Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 05:07   #46
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

For what it's worth, LaVagabonde actively pursued Ouremer because they liked their brand of cats. Outremer didn't initialize the deal but realized it made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 07:05   #47

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
For what it's worth, LaVagabonde actively pursued Ouremer because they liked their brand of cats. Outremer didn't initialize the deal but realized it made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, after watching the video, realize that now.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:24   #48

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Last summer walking through the marina parking lot I saw two cars pull in and park. One was an early 50's(?) Jaguar XK140 and I thought...."sleek". The second car pulled in a couple of seconds later was a Tesla and I thought "sleek". They were talking and of course, I butted in because I like cars. Turns out we all admired both cars.

Cats and monos...the same. Some are sleek and will become classics and some are garbage.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:30   #49

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
SNIP

I own a mono because I can't afford a Tiki 38..

Once again Boatty shows his experience.

While I am not sure I would buy a Gunboat if I had the big bucks I have no doubt if I could trade my Seawind 1000 with extended sugar scoops for a brand new Seawind 1190 with all the upgrades my 1000 has I would do it in a New York minute. The thing is I am not sure doubling or tripling what I paid for my boat to get a 1190 makes sense. Sometimes it is not just the price point of a boat but what raising the price point buys, or does not buy.

For some folks all they are looking for is a bunk with no, or few, leaks above it and never expect it to move. Others want to sail, but only on passages (maybe not the right word) that are shorter than the time it will take for the ice in the cooler to melt. Not saying this is a record but I have not been at a dock or ball for three months straight and only had ships stores I bought before I left. I anchored out or was sailing the whole time and carried everything I needed. Of course this pales compared to what some boats are capable of doing but does illustrate how many different levels of what boats are capable of doing.

While not everyone is looking for the same thing in a boat most folks will agree if you up the price point you should be able to get a boat you will be happier with. For a lot of folks what makes them happy is a catamaran, if they can afford it.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:40   #50

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

I personally prefer the mono, but don't denigrate those who like multi's. For me, though, "reading" wind strength and direction comes naturally with the angle of heel. Maybe it's because I learned on a Snipe when I was 14! (and I'm 71 now)
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:53   #51

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls: Elana explains it pretty well at the 3.51 minute mark , "we want to live our life on the ocean , to do that, you need to be comfortable...." https://youtu.be/hMYT5E_oeC4?t=3m51s
The same reason why so many sailboats are poorly built: People stay in marinas as soon as the wind goes above force 6
In an anchorage I would go for a cat; for ocean passages I would go for a monohull
Cheer... cats are far more stable upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatIn@Storm.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	141974   Click image for larger version

Name:	UpsideDown.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	141975  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 09:19   #52

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Cats may be comfy, but damn are they ugly.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 09:32   #53
Marine Service Provider

I'm an old salt, I guess, but I just bought not only a cat but a power cat. I can hear the booooos already. I've had 45 years of monos (actually I still own one) and loved every minute, even long distance ocean races in conditions like combat (wet, cold, dirty, hungry and terrified and no more that an hour's sleep in a day kind of thing) but I'm not so young any more. Please forgive me for I have sinned.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 09:38   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
I'm guessing it is hard to apply make-up when your boat is rocking?
no Im sure its the same
its just getting it on the right part of the face that is the challenge, unless the look you want is like the Joker out of Batman
Old 25-02-2017, 09:58   #55

I do not see the market shift you may be seeing. I have owned and sailed mono hulls for the last forty or more years. In that time the fad of having a multi hull has come and gone a number of times. Additionally slip space precludes ease of finding long term moorage other than an end tie while the ever present possibility of a capsize is about all I need. A good sailboat with an honest keel, by that I mean led, will not "hobby horse" at anchor while at sea the pitching is much reduced. Will a mono heel less or more will depend on the being wind and sea. I do know that in heavy seas working to weather I would not trade for a multi hull over my mono hull.
mickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Elana explains it pretty well at the 3.51 minute mark ,

"we want to live our life on the ocean , to do that, you need to be comfortable...."

https://youtu.be/hMYT5E_oeC4?t=3m51s
Not true as to comfort it is safety and confidence which will yield a happier time on the ocean. Not to mention that a well sailed mono is not going to be over on its ear all the time.
mickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:03   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickelsen View Post
I do not see the market shift you may be seeing. I have owned and sailed mono hulls for the last forty or more years. In that time the fad of having a multi hull has come and gone a number of times. Additionally slip space precludes ease of finding long term moorage other than an end tie while the ever present possibility of a capsize is about all I need. A good sailboat with an honest keel, by that I mean led, will not "hobby horse" at anchor while at sea the pitching is much reduced. Will a mono heel less or more will depend on the being wind and sea. I do know that in heavy seas working to weather I would not trade for a multi hull over my mono hull.
I think I object to your analysis due to its obvious bias. Owning a multihull is not a fad.
There are multihulls I would not like to own, but there are many many more monos I would not like to own.
In the end, they are all vessels of transportation and usage. Just need to find which one suits the needs.
I have a monohull. Time for a multi.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:05   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Not true as to comfort it is safety and confidence which will yield a happier time on the ocean. Not to mention that a well sailed mono is not going to be over on its ear all the time.
I think you missed the point entirely.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:17   #59

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
That would be easy for me....a Cat and never look back....

Which, if we can talk frankly for a moment, is why some monohull folks don't like cats. It's old fashioned Class Envy thing in the world where we are bread and feed a constant stream of anti evil 1%-er BS. Anyone with more money than you is the enemy and anyone with a better boat got it from screwing the poor. Hey...that's the political landscape today folks...so all of us that can afford to go cruising in their eyes we are the evil 1%-ers. Can I get a T-shirt that says "Evil 1%-er"
I don't see it like this at all. These arguments remind me more of the skiing vs snowboarder conflict...you know, classic elegance vs knuckle-dragger
Old 25-02-2017, 10:33   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Ha ha ha ....don't you love it when people tell others what actually makes them happy rather than listening to them!

Come on amigo...it's not an attack on your manhood that some people like Cats better than Mono. It's crazy to argue the point...yet....here we GOOOOOO
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull