Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 13:22   #121

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Biggest negative to owning a catamaran - you WILL at times have to put up with absolute, uninformed rubbish from self styled "experts" who have never set foot on a multihull.
Is it that a percentage of posters are so bored with their life they feel compelled to spread negative statements or drifting comments to simply satisfy their need for an argument? If so that's pretty sad!

I share my beer/food and friendship with any cruisers in any anchorage, always have done and always will do! Making bad taste comments regarding someones boat choice is no different in my book to commenting about that persons spouse. YOU SIMPLY SHUT UP!

Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran = Enjoying a boat so much that it truly pisses off the un-initiated!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 13:23   #122

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
wouldn't it be suspicious of both hulls caught fire at the same time?
Not in 10,000 feet of water!
Old 12-03-2012, 13:27   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not in 10,000 feet of water!
since the deepest depth of any ocean we are aware of is slightly less than 7,000 feet, I would say a burned out boat in 10,000 feet of water would be suspicious, very suspicious.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:32   #124

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I must confess that I only alluded to his "issue" (as you call wrecking his boat) because he kinda ommitted that bit from his tale of brain free voyaging............and, yes, I would have said the same if he had been aboard a mono - the only difference is that I would not have needed to add this clarification if the thread was not on Planet Multihull.

Wrecking a boat from dumb arsed decisions based on wishful thinking may be considered a succesful completion of a voyage in upside-down-land - but not everywhere, get used to it ....I would have thought acheiving the status of wreck a pertinent fact to mention (allude to? ) whilst blowing smoke up own ass.

Ooopps....I will probably get another whining PM .
Valuable commentary from someone doing his best to close down a thread. Seems to be only reason for commentary.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:33   #125
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
since the deepest depth of any ocean we are aware of is slightly less than 7,000 feet, I would say a burned out boat in 10,000 feet of water would be suspicious, very suspicious.
here something to be aware of-I sail over about 14,000 feet many times off the south western Peloponeese-Greece !
Old 12-03-2012, 13:39   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Wrecking a boat from dumb arsed decisions based on wishful thinking may be considered a succesful completion of a voyage in upside-down-land - but not everywhere, get used to it ....I would have thought acheiving the status of wreck a pertinent fact to mention (allude to? ) whilst blowing smoke up own ass................
What we do have here in Upside Down Land, as you quaintly call it (wow that is so funny I have never heard that joke before) is compassion, poor bugger wrecked his boat AT ANCHOR, had nothing to do with crossing oceans on autopilot, so we didn't rub his nose in it. BTW you do realise that the earth is round and that as a matter of physics our location is space is equally valid expressed as Australia downunder as well as the obverse?

An extraordinarily rude and offensive comment.

Quote:
Marianas Trench in the pacific is approx 11,000 metres or approx 36,000 feet,
Old 12-03-2012, 13:47   #127
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Is it that a percentage of posters are so bored with their life they feel compelled to spread negative statements or drifting comments to simply satisfy their need for an argument? If so that's pretty sad!

I share my beer/food and friendship with any cruisers in any anchorage, always have done and always will do! Making bad taste comments regarding someones boat choice is no different in my book to commenting about that persons spouse. YOU SIMPLY SHUT UP!

Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran = Enjoying a boat so much that it truly pisses off the un-initiated!!!

No, its more that the OP requested the CONS of a multi. Predictably, the multi crowd can't think of any and immediately start to hyper defensively flood the thread. Id say those posts are the drifting off topic ones. If you don't have a con don't post. Simple. "Spread negative comments" is what we were asked for. You must not have understood the thread. Or conveniently forgot.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:53   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, its more that the OP requested the CONS of a multi. Predictably, the multi crowd can't think of any and immediately start to hyper defensively flood the thread. Id say those posts are the drifting off topic ones. If you don't have a con don't post. Simple.
Thought he did list a CON

QUOTE Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran = Enjoying a boat so much that it truly pisses off the un-initiated!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 14:03   #129

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Saw an interesting Cat drawback last week. A 50 ft + day-charter cat leave Oyster Pond. The seas were about 10-11 feet, there were charterers forward on the trampoline when the boat went up a breaking wave into 25kts + wind and nearly pitch-poled bacwards as the wind caught the trampoline; the people on the trampoliine lwere ejected from the boat suddenly. Later that week, no charterers were allowed on the trampoline when the boat went out
If you are talking Oyster Pond, St. Martin, I believe it. We chartered a Lagoon 41 out of there and the waves were crashing over the boat and getting us wet in the cockpit. They get some nasty waves there.
Old 12-03-2012, 14:47   #130
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Although I've never owned a catamaran, and probably never will, I've decided that the major con to cat ownership is that you'll never be accepted as a real cruiser by the fellow down on the docks who speaks fluent pirate and whose Margaritaville t-shirt is always befouled by parrot guano.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing?
Old 12-03-2012, 14:52   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Although I've never owned a catamaran, and probably never will, I've decided that the major con to cat ownership is that you'll never be accepted as a real cruiser by the peg-legged, one-eyed fellow down on the docks who speaks fluent pirate and whose shirts are always befouled by parrot guano.

who care's if you please anyone but yourself? I have studied and studied the features of a monohull and catamaran and have concluded the benefits of sailing a multihull Far exceed any benefits a monohull can offer.
If I am considered "not a real sailer" by the establishment, well, I will not argue, I will just wait for their boat to lean my way and give them a wave as I sail past.
If you note, that is one of the cons I listed as obvious, multihull sailers are not considered true sailers. If getting from point A to point B in as safely and in as much comfort as possible is not true sailing, then what is?
Old 12-03-2012, 14:56   #132

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
What we do have here in Upside Down Land, as you quaintly call it (wow that is so funny I have never heard that joke before) is compassion, poor bugger wrecked his boat AT ANCHOR, had nothing to do with crossing oceans on autopilot, so we didn't rub his nose in it. BTW you do realise that the earth is round and that as a matter of physics our location is space is equally valid expressed as Australia downunder as well as the obverse?

An extraordinarily rude and offensive comment.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Marianas Trench in the pacific is approx 11,000 metres or approx 36,000 feet,
Out of his depth or is it over his head
Old 12-03-2012, 15:02   #133
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
If you note, that is one of the cons I listed as obvious, multihull sailers are not considered true sailers.
Read carefully. I'm on your side. We just spell differently.
Old 12-03-2012, 15:06   #134
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
the deepest depth of any ocean we are aware of is slightly less than 7,000 feet
...mmm...don't think so...maximum depth is actually ~11,000 meters, or 36,000 feet...and we particularly remember this because we went for a mid-ocean swim where the water was so crystal clear we could see the bottom, but it was only ~6000 meters below...

OK OK...thread drift, big time...but hey, everyone else is doing it
Old 12-03-2012, 15:23   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Although I've never owned a catamaran, and probably never will, I've decided that the major con to cat ownership is that you'll never be accepted as a real cruiser by the fellow down on the docks who speaks fluent pirate and whose Margaritaville t-shirt is always befouled by parrot guano.

Good comment Parrot guano worse than Seagull
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran