Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 11:51   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Seawind 1160 outboard handling in heavy seas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post

Without the diesels, there is huge space for storage. And props are clear of water while sailing. Electric tilt.

Does your leeward outboard pod drag? The 1160 and 1190 we've been on both dragged the nacelle when sailing on anything up from a reach in moderate winds. It wasnt submerged all the time, but it had a few inches in the water at least 50/50. Neither owner had noticed it before.

Matt
Old 31-07-2021, 20:31   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Ju, do you have aircon?
Yes, the Seawind option was an 18k btu Dometic unit.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 20:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Does your leeward outboard pod drag? The 1160 and 1190 we've been on both dragged the nacelle when sailing on anything up from a reach in moderate winds. It wasnt submerged all the time, but it had a few inches in the water at least 50/50. Neither owner had noticed it before.

Matt
Cant say i have ever checked. I dont think so though. Theres no tanin staining on the pods, while the hulls have it above the waterline in some areas from water splashing.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:08   #19
lyl

What is the price difference between the Lite and Deluxe versions of the 1160?

Wouldn't the diesel inboard version become more economical in time despite being initially the pricier option?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:12   #20
lyl

Tula's Endless Summer folks ordered one. They'll probably give the answer to your question in their videos sailing. Although I don't know if their's will be the diesel version.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyl View Post

Wouldn't the diesel inboard version become more economical in time despite being initially the pricier option?
The Lite is a less-optioned model, that base price comes with dual Yamaha 20's. You can order a Lite with diesel engines though. It's an option.
Old 05-08-2021, 20:49   #22
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
The Lite is a less-optioned model, that base price comes with dual Yamaha 20's. You can order a Lite with diesel engines though. It's an option.
Oh, I see. I thought it had to be the deluxe version to have the diesels. Well, then I wonder the price difference when the Lite is ordered with the diesels. In any way, such an amazing sailboat. I envy the owners and wish them the best.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:00   #23

Boat: Hanse 348

Sail lots on a friends 1190 (performance 1160). He WANTs outboards for a few reasons:
1. He is a racer at heart. No drag when motors are up.
2. Can always start them. Never worries about a dead battery, you can pull start them easily. Always has house and start batteries ganged together for bigger house bank.
3. Simple maintenance. Also cheap replacement.

Coming from my Lagoon, I like a diesel with lots of torque. I like that I can go 7,5kts under power any time, even into 15-20kts of wind. I have folding props, so not that much drag, though certainly more than no engine at all. I also like that I can recharge my batteries with my engines.

But he bought the seawind specifically for its sailing performance. And the 1190 w daggerboards , outboards, etc for best sailing performance! He has done extensive cruising with it, month at a time, and ocean going voyages as well. Never worried about having outboards. If you are looking for a cat that 'sails' better but don't have millions for Gunboat etc. seawind is a great choice. I will say that the galley down in 38' and using all 3 cabins gets tight at times. For 1 couple, no big deal and having huge salon/cockpit is great for daysailing and entertaining. My 2c from being on it and conventional cats lots.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:03   #24
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
A newbie question here. I understand the replacement, but is the mainetenance really easier, cheaper, more conventional, and simplier?
Old 06-08-2021, 13:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyl View Post

When we ordered our boat in 2018, the Yanmar 29 hp diesels added around $21k to the price of the Lite, plus another $2500 if you wanted the Gori folding props. I don't know how that has changed now, with a lot of equipment prices escalated since.

At the time, you could also upgrade to OCEANVOLT ELECTRIC PROPULSION WITH GORI FOLDING PROPS, GENERATOR, INVERTER AND LITHIUM BATTERY, for about $66k. But I don't know anyone that has done that.
Old 06-08-2021, 13:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Sail lots on a friends 1190 (performance 1160). He WANTs outboards for a few reasons:
1. He is a racer at heart. No drag when motors are up.
2. Can always start them. Never worries about a dead battery, you can pull start them easily. Always has house and start batteries ganged together for bigger house bank.

Coming from my Lagoon, I like a diesel with lots of torque. I like that I can go 7,5kts under power any time, even into 15-20kts of wind. I have folding props, so not that much drag, though certainly more than no engine at all. I also like that I can recharge my batteries with my engines.

But he bought the seawind specifically for its sailing performance. And the 1190 w daggerboards , outboards, etc for best sailing performance! He has done extensive cruising with it, month at a time, and ocean going voyages as well. Never worried about having outboards. If you are looking for a cat that 'sails' better but don't have millions for Gunboat etc. seawind is a great choice. I will say that the galley down in 38' and using all 3 cabins gets tight at times. For 1 couple, no big deal and having huge salon/cockpit is great for daysailing and entertaining. My 2c from being on it and conventional cats lots.
Yeah, the 1190 is actually a 39 ft boat, but I think the difference is all aft - like a stern extension. Its only a minor difference in length, but I think there is a cleaner exit of water from the bow when sailing.

Tags
outboard, Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind