Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2008, 13:34   #1

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I know there are some folks that experience with trimarans in general and, in particular, Searunner line. I know Steve Rust does and (if I recall correctly) Kai Nui does too. I am sure there are others. So if you have a good deal of experience here, please jump in.

What I would know is this:

From what I understand, a trimaran has in the main hull a bit less room that a comparably sized monohull. But how much? For example would a 40 mono hull be about the same interior volume as a 38, 36 or even lower mono. I understand you would pick up a bit more storage in some other area but I am just looking for a decent rule of thumb if there is one.

How have you found the design of your trimaran? If you would, please specify the length and model. What would you change?

For those that have a Searunner, what do you think of the centerboard and does the centerboard/center cockpit necessitate a walk-over cockpit or is there a pass through option? I’m not keen on the getting dressed just to go from fore to aft.

Now, my specific reasoning for asking this line of questioning is three-fold:

I have little experience in trimarans but am generally interested as with all things sail powered.

There is a project Marples trimaran that has been mentioned here (several times) over the years that is once again for sale (photos) .

Sometimes I think the best thing I can do in life is to help others out. So if you at this and think “Man, I should get this right now”, please do. I’d have no hard feelings and would only wish you well. As much as I’d like to take on a project, my wife has correctly pointed out we have several things floating now (no pun intended) and just the preparations to get it here and start work would be a fairly massive project. But I am still pushing to take on just one more.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran