Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 09:19   #1

Trimaran Advice

Hi,
I'm sailing now 24' modern tri. I felt in love with classic tri's.
My family is growing so the solution would be to build one. As we are sailing in northern Europe, because of some necessary equipment to carry on boat we need at least 37'-40' boat.
I would like to compare Searunner 37 - Cross 38 and Searunner 40 - Cross 40 but have no experience with them.
I will be grateful for any remark.
Thanks in advance
Przemek
przemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 13:14   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, przemor, and welcome to CF. I'm sure you'll get some advice here, but in the meanwhile, here's a link to some earlier threads on the subject you're interested in. Click on the link in my signature line to do some research of your own.

searunner and cross trimaran - Google Search
Old 29-10-2010, 22:25   #3

Trimarans

Hi Przemor,

Apparently Trimarans are not high on the priority list here. I'm not getting any response from anyone either from my trimaran post. Wish I could answer your question but I just bought my first trimaran too. A 40' Nottingham. Where in Europe are you? Although I am on the West coast of the U.S. and will primarily sail the Pacific, one of my dreams is to sail down through the Panama Canal and across the Atlantic to visit the U.K. and down to the Mediterranean. Good luck
snowyegret222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 01:20   #4

Tri

Hi,

Thanks a lot. UC Coast seems to full of multis, what I like particularly.

I'm located in Poland, so we sail mainly Baltic Sea to Baltic Countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), often to Germany, Sweden, Norway and further to Netherlands, France, UK, Spain and Portugal. Baltic Sea and La Manche are pretty crowded so the sailing sometimes is a "slalom" and good navigation practice. The good thing is that you see the speed difference between your small tri and even 50' mono as you pass them

I know that it will be difficult to find a good advice on tri's as we are a small tri-generation. Nowadays "French type" charter cats are everywhere with their high bridgedecks and air conditioned cabins. The other thing is that you stop to see them as the weather is getting stronger

If you intend to come to Europe, do not hesitate. For winter time choose southern Spain or France (it's more expensive (you pay around 200 euros for all the month mooring in marina in southern France) but the temperature is not painful) and for the summer come to the north.
You are welcome!
Old 30-10-2010, 07:29   #5

Atlantic and Europe

I'd better brush up on my languages before I head your way. I've never really thought about sailing to Poland, Lithuania etc. hmmmmm Interesting. How is the crime (piracy etc). Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm not going anywhere near Africa, especially the east coast. I've always wanted to see Athens, Greece and Italy. I'm afraid I won't want to leave though LOL
snowyegret222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 08:10   #6

Tri

Hi,
Don't worry. It's calm and safe. It's Europe. Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are known for it's hospitality.
Besides, you can see the things that you will not se anywhere else, eg. ancient monuments from communism era.
After the change and fall of communism in 1989 many things has changed and now it all European Union.
Haw it was many many years ago on the Baltic Sea you can read from Richard Woods article - famous british catamaran designer - as he sailed to Russia.
Cruising Articles
Cheers,
Old 30-10-2010, 09:28   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyegret222 View Post
I How is the crime (piracy etc). Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm not going anywhere near Africa, especially the east coast. I've always wanted to see Athens, Greece and Italy. I'm afraid I won't want to leave though LOL
No pirates in Europe, well apart from a few bankers who need stringing up, oh and some large marina operators who feel its there god given right to charge what they feel like tax them till they squeak seems to be their business plan.

Nor would I have any worries about some of the N African countries like Morocco, Tunisia or Eygpt. I would understand if you skipped Libya, but if you could get an invite to enter you could dine out on the story for years.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 12:57   #8

Good Evening Przemek,

If you want to build the larger trimaran yourself, look no further than the work of Ian Farrier. www.f-boat.com

He has both a 36 and 39 footer.
Ian Farrier concentrates on designs for the dedicated and focussed amateur builder. The quality of his work is tops. EVERY single detail of the work is specified, all engineer drawings are included and he answers e-mails within 24 hours. (based in New Zealand) But you won't have too many reasons to contact him. Its all in the drawings.

Unlike many other designers, Farrier has stuck to a small portfolio of designs and instead focussed on absolute perfection.

By the time you are finished building, you feel like he has become your personal friend.

And his boats sail. Their performance under sail will make any other cruising boat look rather pedestrian.

Why do I say this? Because I built one of his boats, a 9.5 meter F9AX.

Nothing sails as sweetly as a well designed trimaran.

Enjoy the planning!

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 13:16   #9

Tri

Thank you Banjo.
I like your remarks.

The reason I'm thinking about classic tri simply is because it is pretty. These constructions are proven and tested within 30 years in different conditions. Technology is quiet simple.
I'm sailing a modern tri now and I appreciate sailing qualities, but I like classic designs.

The choice is hard. I hope I'll be able to judge well.........

Thank you once again
Przemek
Old 30-10-2010, 15:29   #10

Have a lot at my thread "beau's boat" on this forum.
I designed and had built an aluminium 39 ft (12 meter) trimaran.
Because I don't like the interior layout of Catamarans and I love multihulls for the shallow draft and more "up" living area.
My boat is designed as a live aboard cruiser than when dismantled will fit inside a 40 ft shipping container.
It is a motor sailor, primarily motor which are two 90 hp outboards. I cruise at 8 knots with one motor and achieve 15 knots with two. We sail downwind when the weather is right.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:27   #11

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
Hi Prezemek i will second Farrier trimarans designs as they are great boats , my tri is a one off design which we fell for, as an unfinished project but it was launched with rig but no interior fit out, it took us 18 months to fit her out on a hardstand perhaps you may find someones elses dream started and be able to pick it up for a good price -we searched lots of boat yards for just such a boat and the internet in the end it was pure chance that we found our tri -hope you have the same luck ! cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 23:14   #12

Thanks Andy. I'll look around. It's a good idea.
Przemek
Old 30-11-2010, 13:44   #13

Hello Przemek, I am about to build a tristar 31, I chose an older design for most of the same reasons you are looking at them, but also payload. I will modernize it a bit with foam core construction and all biaxel glass with no mat. Also plan on adding a daggerboard rudder. I wanted the option of shallow draft so Cross was elimanated, this left the searunners and tristars both good boats. Searunner owners love their boats and are not shy when telling you about them, tristar owners dont post much on the net and not many seem to come on the market. You will read that tristars are ugly , I say to each their own, you will also find the specs of the 27'9", 31, 32xr compared to a Cross and Searunner, I think 31s, the tristars come out on top, that info was put out by a searunner owner by the way, who also told me the 27'9" sailed better than his searunner 31 and had more room. Ed horstmans boats are already designed to be built in foam, or wood, or both. good luck, rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:51   #14

Thanks a lot. I'll look for some more info about Tristar 31. Cheers
Old 30-11-2010, 14:01   #15

Przemor, the 36 or 38 might suit your needs better than the 31, the 35 seems to be just a larger version of the 31. rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran