Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 19:54   #1

Boat: DEHLER 39
OZ CAT QUESTION

Here in the land of OZ I have come across a cat called a JENSEN 37 CORAL SEA which I have been led to believe was built in Western Australia and am wondering if any of the forum members have any info on the boat they could share??

Thanks
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 00:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: OZ CAT QUESTION

Yep, pretty good thing albiet a little heavy for length in its day, but these days the way some manufacturers are going it might be considered lightish! Which one?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
Here in the land of OZ I have come across a cat called a JENSEN 37 CORAL SEA which I have been led to believe was built in Western Australia and am wondering if any of the forum members have any info on the boat they could share??

Thanks
Have a look at the underwater lines , especially around the stern sections and then ask the question, why ?.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 13:00   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Andy Jensen worked for WA Railways in the Fremantle ticket office. He built himself a small cat which he fitted out at the amateur boat building yard at Maylands. He then went into the boat brokering business, left the Railways and rented a shed in Henderson and started building cats. He then built a larger boat building yard in Henderson which he operated for a number of years then sold out. I used to drop by for a yarn with him occasionally and was fairly impressed with how he ran his business.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 13:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Have a look at the underwater lines , especially around the stern sections and then ask the question, why ?. Seaslug Caravan.
Hi Seaslug Caravan....firstly thanks for your reply. I'm a monohuller that's contemplating going over to the 'dark-side' and have come herein to pick folks brains hoping to learn the secrets of the dark-side so that one day maybe I can be a wizard like you Guys.

My only Cat experience to date has been when I was part of a Cat delivery team of four that delivered a Lagoon 44 from Melbourne to Hervey Bay which was a pleasant surprise even though there were the usual camp fire stories including hitting a whale.

Anyways...Seaslug Caravan.... back to your comment.....

"Have a look at the underwater lines , especially around the stern sections and then ask the question, why ?"

As I said Seaslug Caravan ... I'm new to this 'Black Art', so as Pauline said: "Please Explain" as I have looked at a multitude of Cat undersides of various shapes and sizes and no two breeds appear to be the same with the stand out on the Jensen being the small 'winglets' at the rear of the mini keels.
The rear of the Jensen hulls are somewhat flatter/boxier (not unlike the sterns of Joe Adams, 10's, 10.6's, 11's etc) but as I said, I'm new to this craft so kindly enlighten Grasshopper, is the boat a dog?

The one I'm referring to is the one that's been on Boat Point for a while and has done the rounds on Gumtree and the Brisbane boat auction and having said that, I guess some would say that says a lot for it.

Over to you Seaslug Caravan.

ps Btw Guys I assume by now you have cottoned on that my sense of humor is 'special kind of weird'.
Old 29-12-2014, 13:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Andy Jensen worked for WA Railways in the Fremantle ticket office. He built himself a small cat which he fitted out at the amateur boat building yard at Maylands. He then went into the boat brokering business, left the Railways and rented a shed in Henderson and started building cats. He then built a larger boat building yard in Henderson which he operated for a number of years then sold out. I used to drop by for a yarn with him occasionally and was fairly impressed with how he ran his business.
Thanks RaymondR for the history/background on the Jensen Cats but was hoping somebody could give me their 2cents on the integrity and sailing capabilities of the 37 Coral Sea.

Maybe Seaslug Caravan will enlighten me in that dept.
Old 30-12-2014, 00:23   #7

Quote:

Over to you Seaslug Caravan.

ps Btw Guys I assume by now you have cottoned on that my sense of humor is 'special kind of weird'.
I'm digging deep into the memory banks here so I may be wrong, but here goes.
Jenson initially got involved with catamaran building through the IMP range designed by colin Ayres. His first catamaran was an IMP30 called September Song. Jenson produced a range of catamarans from around 32 to 40 odd feet.
they all shared common mouldings. Not only the distinctive cabin mould but also
hull mouldings. Basically the hull lines were drawn up at the stern at whatever length you ordered with a "bussel" type arrangement. Leaving a really wide flat transom that pounds at anchor.

They motor really well and a couple of the owners post here. "Scuttle bug" and
"Fayze 2". Fayze 2 had one of the white stick wing masts that was eventually replaced with an alloy section when it collapsed. The owners of" Dream Runner" (40 feet maybe )had a few problems early on.

Nice looking boat however.
Old 30-12-2014, 13:28   #8

Thanks everyone for your feedback on the Jensen Cat.

Added to my memory banks.

Have got a multitude of other questions I would like to ask but I think I will need to start a new thread as they are Brand specific questions.
Old 04-01-2015, 00:15   #9

Me again Guys.............. another OZ cat:

Anybody know anything about a CORSAIR 3600 designed by Robin Chamberlin?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 01:59   #10

Talking Re: OZ CAT QUESTION

Quote:
Me again Guys.............. another OZ cat:

Anybody know anything about a CORSAIR 3600 designed by Robin Chamberlin?

Thanks
Shove your head under the bridge deck for a "Capt'n Cook". Be careful not to bump it.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:15   #11

Quote:
Shove your head under the bridge deck for a "Capt'n Cook". Be careful not to bump it.
Thanks again for your feedback Seaslug....... that's why I'm here.... to Learn!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:18   #12

Quote:
Curious Seaslug, had another look at the pics............... what am I missing as the bridge-deck looks as high as most other cats???????????

Used CORSAIR 36 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
Old 04-01-2015, 04:00   #13

Quote:
Curious Seaslug, had another look at the pics............... what am I missing as the bridge-deck looks as high as most other cats???????????

Used CORSAIR 36 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
The piece of the bridge deck just forward of the cockpit(in the saloon) is lowered to give headroom for the transit from hull to hull. A bit like a trench. Depending on loading you may be battling to see daylight when looking fore and aft under the wing deck.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:12   #14

Heres a picture, lightly loaded. looks like its got a good 300mm of clearance.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2015, 04:15   #15

Quote:
The piece of the bridge deck just forward of the cockpit(in the saloon) is lowered to give headroom for the transit from hull to hull. A bit like a trench. Depending on loading you may be battling to see daylight when looking fore and aft under the wing deck.
Ok ... Don't all Cats have this access 'trench' to the hulls?

and so that 'trench' in the Corsair 3600 is more intrusive to the under bridge deck space than most Cats?

and is going to create what?

and under what conditions??