Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2007, 05:46   #1

TomCat 6.2

I am looking for comments from anyone who has sailed a TomCat 6.2. Is it safe to install a Yamaha 25 or 50HP outboard? Specifically I would like remarks about performance and how seaworthy. If you have any other comments that would be great too.
Andrew Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 09:14   #2

Boat: Tomcat 6.2
New TC 6.2 Users

I realize this is an old post, but I was curious if you ever bought a Tomcat 6.2. We bought one this year and had our first season on it. Would be interested in sharing perspectives.
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 14:27   #3

Tomcat 6.2

While I bought the Tomcat, I want it for my own use. However, I have changed my career, and I become the only yacht charter company in Hong Kong. I have now 14 yachts (included 4 cats). Tomcat 6.2 is not a heavy duty Cat.
I am selling it at big discount. I think it is still good for personal use and in Shallow water or lake like Shanghai or Macau in China.
Andrew Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 15:21   #4

why buy one?

Why buy if you can download it for free...
Apache Tomcat - Apache Tomcat 6 Downloads
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 07:25   #5

No, the 6.2 is definitely not a heavy duty, and that's why we bought one. We sail in Barnegat Bay, NJ and strictly as daysailers. I couldn't find another boat that fit our needs in this size. We had moved up from a Hobie 16 and we were looking for a comfortable boat we could spend the day on and still not pay $100,000+. We bought as a runabout and sent to to Strain for a complete retrofit as the sailboat.

I still would be interested in any comments on the boat.
Old 07-10-2013, 14:10   #6

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: TomCat 6.2

I have had mine for a year now and can tell you it is a good boat for 1-2 people. Sails about 50 degrees off the wind. The rudder up/down was broken and stays broken on my boat. Using the motor cable seems to be not a good idea as it rust at the connection to the rudders. I plan to modify come winter. I need new sails but I do notice it sails well even with the crappy ones I have. Not entirely sold on the jib set up especially when you go off wind. no track so very hard to adjust the curl. I really like the comfort of the chairs and I rarely get wet. I sail in Galveston bay and have enjoyed the heck out of the little boat. I traded down from a Stiletto 30' so you really cannot compare experiences. This boat is very forgiving. Would like to see a better holder setup for the centerboard lever. I have stayed overnight on it. It is the perfect boat for me when I want to get a few hours of sailing under my belt after a stressful day.
dfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:38   #7

Very interested in your comments as I've been searching for a place to exchange information anout the TomCat 6.2. We just took her over to the new marina for the winter, as the previous one was destroyed by Sandy last October. We got used to the cables and replace them each year in the spring as a maintenance item. Not too big a deal. We do NOT have the motor and rudders linked as that didn't work out at all. Do you have the original jib or the furling Genoa? We have the Gennie. Agree with you on the centerboard holder. My husband fabricated one out of aluminum bar stock. Much better!

Was your boat the one with the green canvas that was on YouTube last summer? I will tell you, every single year people tell us when we are ready to sell to let them know. I think there are only 2 in NJ.
Old 07-10-2013, 15:58   #8

Interesting centerboard solution. I was thinking like that but I do push my luck sometimes in shallow waters and was afraid of doing more damage as right now the handle slides out if too much pressure but... it also slides out when I tack. Annoying. I may just go with your solution. Yes I did buy the one listed last year here in Houston. I never got he manuals for it. Can you tell me more about the cable for the rudders? It was not working when I got it. How much are they and is it easy to fix? My sails are original (I think). It is a roller jib. Genny would be nice but not needed too much here as I usually have a good wind. I did fix the holder for the auto pilot with aluminium stock. My rudders and motor are not link either and I always thought the bar that the pin is supposed to sit in was installed upside down (hence the pin appears short). I have not explored it that much since my arms are long I can have one hand on the tiller and one on the wheel as I back out. The boat is very very buoyant. Especially when it is just me. I notice after strong rains my hulls leak a little. I was thinking I would just get a portable tiny bilge pump and plug into cigarette lighter on dash. I need new sails. Any recommendations?
Old 07-10-2013, 16:01   #9

BTW I thought I should mention how I just unfold the seat, use a cushion for a back rest and sail the bay as I read. I call it the gentleman's catamaran! My friend called it the barcalounger sailer.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:09   #10

Here is a little tidbit, my first boat was a Barnegat Bay sneakbox. Ever hear of it? It was cat rigged, used for shallow marsh duck hunting (so I was told). It had a shelves for the shotguns in it. I grew up south of Philly and was into sailing at a young age. It was stored under a porch down at the Jersey shore at the uncles's house of a neighbor and they gave it to me to restore.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:28   #11

Our sails are only 3 years old. The sail bag says Triton Sails and this is what I just found on the innerwebz:
Please contact Triton Sails at (905) 891-8166
info@tritonsails.com
You could probably contact TomCat as well but they may have a markup. We cut several settings into the centerboard holder so we keep it at mid extension and that seems to work. We have moved further south in the bay for next season and there is a lot more depth in that part of the bay, so we keep it fully extended more often. As to the cables I know they are Mercury Outboard cables and not expensive. They are a little tricky to install the first time but it gets easier with a little practice. We never have water in the hulls, so we just keep a hand bump on board. Maybe the gaskets around the hole covers need to be replaced?

Manuals? We got manuals!
Go here:http://www.tomcatboats.com/PDFFiles/TC62Manual.pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 17:15   #12

I just tried to post some links to the TomCat manual in PDF and the sailmaker that made our sails, as they are only three years old. Very well made, BTW.

Any way, since I'm not yet a trusted member they have to review my post. I have no idea how that happens. Too much spam, I guess. I have the info, but I just don't know how to get it to you!
Old 07-10-2013, 18:35   #13

Re: TomCat 6.2 FOR SALE $13,900

My wife LOVES our Tomcat.the centerboard system was rebuilt with a bearing and works much better. I have two roller furler sails(jib,Genoa) and a newer Yamaha 9.9,I am the second owner and she has never been in saltwater,the seats are in very good condition and the Bimini has been replaced,the trailer is in excellent condition and there are boxes of spares. She is in my garage for the winter. Delivery available.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 15:40   #14

Baybaby - A little surprised the manual does not have any pictures as it relates to the cable replacement. When you remove the screws at the bottom of the lever am I endanger of the centerboard dropping out? Or does it just expose the clevis pin (s)? Also, do you have a picutre of how the cable attaches to the rudder? It looks like I can get replacement cables for $25 at Wholesale Marine - Control Cable for Mercruiser / Mercury / Mariner 1965 to Date
Old 16-12-2013, 19:31   #15

I have a very nice Tomcat 6.2 for sale, only fresh water,newer Yamaha 9.9, original sails in very good condition,nice bimini,extra cables,excellent trailer, roller furler jib, improved center board,stored indoors for the winter, original seats in very good condition,lots of extras. $13,900 775 827 2786 Reno
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote