Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02   #46

Re: Please Advise on a Cruising Cat

So the point is that all "new" leopards bought anywhere except South Africa are, in fact, secondhand. Or at least, in automotive terms, "demonstrators". The delivery does little to guarantee quality or design excellence, but does guarantee a degree of wear over a truly "new" boat. Perhaps some of the production glitches that escape the "commissioning" process of other brands are rectified by the leopard delivery crews?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23   #47

Boat: Lagoon 440

No my point was that a lot are delivered that way, i made the point to emphasise that they are quite capable yachts, i would think a buyer could ship on deck, sail-away or have delivered on it's own bum.

There's always a downside.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
So the point is that all "new" leopards bought anywhere except South Africa are, in fact, secondhand. Or at least, in automotive terms, "demonstrators". The delivery does little to guarantee quality or design excellence, but does guarantee a degree of wear over a truly "new" boat. Perhaps some of the production glitches that escape the "commissioning" process of other brands are rectified by the leopard delivery crews?

It's not uncommon for new boat buyers to have their boats delivered to them by sail. Some owners participate in the delivery, but some don't.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:12   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's not uncommon for new boat buyers to have their boats delivered to them by sail. Some owners participate in the delivery, but some don't.

Great way to learn your new boat by the way. I used to do what I called "Instructional Deliveries" with the new owner aboard. These were typically much shorter than bringing a cat over from Africa...usually under 200nm, but by the time we got the boat to her new home the owner would have some idea what to do with it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:29   #50

Boat: fp bleize 43

hi belize
i think thats a bloody good idear thats what i plan to do more than likley if i buy in se queensland i will enploy a skipper to help deliver to darwin and teaching me on the way .nagavation i understand but a complete novice when it comes to sailing.
not sure of the distance but aprox 1800 knts.
spud
k9spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 23:57   #51

Hi Spud,

I recommend a good sailing school for a while specifically tailored to catamarans. I took Rob Swain Sailing School's "Fast track to Catamaran" in the BVI's. Highly recommended.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9spud View Post
hi belize
i think thats a bloody good idear thats what i plan to do more than likley if i buy in se queensland i will enploy a skipper to help deliver to darwin and teaching me on the way .nagavation i understand but a complete novice when it comes to sailing.
spud
Yes, this works out quite well. I have taught many new boat owners to sail aboard their own boats. However, be sure that you employ someone who is also an instructor...not all good sailors are also good instructors.

After 1800nm of sailing your boat with a good skipper/instructor you should definitely know her well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 03:04   #53
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

What Catamaran to buy???

You have just hit the nail on the head my friend.

5 years ago I got fed-up listening to brokers who know very little about what they are selling, who too, why and what for, except of course the commission they get.

I have now 200 Catamarans listed on my Computer, all with calculations saying what is what and how well it will or mostly will not sail.

They are not my calculations, they are from the designers of Cats and therefore my data is not biased even if my thoughts might be.

I will be Launching my new Web site soon telling all who seek my Consultation, what they should not buy!!!!!

Contact me at bazcatanaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk and I will reveal all.

Regards

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 03:21   #54
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

The Lavezzi 40' sails sideways, not forwards like yachts are supposed to do.

I know, I refused to Helm it in a test sail because it was not a Yacht it is a Caravan with a mast, sorry I forgot one thing, it floats as well.

Not the best choice of Cat but what do I know.

Regards

Barry Parkinson - What Cat Not to buy????
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:48   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9spud View Post
hi belize
spud
I have done a few of those. Depending on what you by, the instructor should be able to get off by Cairns. Or at least stop instructing by then.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 01:12   #56

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana View Post
The Lavezzi 40' sails sideways, not forwards like yachts are supposed to do.

I know, I refused to Helm it in a test sail because it was not a Yacht it is a Caravan with a mast, sorry I forgot one thing, it floats as well.

Not the best choice of Cat but what do I know.

Regards

Barry Parkinson - What Cat Not to buy????

Absolute Bulldust!

The Lavezzi is a good performing boat - and yes I have actual experience as I have just recently done 2 deliveries on one for a total of around 1,000 Nm where we had winds up to 40 knots at night with absolutely no moon at 120 apparent and then 30 knots on the nose.

Yes, there are more performance orientated cats in the market like Catana's and Outremers to name just 2 but your description of a Lavezzi as being a dud is just plain wrong.

Here is a clip from my recent delivery trip and you will see that the Lavezzi is handling the conditions with ease or do you still disagree after viewing the clip?

Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 03:04   #57

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Absolute Bulldust!

The Lavezzi is a good performing boat - and yes I have actual experience as I have just recently done 2 deliveries on one for a total of around 1,000 Nm where we had winds up to 40 knots at night with absolutely no moon at 120 apparent and then 30 knots on the nose.

Yes, there are more performance orientated cats in the market like Catana's and Outremers to name just 2 but your description of a Lavezzi as being a dud is just plain wrong.

Here is a clip from my recent delivery trip and you will see that the Lavezzi is handling the conditions with ease or do you still disagree after viewing the clip?

Now OZ don't you realise Baz is an Olympic class sailor and has a website that says FP are crap unlike a Catana 381.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 03:06   #58
Marine Service Provider

Baz, wheren are we going to get to see this comprehensively amazing website of yours?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 03:24   #59

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Now OZ don't you realise Baz is an Olympic class sailor and has a website that says FP are crap unlike a Catana 381.

No I didn't but yeah he may be a good sailor but to bag the Lavezzi like that is not fair and gives the wrong impression to prospective buyers who may not know any better. If the Lavezzi is on his website under the piece of cr*p category then he needs to revisit it & think again.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 05:00   #60

$350000 buys a great cruising MONO. Just saying.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising