Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 02:43   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I should also point out the first 3 or 4 1000s had diesels, the next 210 have had outboards
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 05:01   #47

Boat: Seawind 1000 33' catamaran
Seawind 1000

I am a happy 1999 Seawind 1000 owner and have had the same experience. The twin 120 watt solar panels keep the ice box icy cold and the fridge just fine. The Bosch propane water heater is not well built for ocean duty but the rest of the boat is. Spent 24 hours in the Gulf Stream 100 miles off South Carolina in a Northeaster that blew at gale force on my maiden voyage. The waves were probably 10-20 feet high. Even averaging 18 knots we were pooped a couple of times. Had only one reef in the sail and did 360's trying to get more. I have full confidence in her seaworthiness. Never once felt like her bows were going to plow in even though we were surfing some big breakers.
girouxkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 06:05   #48

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
We barecharted the seawind 1160 in Whitsundays Australia. We were very impressed with the boat and had a great holiday onboard. I love the way the rear door opens up and incorporates the inside with the outside. I did find the passageways a bit narow downstairs but overall we found it a well thought out boat
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 06:51   #49

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxkj View Post
I am a happy 1999 Seawind 1000 owner and have had the same experience. The twin 120 watt solar panels keep the ice box icy cold and the fridge just fine. The Bosch propane water heater is not well built for ocean duty but the rest of the boat is. Spent 24 hours in the Gulf Stream 100 miles off South Carolina in a Northeaster that blew at gale force on my maiden voyage. The waves were probably 10-20 feet high. Even averaging 18 knots we were pooped a couple of times. Had only one reef in the sail and did 360's trying to get more. I have full confidence in her seaworthiness. Never once felt like her bows were going to plow in even though we were surfing some big breakers.
I'm surprised that so many prefer outboards, given the greater reliability and range of diesels, plus their ability to make hiot water and fill the battery banks on cloudy days. Yes, there's more drag, but with folding props you can eliminate some of it.

If outboards are superior, has anyone ordered a Seawind 1160 with two 30 hp outboards instead of the 29 hp diesels with saildrives?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 15:07   #50
Marine Service Provider

The 1160 can only be built with diesels, there is no outboard option.

Curmudgeon - I dont think anyone is saying outboards are better or worse than diesels or that diesels are better or worse than outboards, but simply that in a boat like the 1000Xl they are a great system that works well and suit the philosophy of the boat. The 1160 is a different boat catering to a differrent customer and diesels were clearly the way to go for it and the 1250. I personally really like outboards but others like the positives that diesels bring. Horses for courses and all that.
Old 24-10-2010, 15:35   #51

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Hi Factor,

As you are a Seawind Agent I would appreciate your thoughts about a 1160XL for the reasons that I stated in my earlier posts?

Steve
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 15:42   #52

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The 1160 can only be built with diesels, there is no outboard option.

Curmudgeon - I dont think anyone is saying outboards are better or worse than diesels or that diesels are better or worse than outboards, but simply that in a boat like the 1000Xl they are a great system that works well and suit the philosophy of the boat. The 1160 is a different boat catering to a differrent customer and diesels were clearly the way to go for it and the 1250. I personally really like outboards but others like the positives that diesels bring. Horses for courses and all that.
There is always an option if you have the money.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 20:06   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Hi Factor,

As you are a Seawind Agent I would appreciate your thoughts about a 1160XL for the reasons that I stated in my earlier posts?

Steve
I am only an agent - I dont make production decisions. Like Curmudgeon says above, there is always an option if there is enough money I suppose. Taking the 1660 out would require a fair bit of captial investment and a view that the makret would respond to it. It would rule out the 1160 for me however as I only own a 12 metre berth.
Old 24-10-2010, 20:53   #54

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm surprised that so many prefer outboards, given the greater reliability and range of diesels, plus their ability to make hiot water and fill the battery banks on cloudy days. Yes, there's more drag, but with folding props you can eliminate some of it.
snip
I'm with you, but some boats just aren't designed for inboard propulsion and they would suffer in other ways if you add the weight and the space.

You forgot to mention that outboards suffer from prop aeration upwind in waves, and simply don't motor to weather. If you want your prop to stay in the water you need to put it UNDER the boat. IMHO outboards are fine for sheltered water but in a chop you need an inboard if you want to motor well.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 05:18   #55
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I'm with you, but some boats just aren't designed for inboard propulsion and they would suffer in other ways if you add the weight and the space.

You forgot to mention that outboards suffer from prop aeration upwind in waves, and simply don't motor to weather. If you want your prop to stay in the water you need to put it UNDER the boat. IMHO outboards are fine for sheltered water but in a chop you need an inboard if you want to motor well.
We added 4' stern extensions to our Seawind 1000 which puts the outboards about 10'-11' forward of the sterns, aeration has never been an issue. We pulled the diesel and hydraulic drives of our old Cherokee 35 and installed a Honda 50 through the bridgedeck, occasional aeration but never an issue. It's all in the installation.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 06:05   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

To the contrary - the ONLY time I have ventilated (Note not cavitated or aeration) is in Moreton bay in crappy afternoon wind against tide shallow water. In 35 knots going to windward in 4 -5 metres seas have never ventilated. If you have your outboards mounted twoard the centre line of the vessell there chance of ventilation is reduced.

I have noticed I am becoming more religious with discussions like these. Every time one happens I am told in no uncertain terms that I cant do things I actually do (like motor to weather in an outboard powered boat) so I figure it must be a miracle that I do these things.

Oh and there are a number of outboard powered boats where the outboard is mounted UNDER the boat - see a number of schionning designs.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:52   #57

Re: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
To the contrary - the ONLY time I have ventilated (Note not cavitated or aeration) is in Moreton bay in crappy afternoon wind against tide shallow water. In 35 knots going to windward in 4 -5 metres seas have never ventilated. If you have your outboards mounted twoard the centre line of the vessell there chance of ventilation is reduced.
These comments are a little surprising to a Sydney SW1000 skipper of 9 years. Our standard 1000 ventilates her XL-shaft Yamaha 9.9 propellors every few seconds going to windward in >20 kts. She'll be reduced to about 2-3kts headway in 35-40 kts on the nose, and the ventilation becomes more-or-less constant. As soon as the wind reaches 40 - 45 kts on the nose, despite fully-open throttles, she'll start to lose steerage way.
artemidorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59   #58
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemidorus View Post
These comments are a little surprising to a Sydney SW1000 skipper of 9 years. Our standard 1000 ventilates her XL-shaft Yamaha 9.9 propellors every few seconds going to windward in >20 kts. She'll be reduced to about 2-3kts headway in 35-40 kts on the nose, and the ventilation becomes more-or-less constant. As soon as the wind reaches 40 - 45 kts on the nose, despite fully-open throttles, she'll start to lose steerage way.
You need stern extensions.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47   #59

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We looked seriously at the Seawind cats both the 1000XL and the 1160 and that's one reasion we ended up with a catamaran. The 1000XL had no door just canvas covering the salon ( no good in colder climants ) and the 1160 was too much money for our cash stash. Were glad we bought the 02 Gemini 105MC, it has gone thru a cold winter and we stayed tosty warm and moorage is only $151.31 a month for a std 40 ft slip at an almost new dock.
Old 11-04-2011, 14:04   #60
Marine Service Provider

Yep - you need stern extensions - or better still a new 1000XL

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160