Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 16:59   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Teach me your methods and tell me what products you prefer to wax your cats.

Cats have a lot of real estate to clean and protect and I would love to know your process and products that you use to get the job done.

Ive got some extra time on my hands as we sit tight on our cat because of the virus so I want clean and wax the decks and sides of our L440.

Thanks
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 17:45   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Teach me your methods and tell me what products you prefer to wax your cats.

I am a big fan of StarBright Non Skid Deck Cleaner for all the non-skid. It has PTFE so I usually use a wax product that includes PTFE to do the gelcoat between non skid sections. Last time I used 3M Marine Cleaner and Wax. We usually apply by hand, remove and polish by hand, and then follow up with a light pass with a buffing wheel.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 18:21   #3

Re: Teach me your methods and tell me what products you prefer to wax your cats.

The gold standard
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 18:27   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Used most of the marine compounds, waxes etc. but started using meguires cleaner wax. Works great and only $7 a bottle from Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Meguiar-...1216/204848403
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 19:21   #5

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Holy smokes! What a very extensive process!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 20:54   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not as easy to answer your questions as you might think. The first consideration is just how much cleaning is needed. If you are at a dock with water soap and water is how I start. I use car cleaning soap in an attachment to the hose and get a good coating of foamy soap on the boat and scrub it down with a soft brush and then rinse well with fresh water; plenty of fresh water. There is often a lot of dirt in the air in a marina and often dried salt spray from the last passage.

After the initial wash I assess the condition of the gelcoat. If it is shiny and smooth I would use some type of wax (as SMJ suggested a quality car wax is OK) but it should have some type of UV protection. I also really like to use 303 in places where there is no non skid. If the gelcoat is dull you may want to use some type of abrasive compound to remove the dull (but try using 303 first as it often makes things shine). If the gelcoat is in really bad shape you may need to use all or part of the suggestions in the gold standard link.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17   #7

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

what ever you use it's a lot of work, but gelcoat needs protection
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:18   #8

Boat: Hunter 30 G

wax my cat, can't even manage to give the damn thing a bath. +1 for starbright
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59   #9

Boat: Wanted - 22-23 Catalina trailer sailer

Quote:

Thanks - This is one of the best/detailed gelcoat buffing tips I've seen.
Sail2there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have always used Traffic Film Remover including on the inflatable dinghy and previous rib.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-...is-it-worth-it

Normally needs diluting, but tough stains a dab of neat works well, but use gloves doing this as it removes oils from skin.

At £12 for 5 litres its cheap and effective.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:56   #11

Boat: Currently boatless

Apologies up front for this: Sheba, my 16yo Siamese, wouldn't like that at all!
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:02   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my bubba would not take well to waxing and chico--gotta catch him first... shredding is result for both... i think i would not want to wax em. too much blood loss
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:07   #13

Gelcoat doesn't care what shape the hull is, how many hulls, or how it's propelled. Waxing and detailing is the same for monohulls, multi-hulls, sailboats and powerboats.

I use the 3M products. What matters is how oxidized the gelcoat. that will dictate which product you start with. machine buff the product on, and hand remove it. I use a buffing wheel at the end to polish and remove any residue I missed.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 13:46   #14

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Quote:
+1 Believe this. It doesn't mean you do every step thing he suggests. First, decide what shape your gelcoat is in and start there. If waxing your hull is something you haven't done then this is the best description of how and why to spend the time and have awesome results.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 14:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Cats have a lot of real estate to clean and protect and I would love to know your process and products that you use to get the job done.

Ive got some extra time on my hands as we sit tight on our cat because of the virus so I want clean and wax the decks and sides of our L440.

Thanks

First you must use rubbing compound and a random orbital polisher with a foam pad to clean and remove the oxidation from the gel coat

Once the gel coat is cleaned and polished then you put on a topcoat wax or sealer

Many around

Your choice

The high quality auto surface finishes are easiest to use

Two coats top coat finish is the standard routine

3m rubbing compound comes on various grades

Medium is s good choice

Rubbing compound is water soluble

After polishing , wash down with soap water and a yacht brush to remove rubbing comp residue
slug is offline   Reply With Quote