Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 22:56   #1

Stabilized bed platform

I know this might look silly, but...Has anyone been thinking to install such thing? Makes sense on bigger cat. Eliminates seasickness in minutes (as they say). Comfortable sleep while at sea and anchor. Only takes 200W of power (as they say). Weight - from 100kg, including wooden bed frame. Doesn't look bad!

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 23:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Stabilized bed platform

Seriously, have never felt the need for such a thing. Have you ever slept on a cat?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 01:03   #3

At the risk of starting another one of those bun-fights, can I respectfully suggest that you post on the "monohull sailboat " thread?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 01:12   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
At the risk of starting another one of those bun-fights, can I respectfully suggest that you post on the "monohull sailboat " thread?
This seems to beg a new forum: Silly damn things that we don't need, can't afford and don't have the power to run.

Applies to boats with any number of hulls.

Jim
Old 17-02-2017, 01:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously, have never felt the need for such a thing. Have you ever slept on a cat?
I have to agree, sounds like someone has never slept on a cat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 02:34   #6

I know it's much more needed for monohulls, but it's probably not too easy to adapt it there due to big angles. And in not so friendly seas this could be useful on cat too, I guess. I actually surprised that there's no such option yet on big charter cats, like Lagoon 560-620.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 03:15   #7

Cool. Can I mount the entire cabin on that thing? Would end my wife's sea sickness forever
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 03:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
I know it's much more needed for monohulls, but it's probably not too easy to adapt it there due to big angles. And in not so friendly seas this could be useful on cat too, I guess. I actually surprised that there's no such option yet on big charter cats, like Lagoon 560-620.
Because on a big 60' cat, motion in most anchorages is negligible. (2' waves won't have any significant impact)

If you do wind up in a rough anchorage, the motion in a cat tends towards up and down more than rolling and it tends to be snappy.

You appear to be solving a non-existent problem.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 04:51   #9

seems that hummocks are too low tech
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 06:02   #10

If I installed one of these, I'd be dealing with a mutiny. We live in the North East US, so the boat in on the hard at least 6 months of the year.

One of the things we always comment on when we get back on the boat is how much we missed the rocking. To us it is soothing. I'm an insomniac and avg 3-4 hrs sleep a night. that is, unless I'm on the boat, then I avg 8 hrs.

We moved marinas a few years ago from a relatively rough marina to one as calm as a mill pond. The first night at the new marina, she commented "WTF!!! It feels like I'm sleeping on land!!!!" Now we're lucky if we spend 5 nights in the marina over 6 months. We prefer to anchor out and get a little motion with our sleep.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 06:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a look at their website stable.no
I'm going to install the billiard table and wine storage on my next boat.

Seriously, nobody on this forum will be buying these stabilizers but the super yacht set will.
Old 17-02-2017, 07:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can assure you that the bed staying stable while the room moved around it would be more upsetting to my wife, she can't handle watching a towel or clothes swing. I can't imaging the whole room moving would do to her.
Takes a couple of days, but one we get used to it, the gentle rocking is a lot like rain on a tin roof. I sleep like a Baby.

I'm assuming you can hear the thing on a quiet night too, buzz, click, buzz, click
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:03   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This seems to beg a new forum: Silly damn things that we don't need, can't afford and don't have the power to run.

Applies to boats with any number of hulls.

Jim
No, it should have been posted in "The New Joke Thread".
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 07:46   #14

Lighten up. The idea is a good one. If it helps you offset seasickness, then good deal. This idea has been around for a long time, going all the way back to the Bessemer Saloon. New gimbals that manage cameras on drones and other devices of the like could potentially open up sailing to people who can't handle seasickness. No idea why everyone here is so negative about it. Cat owners have been listening to this kind of response from monohullers for years. New tech is almost always poo-poo'd by the old guard. I say more power to you (and to your bed). One good comment is that lots of people like the rocking for sleep. I always wanted to see a nacelle with this idea. That would make a real difference for a lot of people, and might even help real salty sailors with extreme seas.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 08:43   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Stabilized bed platform

A. By definition sailing itself is old tech whether mono- or multi-hulled.
B. Such a bed would be a significant power load meaning additional battery and generating capacity.
C. Also it adds electrical, electronic and mechanical complexity to the vessel, read another very significant maintenance item.
D. Such a bed would only allow people people with severe seasickness issues to be aboard as passengers, in moderate or worse conditions. If they are restricted to the bed in any but the most benign conditions they are not going to be productive members of the crew.
E. The bed would be a significant addition to any vessel but especially on a multi-hull which is more weight sensitive.
E. Such a bed would occupy significant volume, especially on monohulls which tend to be more space constrained.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed