Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 11:06   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Recommendations for bluewater cruisers under 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
There's what appears to be a really nice 38 ft. Newick Echo II listed on Yachtworld. Not exactly cheap at $150,000 asking. Years ago I had a chance to buy Newick's race winning Rouge Wave, asking $90,000. Fabulous boat, but that was a great deal of money for me at the time.
If this one is still for sale, and I lived close by, I am not sure I could contain my temptation

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/60541
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 02:44   #17

Boat: looking for next boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A Prout Sirocco is fully capable for what you want..
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sirocco-26-prout
+1
Having owned one, very capable yacht. Piece of cake to single-hand and safe as houses, sail well and quick.
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 00:35   #18

I realize this is an older thread and the TS may have already found a boat. I sailed, raced, and cruised under 30' cats and tris for 20 years. To answer his question... I think he is really talking about 2 different boats.

For the next 7 years while working, a fun convenient weekender would be ideal. One of the Corsair F-27/F-28/F-31s all of which are brilliant sailing boats would be on my short list. At the end of the weekend you can pack it up on a trailer in about 40 minutes and tow it to a different sailing ground next week if desired.

Some friends have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific on these but... Eeesh! They were wet every day under sail and pretty wild-eyed when they made port. It is difficult to carry enough provisions on these for any sort of comfortable long term passage and exposure to the elements is high. It can be done but it is not much fun. You will build your sailing chops weekending one of these F boats and be ready to handle most any conditions as a long term cruiser.

A comfortable blue water liveaboard really begins at about 36' and 40' is better. Load carrying, stability in heavy seas, and protection from the elements are all much easier to do with more waterline. In this range a keelboat or multi each have advantages and I suggest spending some quality cruising time on both before choosing to own.

Best of luck!
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 06:53   #19

The FP Maldives 32 is probably the best factory built choice with it's wide beam, good bridge deck cabin with a pop top, foam sandwich above WL. Compact and capable... Everybody in the cat community thinks it's too small, so they are often to be had reasonably.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, men, water