Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42   #1

Spirited 380

Anybody any experience with the Sprited 380, looks interesting, would like any feedback possible.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 13:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I downloaded the study plan and couldn't help but notice how tiny the hulls are. I direct your attention to the workman leaning over the mould by bending at their waist.

Also notice the engines in the extreme stern. This layout has become popular as its the only way to give the boat a larger 'feel'. It appears to sail well in Flat seas, but performance in rougher stuff would be suspect. Is it me, or do the sterns look extended?

I know they have to ship the entire kit in a 40 foot container to control shipping costs, but I feel this was an aggressive goal.

I missed the expected number of hours anticipated to assemble and fit out. I suspect 3000 -4000 hours?

At 1.135847 Aussie Dollar to the USD I'd be surprised if stirred up any interest on this side of the pond considering the estimated fit out cost is $185K Aus, and a new and fully assembled FP Mahe 36' is not much more.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 14:03   #3

A fully built Spirited 380 from Stallion marine is just ander half a million Aus $. I saw one at Sanctuary cove, and it was very well finished. Far better than the French production boats IMHO.

It's probably not fair to compare it to any of the French boats - it wont have the accomodation they have, but will easily sail rings round them. It was still pretty roomy though, and headroom was outstanding. The flat foredeck was a nice feature too.

A friend nearby is building one of the kits, but he has really just started, so not much to report yet, except that the kit was much more expensive than the Oram 44C kit.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 23:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
See the latest Multihull World (Australian magazine), excellent test on the 380 by a gifted writer.

They are very quick and very well finished and I think offer excellent value.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31   #5

If you are considering building one from a kit, you might want to look here too.: Oceanic 373 Fasbuild Kit Stage 2

A similarly priced kit, but with more moulded parts including most of the interior fitout.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:08   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I downloaded the study plan and couldn't help but notice how tiny the hulls are. I direct your attention to the workman leaning over the mould by bending at their waist.

Unless you are 2 feet tall Rick, I would suggest that is the section of the hull up to the waterline.

The sides would be another section, the deck and hull to deck radius (sheer) would be another section.

Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30   #7
cruiser

I'm certain you are right about that, but this would mean that solid glass barely gets to the waterline. Is this the way boats are built these days?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I'm certain you are right about that, but this would mean that solid glass barely gets to the waterline. Is this the way boats are built these days?
Solid Glass

Who uses solid glass?

Definetly 1970's technology that, and I doubt it has a place on the Modern Multi.

Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 04:26   #9
cruiser

I guess you'd better not bump into anything!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:40   #10

I would'nt be to sure of yourself there Rick.

Ever seen a drop test done (for survey) on a solid glass panel compared to an epoxy composite panel?

I've seen some tests and supplied a couple of samples for them and I am more than happy with a composite structure below the waterline thanks.

Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37   #11

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Looks like a neat design. Good looks, and a nice sail plan. It also has FINE hulls (the first ingredient to a cat with good performance!)
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 14:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Yes Tnflakbait ( where did you get that name by the way) the hulls are fine - you notice a slight narrowness when you are in the hulls, I am 6'3" and 110 kios so I am a reasonable size and it was quite comfortable for me, just that little bit less expansive that some other 38 foot boats.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 18:58   #13

What do you think it would cost if the kit was sent to South Africa and finished by one of the quality inexpensive builder there. I would think it might be less then the Australian built ones. The Spirited 380 looks like a perfect blend between performance and comfort
vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
What do you think it would cost if the kit was sent to South Africa and finished by one of the quality inexpensive builder there. I would think it might be less then the Australian built ones. The Spirited 380 looks like a perfect blend between performance and comfort
Hi Vegas, Do you think that SA builders are inexpensive!!, I am not so sure, looking at the prices of cats out of SA - which IMHO look dated, and of all the SA cats I have seen appear heavy (much heavier than quoted), lack the finish of most European Builders and they seem very expensive for what you get. I am considering the Fusion 40 which I know is more expensive than the Spirited 380 which I also think looks great etc and I had also considered, but I would have the containers shipped to a local builder near me, whose work I would vet before they were chosen, get referrals from their past customers, ensure they have a good reputation etc, get a good price from them and also be able to oversee the build to ensure quality control etc.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:16   #15

Boat: now floating easy37
the rig is 16 m with a big roachy main which is a fairly tall rig for a 38 ft cat( my cruising 38 ft cat has a 12 metre non roached main), the designer himself had something to say about sailing it conservatively in strong winds but it can move, i would hate to get caught with a bullet when your unprepared for it like you get around cairns( i have already had experience in a 35ft hobie cat like racing cat and it was bloody scary(doing 15 knots when the bullet hit we went to 25kn and pulled the hull right out of the water on a 45 degree angle))
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote