Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 09:49   #16

Re: Tomcat 6.2 catamaran

I didn't change the rudder-CB it was Coastal Cruiser that did that, but, I just broke both my cables last week. I bought the new cables and will install in the next few days. I am also thinking about changing the design or making slip on plastic bushings for the cables when they break.The problem with the cables is that they don't allow the rudders to fully exit the water. I found the Yamaha too heavy on the transom and a pain when I have to service it so I went to 6 hp Tohatsu with charging. I only need the motor to exit the canal my boat is on and then it is sail time. The boat moves OK with 6 hp even when the tide is against me. Next June I want to pull the boat out of the water and redo the gelcoat, Florida sun is harsh on finishes. Also toying with the idea of raising the mast 12-16 inches and having a stand up tent cabin built for the boat, this way I can day sail or camp out without having to bend over to walk around. It would be basically a large bimini over the deck, with sides of screening for the summer and windows for the winter. If you look closely at my photos you will see the mast raising system prototype that I built, works great and is safe, and can be used by one person. I love this boat.
osbornemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:57   #17

Hi Graham,

I'm still getting used to this forum and mistakenly replied to a notification email rather than posting on the site. So...here is my post. It may be a little redundant.

I'm asking $15K for my Tomcat. That's what I paid for it from a guy who was using it as a pontoon boat. It is #16.

Like you, I got rid of all the extra weight. I did keep the 9.9 electric start Yamaha (which I got running right), the steering, and the controls. I also made sliding covers for the lazarette hatches so you could access the hatches while sailing, got the depth & speedo working, and got rid of the cables for lifting the centerboard and rudders with what I think is a better system. I also did the jib cars a little differently.

I have kept the "windshield" for the moment. I have a bimini and the cockpit cover though I don't often use them. My boat is currently on the Navesink River. I sail there and in Raritan Bay.

The Hirondelle I bought is the one in Georgia. It's not as clean as it looks in the pics but it's solid. The cushions need recovering or replacing. There is vinyl glued to the cabin side and ceiling which is going to have to go as it is starting to come undone. The main is pretty much toast.

I'm trying to decide if I should try to get it north before the cold winds blow or winter it down there and sail up in the spring. I would be interested in getting together with other Tomcat owners in-person or virtually and comparing notes. Right this second I need to decide what I'm doing with the Hirondelle and I need to bring the Sandy Long-Term Recovery Group I have been chairing to a more or less controlled landing. And I guess I have to get my Tomcat on the market.

Patrick
Coastal.Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:58   #18

Boat: Tomcat 6.2

Hi Patrick,

My husband and I own TC#33 and we are just south of you in Lavallette, NJ. The boat is in Toms River. We would love the opportunity to get together and discuss the changes you've made and just sailing the boat in general. I'm not quite sure how we get to the point of talking directly and not through the Forum, but let's try to connect.

Sheila
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 15:35   #19

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser

All we just moved away from the water and I am selling my Tomcat 6.2 and trailer. We are in Clearlake and you can see some youtube videos of her on line. It is a 1998 #6. first 7.5k gets her. my number is 972 742 7904
dfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 14:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstender View Post
I'm looking to buy a tomcat 6.2. Are you, or do you know of anyone that has one for sale. Any year any location.
Thanks
Tomstender 5613945534
still looking for a tomcat 6.2? If so, please contact me. I have one newly refurbished that I may be interested in selling. I am near Jacksonville, florida. I sent you a text asking if you were still looking.
LWDBZBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 14:44   #21

I'm leaning towards a stiletto
Tomstender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 15:07   #22

Ok if you'd like photos or anything let me know.
LWDBZBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 09:47   #23

Hi, I joined the forum after seeing the postings for the TC6.2s listed for sale. I'm in South Jersey and I'm interested in buying a TC. I'm not sure which boats are still for sale but I'm interested in chatting with any of the members that have one they'd like to sell.

Dan
Dorysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:50   #24

I just came across this forum and thread and hoping to meet some other Tomcat owners. My husband and I are buying hull #46 off a guy here in FL…he did say this boat was up in NJ so it is likely the same Cat another commenter mentioned seeing. This will be our first Cat and we can’t wait! Such a cool boat. Would love to hear/see any tools or tips you recommend in putting up and taking down the mast. Thanks!
FLCatCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:12   #25

Boat: Tomcat 6.2

Good luck with your new boat. We have our TomCat at a full-service marina here in NJ. They have done the commissioning and decommissioning for us, including raising and lowering the mast since we took delivery.
You're so lucky to be in Florida so you can enjoy sailing year-round.
To that point, we are getting ready to sell our boat as we simply don't use it enough to justify the effort/expense.
Can I ask what you paid for the boat? I'm having a tough time finding comparable sale info. Our boat is hull #33 and the boat was sold as a power boat in 2003. We purchased her in 2009 and shipped her to the builder in Canada to be retrofit as sailboat. So, rudders, sails, boom, mast, etc. are 2010. We replaced the Honda 5.0 HP engine with the 15HP in 2014.
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 16:42   #26

Hi osbornemc, we are new owners of a Tomcat 6.2 hull #46 and have a question about you replacing your seats. Our cat is in really good shape, but we realized the seats were not. What did you replace yours with? Also, we seem to be missing a pin that goes thru the base of the mast and into the ball hitch it sits on....would happen to have a picture so we can find a replacement? I realize this is an older thread, but excited to learn from other Tomcat owners about their boats and their "upgrades" thanks!
FLCatCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, omc