is those types of anchorages will always be uncomfortable! In other words, it is often worth it to seek a better place to anchor, even if it means going well out of your way.
Old 14-04-2024, 06:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There are lots of different things that can be tried depending on the situation, but the bottom line for me is those types of anchorages will always be uncomfortable! In other words, it is often worth it to seek a better place to anchor, even if it means going well out of your way.
Indeed.
But, as Shannon Sinnard notes, in the linked article:
"Even a seemingly serene anchorage can transform in a matter of hours – and countless seafarers have had to weather a restless night at anchor in rolly conditions."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 06:21   #18

Quote:
"Even a seemingly serene anchorage can transform in a matter of hours – and countless seafarers have had to weather a restless night at anchor in rolly conditions."
I am reminded of a horrible night spent rolling with the swell on the beam in the anchorage at Chub Cay in the Berry Islands. Finally, we had enough and took off in the middle of the night to continue sailing to Nassau, and despite the wind being on the nose we immediately enjoyed a steady boat. It was vastly more comfortable sailing than rolling with the swells in the harbor, and we were in Nassau first thing in the morning thinking of the poor miserable souls we left behind at anchor.
Old 14-04-2024, 06:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
For multis, a small drogue off the stern will hold them bows into the current. And they will swing with the keel boats.

It will depend on the anchorage whether the boat is more comfy with the bows into the WIND instead. If so, then a spring to the anchor line bridle can help, as long as the wind is expected to stay the same for the night. Otherwise, you may be better off to twitch a bit, and let your body know it's okay. Most people get accustomed to their boats' motion.

Ann
THIS.

Not a multi but I had a tide opposing SWELL which set up waves at the exact harmonic of the boat. The pitching was AWSOME.

I set drogue. Greatly improved .

Yes, a different situation. But a drogue is a useful tool in many situations. Good to have aboard.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 06:37   #20

Quote:
I set drogue. Greatly improved .

Yes, a different situation. But a drogue is a useful tool in many situations. Good to have aboard.
I've used sturdy canvas tote bags as drogues before, and they worked quite well. I use a small one behind the dinghy to keep it from banging into the mothership when the wind is against the current, and if I use a bigger one both the dinghy and the mothership point more into the current. Sometimes you can achieve enough drag just by putting the dinghy motor down.
Old 16-04-2024, 05:24   #21

I always retract my sprit
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 08:39   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfree View Post
I always retract my sprit
Yeah, I always do that when the Wife and I are wind against tide.

LOL
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 11:28   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

On a multi you can shorten the bridle towards one side to achieve a similar result.

For more effect tie a "road cone" onto a line in such a way that the opening faces forward. Tie it to a stern cleat and trow the cone over board. They are great cheap drogues.

A riding sail aft can help too.

QUOTE=GordMay;3890312]“Mastering The Swell Bridle*: One Of The Best Kept Secrets For A Rolly Anchorage” ~ by Shannon Sinnard, of ASA
https://asa.com/news/2024/02/27/mast...-swell-bridle/

* Anchor Rode Spring Line ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lines-653.html

[/QUOTE]
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 12:13   #24

If turning 360's due to wind and current, whatever you do, do not put out a second anchor to solve it! Did that with my cat once. The next morning I had two rodes tightly twisted together into knuckles which took a couple hours to sort out in order to leave. How do you pull an anchor when the rodes have become one big rode and the anchors are widely spread apart?
You dingy out and find a way to remove one anchor from the bottom, carry it to the bow in the dingy and manhandle it around the rode many times or remove the shackle and do so!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 12:57   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Wind against tide is probably the WORST anchoring situation one can find oneself in.

As Gord points out above, a bridal will give you some relief, but will still require a watchful eye, and off course, will need to be changed every 6 hours or so.

Making all these bridals and changes, especially at night...in the rain.. is likely to let slip a few curses from yer happy face.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 13:27   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If turning 360's due to wind and current, whatever you do, do not put out a second anchor to solve it! Did that with my cat once. The next morning I had two rodes tightly twisted together into knuckles which took a couple hours to sort out in order to leave. How do you pull an anchor when the rodes have become one big rode and the anchors are widely spread apart?
You dingy out and find a way to remove one anchor from the bottom, carry it to the bow in the dingy and manhandle it around the rode many times or remove the shackle and do so!
I have a mono and regularly use two anchors set from the bow in wind against tide conditions. Wind-up is a problem but if one checks it daily and unwinds before it gets too serious it's managable. It's just something needed to do sometimes to remain securely anchored.
Old 16-04-2024, 14:24   #27

Boat: Privilege 435

We set up a secondary bridle setup that is shorter to keep the whole bridle from wrapping around a keel if we sail forward. It helps until the wind is too strong and we start sailing all over. We usually just move anchorages in this case, but have had some success fashioning something for more drag in the water. Should probably just have a drogue for this.
Old 16-04-2024, 14:49   #28
Marine Service Provider

I've tried a variety of things to solve this dilemma, but none have proved to be worth a damn.
Forget to add, besides all the problems listed above. the boat will rock from side to side like pendulum. Sleep will be near impossible, as you'll be hanging on with both hands at times. After 6 hours of this, nerves and temparent
Old 16-04-2024, 14:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

"nerves and temper will be near or at boiling point"
Old 16-04-2024, 15:46   #30

With a cat obviously the swell bridle is irrelevant to the issue of tide overcoming breeze at anchor or on a mooring.

We sometimes have the same issue with our mooring, I dont know of any solution, the drogue works for anchoring but not viable for long term, unattended mooring.

There is no single solution because even the drogue wont work when the wind and current is such that in a gust the Cat will sail up on the anchor/mooring if the current has forced it well off an upwind heading.

I imagine its worse in high windage cats with flybridges etc, our FP Bahia is not too bad for it, mainly only happens when breeze is almost no existent and its the current that pushes us up on the anchor/mooring.
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind