Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 01:12   #16

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: The loss of Walkabout

Was the fishing boat fishing? If it was then it was the stand-on vessel so was not required to deviate course (providing it was displaying correct lights/day shapes!). It probably wasn't fishing if it was doing 15 knots but just wanted to ask the question.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:32   #17

That is such a shame. Really really sorry that you have lost the boat. No matter who was at fault or why, it still doesn't change the fact that the boat is gone, along with all the great plans you had for her and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Well the Spanish port decided to put a repair fee on her that was double the insured value, along with an absurdly high initial minor repair cost just to move the boat to a port where full repairs can be done, so as it stands they’re cutting it up this week.

Had the accident happened in the UK or France I suspect a repair would’ve been possible but that part of Spain isn’t really sailing yacht friendly, and the sheer logistics of shipping a mast, working out what replacement centre and cross beam needed to be installed, sorting the steering, repairing all the damage from the recent huge rain fall... needless to say I’m pretty gutted about it, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

N
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:17   #18

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
That is such a shame. Really really sorry that you have lost the boat. No matter who was at fault or why, it still doesn't change the fact that the boat is gone, along with all the great plans you had for her and your family.
Thanks mate.

Yep it’s terrible. I spent a year rebuilding the boat to finally get back to the Caribbean and had the boat 100% how I wanted it, not to mention it was my home as well. Still, a short break won’t hurt and I’ll get back into it soon enough.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:14   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is that a custom build and who designed your boat?
I like it. I'll drink a beer for you for better days ahead. I'd buy you one but we have logistical issues.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:14   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Oh, my goodness, my heart goes out to you! What rotten luck, and she looks like she was a fine, fine boat!
If you're a bit on the superstitious side (you are a sailor), then I have a suggestion: Following the rule of threes, maybe you want to get a cheap, near-derelict and wait for it to come to a disaster before you go with your world-traveling keeper! Then, for your fourth boat, be sure and do all the proper obeisance to Neptune. https://www.myboatlife.com/2013/04/h...ristening.html

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57   #21

Boat: 1987 322 O'Day - 32

Such unfortunate happenings. However, your attitude and priority’s of family will bring you good fortune in your next endeavor. Positivity in your thoughts helps!
Sail Away Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 17:35   #22

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
So it’s taken me a while to post about this but with a couple of fellow CF members asking what happened, here it is.

Some of you will remember my cat was dropped by the boat yard due to shoddy lifting practices earlier this summer (pic #1). Basically they picked it up with a crawler trailer using extensions and insufficient straps, which then snapped and punctured a hull.

Anyway, that was all repaired after two months out of the water, a new paint job went on, new rigging, new trampolines, new wiring, engine refreshes, interior updating, steering system rework - basically the lot got done.

Managed a few more trips out in the Solent and tweaked a few more bits, and all was looking good to head south. Then my dad was diagnosed with emphysemia and I had to make the tough decision to enlist the help off a delivery skipper to get the boat to southern Spain, while I went back to Aus for three weeks to do the family thing. This was it for me in the UK as well, so off went the car, work was wrapped up, a house full of gear given away / donated to the local charity shop, and goodbyes said.

Delivery skipper and crew duly arrived and after a handover, I left them to it to set sail on the Monday. All looked good for the first few days as the boat headed south - a few niggles popped up (cupboard doors popping open, the main VHF decided to develop a fault) but otherwise progress was pretty good until Thursday night when the tracker stopped. Nothing on Friday either. And then the message came on Saturday morning, just as I left the Southampton Boat Show, that they’d been run down by a fishing boat 60nm north of Viviero at 0430. The fishing boat had towed them into port but the boat was a write off.

As details came to light, it turned out to be such an unlucky situation you’d barely believe it - a 1200nm trip spanning 5 days, 1 min or 50m either way and it would’ve been a near miss. The insurance company gave it a 0.00005% chance of happening...

Anyway, the boat ended up tied to a dock in Viviero where I finally managed to get to it six weeks later and it was a mess. Rig gone, crossbeam gone, forward lockers gone, both bows damaged - but still afloat. When she was built, originally the boat had a large fore and aft box section crossbeam and the rest was built around it. This made for narrow hulls, but a strong as f*ck boat that meant the damage was fundamentally superficial.... but expensive to fix. The Spanish quotes to fix came in at double the insured value, so it was a simple numbers game for the insurers to write her off in the end.

I managed to salvage some of my personal items and for this, I’m thankful to the delivery skipper for not abandoning ship. The marina then sent me photos of the haul out at the wreckers last night and it kills me to see, as the boat is 90% still fine... had I been able to take 3-6 months off I’d have gone down and fixed it, but life gets in the way and that’s just not possible. It was especially hard as I’d just managed to get the boat 100% right and this was my home, but sometimes life has other plans and it’s out of your control (see insurance percentage above).

So there you have it. Many thanks to all you who offered to crew with me to the Canaries and beyond. I’m going to take a break from boats for a bit but will be back soon enough.

N
WoW bummer tough luck after all that not one word on your dad I hope he is
alright .
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that a custom build and who designed your boat?
I like it. I'll drink a beer for you for better days ahead. I'd buy you one but we have logistical issues.
Yah, Solaris 42 hulls then a custom bridgedeck and rig. Thanks for the offer!

N
Old 07-01-2020, 02:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Oh, my goodness, my heart goes out to you! What rotten luck, and she looks like she was a fine, fine boat!
If you're a bit on the superstitious side (you are a sailor), then I have a suggestion: Following the rule of threes, maybe you want to get a cheap, near-derelict and wait for it to come to a disaster before you go with your world-traveling keeper! Then, for your fourth boat, be sure and do all the proper obeisance to Neptune. https://www.myboatlife.com/2013/04/h...ristening.html

ID
Haha well the first boat I had (Oday 34) I bought in Florida, had no idea about, and had the best time sailing through the Bahamas.

The next two (42ft ketch and Walkabout) I’ve spent years in England buying and building with plans to get back to the Carib, and never quite got there... so the next one I’ll just buy in Florida or the Carib again and enjoy being in paradise, rather than trying to get there!!

N
Old 07-01-2020, 02:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
WoW bummer tough luck after all that not one word on your dad I hope he is
alright .
Not sure how an update on my dad’s health has anything to do with the story but he’s fine thanks.

N
Old 07-01-2020, 03:39   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The loss of Walkabout

In fairness to folk who may be considering me for a boat movement this year it is only right I state that I was the skipper on this failed delivery.
My reasons for not abandoning Walkabout were simple..
Why abandon vital evidence as to the accident and weaken the case against the fishing vessel at sea if there was a chance to bring her to port.
After nearly 1 hour trying to get me to abandon ship they finally offered to tow me in when I made it clear I was prepared to try to reach port under my own steam once the weather settled and seas subsided as forecast for later that day.
She was taking no water in the main hulls as such that the pumps could not cope with and both engines were functional so once the wind and sea eased it was to my mind a feasible mission.
I cannot and will not answer any other questions regarding the incident as the case is still ongoing so don't waste your time trying..
Some pics taken of the damage.. thats a furling boom lying on the cabin top.. could not cut the rigging with the wire cutter so had to pull the split pins and knock out the cotters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190921_135639.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	206477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190921_135650.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	206478  

Name:	P_20190921_135644.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	206479   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190921_135721.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	206480  

Name:	P_20190921_135747.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	206481   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190921_135913.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	206482  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:47   #27

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In fairness to folk who may be considering me for a boat movement this year it is only right I state that I was the skipper on this failed delivery. My reasons for not abandoning Walkabout were simple..
Why abandon vital evidence as to the accident and weaken the case against the fishing vessel at sea if there was a chance to bring her to port.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In fairness to folk who may be considering me for a boat movement this year it is only right I state that I was the skipper on this failed delivery.
My reasons for not abandoning Walkabout were simple..
After nearly 1 hour trying to get me to abandon ship they finally offered to tow me in when I made it clear I was prepared to try to reach port under my own steam once the weather settled and seas subsided as forecast for later that day.
She was taking no water in the main hulls as such that the pumps could not cope with and both engines were functional so once the wind and sea eased it was to my mind a feasible mission.
I cannot and will not answer any other questions regarding the incident as the case is still ongoing so don't waste your time trying..
Some pics taken of the damage.. thats a furling boom lying on the cabin top.. could not cut the rigging with the wire cutter so had to pull the split pins and knock out the cotters.
Thanks Phil.

I have to say while I’m frustrated the whole situation happened, for anyone considering Phil I’d still highly recommend his services. Not only did he get the vessel to a port, he also stayed with the vessel to ensure it was secure and worked well with the port authorities to give me the best chance of getting some of my personal belongings back.

Nathan
Old 07-01-2020, 04:33   #29

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Wow, that's really a shame! So avoidable. Here's hoping your luck takes a dramatic turn toward the better. It's about time for some things to start going your way.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:44   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The loss of Walkabout

Thanks for that Nathan..
Who says Aussies aren't chill, laid back folk.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass