Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 22:26   #121

Re: Upwind performance of condomarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Ok, lets do 8 T then. Here is what I will add so wont have reason to go to shops that often. And see who is the fastest !!!
No I am starting to like the way you think.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 01:04   #122

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote "load with 3T of stuff."

Only going light ship then not very fair.
Does this mean that Australian beer is heavier than regular beer ?

I've been told that it puts lead in your pencil so perhaps that's it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 01:43   #123
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sailing Catamarans - Keels or Daggerboards, the pros and cons

"Unfortunately, using LAR keels results in a slower boat and more pitching. That is because to optimize speed you need a hull with buoyancy in the ends, not in the middle (technically you need a high Prismatic Coefficient - Cp). Clearly adding a LAR keel adds buoyancy in exactly the wrong place. Furthermore the midships buoyancy makes the boat pitch more as the hull is more "diamond-like". "
I am not following here ... Do you think VPLP (lagoon) designed a "perfectly balanced" boat, say like yours, and then decided to add the keels ? If that is the case then I would probably to agree with you about unexpected parasitic behavior.

However I tend to believe VPLP designed the boat around the keels, or at least with the keels in mind. And I suspect those guys know what they are doing.

A condo cat on keels has lower prismatic coef (do we really care ?) ? Not necessarily IMO. Once again because you would compare it with the same cat without keels, and such cat doesn't exist, so the comparison doesn't hold. Well, as far as condo are concerned and IMHO of course.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 02:59   #124

Boat: Lagoon 380

From close under hullspeed to top speed there is only one parameter that really matters to hull-resistance: Length divided by the 3. root of actual displacement (not designers og factory guessings). Forget about primatic coefficients, waterline length to beam ratios etc. My racing friends always aske me: wouldnt you wish your Lagoon only weighed 4 tons instead of 8? No, I answer, that would make the boat dangerous, I would not be sure it could tack away from a lee shore in a gale with all that windage. To overcome the windage - nessecary for comfort in a small cat -, I need the weight and stability to carry enough sailarea to go to windward in a gale/storm. If the boat was lighter, I would need to rebuild her to half the windage. In light winds I can live with using an engine, if I'm in a hurry - which I'm normally not ...
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:34   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Ok, lets do 8 T then. Here is what I will add so wont have reason to go to shops that often. And see who is the fastest !!!
Loos like you are adding 4 tuns.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:41   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
. Once again because you would compare it with the same cat without keels, and such cat doesn't exist, so the comparison doesn't hold.
Seawind 1160 is not a condo cat but its not super high performance racer either, and it is a boat that is available with mini keels and with daggers. And I have sailed both, The dagger boat sails faster and closer to the wind and is also discernibly quicker off the breeze. Its also more expensive.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:43   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
From close under hullspeed to top speed there is only one parameter that really matters to hull-resistance: Length divided by the 3. root of actual displacement (not designers og factory guessings). Forget about primatic coefficients, waterline length to beam ratios etc. My racing friends always aske me: wouldnt you wish your Lagoon only weighed 4 tons instead of 8? No, I answer, that would make the boat dangerous, I would not be sure it could tack away from a lee shore in a gale with all that windage. To overcome the windage - nessecary for comfort in a small cat -, I need the weight and stability to carry enough sailarea to go to windward in a gale/storm. If the boat was lighter, I would need to rebuild her to half the windage. In light winds I can live with using an engine, if I'm in a hurry - which I'm normally not ...
Ah I see your reasoning now. So here is an idea how about filling those mini keels with lead. That should help.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:46   #128

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seawind 1160 is not a condo cat but its not super high performance racer either, and it is a boat that is available with mini keels and with daggers. And I have sailed both, The dagger boat sails faster and closer to the wind and is also discernibly quicker off the breeze. Its also more expensive.
So Factor: You dissagree with QMYC, which in their rating rule -OMR- say that daggerboards only make a multihull 0.5% faster than the same boat with minikeels?
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:33   #129

Quote:
I am not following here ... Do you think VPLP (lagoon) designed a "perfectly balanced" boat, say like yours, and then decided to add the keels ? If that is the case then I would probably to agree with you about unexpected parasitic behavior.

However I tend to believe VPLP designed the boat around the keels, or at least with the keels in mind. And I suspect those guys know what they are doing.

A condo cat on keels has lower prismatic coef (do we really care ?) ? Not necessarily IMO. Once again because you would compare it with the same cat without keels, and such cat doesn't exist, so the comparison doesn't hold. Well, as far as condo are concerned and IMHO of course.
Yes, clearly you're not following. The link and the quoted passage were from Richard Woods, not me.

And if you'd read the article you'd know that he had built and sailed the same designs with minikeels and daggerboards.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 07:11   #130
rom

Quote:
Yes, clearly you're not following. The link and the quoted passage were from Richard Woods, not me.

And if you'd read the article you'd know that he had built and sailed the same designs with minikeels and daggerboards.
Actually I got that, improper quote sorry.

But we are here talking about condos which AFAIK only come with keels. So all that discussion you started about increased pitching is off topic, isn't it ?
Old 21-02-2018, 08:24   #131

Quote:
So you reckon you know more about multihull design than Richard Woods?
No. I reckon he is a human being just like the rest of us, thus capable of making mistakes. I also believe he is capable of recognizing them when brought up.
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:38   #132

Quote:
From close under hullspeed to top speed there is only one parameter that really matters to hull-resistance: Length divided by the 3. root of actual displacement (not designers og factory guessings).
That is indeed the most important nondimensional parameter, but there are also dimensional parameters like weight and wetted area with far more effect on hull-resistance.

Quote:
Forget about prismatic coefficients, waterline length to beam ratios etc. My racing friends always aske me: wouldnt you wish your Lagoon only weighed 4 tons instead of 8? No, I answer, that would make the boat dangerous, I would not be sure it could tack away from a lee shore in a gale with all that windage. To overcome the windage - nessecary for comfort in a small cat -, I need the weight and stability to carry enough sailarea to go to windward in a gale/storm.
If you could have 4 ton version with equal strength, you could have 4 tons of seawater as ballast for those high wind upwind conditions. Then you would have a faster boat in lighter winds without any reduced safety.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:30   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
This will be pretty closely related to the prismatic under the water. Fuller ends above the water reflect a higher prismatic underwater.
The subject was if there is an effect on pitching depending on if there are keels or daggerboards with identical hull shapes. If you count appendages as part of midships area, there will be significant change in prismatic coefficient, but no change on how full the ends are. But you could also ignore the keel area when calculating midships area for the prism, no change in prismatic coefficient either if displacement is the same.
You just changed the subject into different hull shapes, nothing to do with what you quoted.

Quote:
Pitch resistance and nice stern steps are pretty important, more important than smooth water tank tests.

cheers

Phil
Agreed.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:37   #134

Quote:
But we are here talking about condos which AFAIK only come with keels. So all that discussion you started about increased pitching is off topic, isn't it ?
The subject line for this thread reads:"Upwind performance of condomarans"

Pitching has a great effect on upwind performance of condomarans in some conditions in some boats. Obviously not so in calm seas and light steady winds for any of them.
Old 21-02-2018, 10:00   #135
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Sa View Post
Pitching has a great effect on upwind performance of condomarans in some conditions in some boats.
Yes, but their pitching is not related to them having keels as they were designed from the start like this. You & 44C are comparing the same boat with or without keels, which doesn't make sense here, IMHO.

Tags
wind