Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 14:30   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Outremer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Not true. Only two yards I would trust in Qld and I have priced 50ft Shionnings in both. Even at current exchange rates you cannot get these boats built less than the O51. I have also looked at second hand Schionnings from other yards and asked owners build prices - same story.

Given I have not the expertise, as very, very few people do, home build is not an option.
Julian Griffiths from Noosa Marine, builder of some of the nicest Schionnings I have seen, says quite clearly he couldn't build a boat for what the O45 or O51 sells for in Australia, once the boats get to 18 metres - he is front.

Horses for courses. I have done a few Gladstone races on a schionning G force and a well built one is a joy to sail.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 14:32   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
If you've "known cruisers", then you should know what defines a cruiser. .
Nah - Cruising is defined as Boat Maintenance in New and Interesting Places.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:07   #33

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
Julian Griffiths from Noosa Marine, builder of some of the nicest Schionnings I have seen, says quite clearly he couldn't build a boat for what the O45 or O51 sells for in Australia, once the boats get to 18 metres - he is front.
Yes, Gforce 1800 and 5X pretty close. Even bigger cheaper to build in oz. At 18m the advantage in local build is customisation.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Nah - Cruising is defined as Boat Maintenance in New and Interesting Places.
LOL. And I particularly liked:

"All good but we know a Turkish inch is a French foot"

Those Turkish 50 footers must carry some gear!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:53   #35
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
That should read

The hard reality is that in regard to completed cost AND resale value for a fast cruising boat Outremer is the clear winner, but Schionning gives more options as a racing boat, as can be seen by recent racing multihull results. So, if you want a racing boat Schionning gives better options.
You've qualified your answer to your standards, your builders and to your way of thinking and included resale into the equation. And that's fine, for you, I have no problem with that. However, what I said is true and still stands. You can have a Schionning built, by a yard, for less than an O51 and I also respectfully disagree regarding options for cruising. No bridgedeck berths in the Outremer, for example, means you get larger beds forward in the hulls in the Schionning than you do in the Outremer. I, personally, think the Schionning is a better design and would be a fine cruiser. I intend on doing just that.

I agree that the Outremer will have better resale. For me, it's something I want to pass on to my kids so is less of a concern.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 03:44   #36

Quote:
That should read

The hard reality is that in regard to completed cost AND resale value for a fast cruising boat Outremer is the clear winner, but Schionning gives more options as a racing boat, as can be seen by recent racing multihull results. So, if you want a racing boat Schionning gives better options.
Also worth comparing apples with apples in terms of materials...Outremer poly/vinylester vs GForce Epoxy. We recently saw two GForce 15 cruise models underway at a yard in cape town that are just as comfortable as an Outremer 49 or 51, both built in foam core and getting rotating carbon rigs.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 00:42   #37

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

There seems to be 2 famous Ozi Monhull sailors (La Vagabond) in this vid happy to be on an Outremer

Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 13:58   #38

I note that the O49 in granada is still available .... 5 years later .
Any information on it other than it is a 4 cabin ? Is this the reason it hasnt sold ? I have just started looking at 49/51 any information much appreciated, including recent sale prices.
Chap1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer