Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 02:19   #31

Re: Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite?

Have to say that this new Lite is first cat that "rocks my boat" so to speak.

Even thou it's only 38f, it's still spacious and I really like the "modern" interior, it should also last much longer than wooden interior.

And another positive for this model is the engines, no more spending tens of thousands on replacing and fixing, would think that those engines are pretty "cheap" to replace if something goes terribly wrong.

Any idea about the fuel consumption when motoring around 6kn? and I'm guessing these are petrol engines.

And even the galley down, it doesn't bother me because there are so much light coming in to this boat.

Definitely moved to number 1 on my list but I still have over 10 years before the purchase so lot will happen before that
gixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:21   #32

Have to say that this new Lite is first cat that "rocks my boat" so to speak.

Even thou it's only 38f, it's still spacious and I really like the "modern" interior, it should also last much longer than wooden interior.

And another positive for this model is the engines, no more spending tens of thousands on replacing and fixing, would think that those engines are pretty "cheap" to replace if something goes terribly wrong.

Any idea about the fuel consumption when motoring around 6kn? and I'm guessing these are petrol engines.

And even the galley down, it doesn't bother me because there are so much light coming in to this boat.

Definitely moved to number 1 on my list but I still have over 10 years before the purchase so lot will happen before that
Old 06-03-2015, 06:44   #33

Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite?

Maybe one negative with this engine configuration is that those engines doesn't generate any power for your boat compared to standard diesels but this could be easily fixed by installing a generator on board. If I read the advert right, t comes with 4x200w solar so that should be plenty.

And the second issue when installing a diesel gen for the boat is you need to add second fuel tank for the diesel.

But still, really beautiful boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-03-2015, 11:09   #34

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I have to wonder about carrying around 50-100 gallons of gasoline (petrol) to power those outboard engines. Where do you safely store that much highly explosive liquid? The diesel tanks were under the port & starboard floorboards, in the bilge. I would not want gasoline in those locations since any stray fumes could cause a terrible explosion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:31   #35

Yes, the fuel tanks may need to be positioned differently, you'd think. On my boat the fuel tanks are in self draining lockers above the water line, and very close to the engines. Fuel hose runs are very short, and any leaks will immediately drain overboard.

The outboards still do provide some charging, but 800 Watts of solar should be plenty most of the time. I certainly wouldn't be installing a diesel genset - that would defeat the whole purpose of going light. Carry a Honda for the prolonged cloudy periods.

I suggest fuel consumption would be around 2 litres/hour at 6 knots.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 00:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

I suggest fuel consumption would be around 2 litres/hour at 6 knots.

You may find this depends totally on the prevailing conditions.

Just because the word "lite" is used in the advertising doesn't necessarily mean your boat is going to be this light.

Take a look at what the original 1160 weighed when lifted for its OMR rating.
See Multi Hull Yacht Club Queensland - OMR Ratings

8965 kg is a heck of a lot higher than seawinds claimed 7000 kg with 2 x 29 hp diesels.

The Lite version is listed at 6500 kg on seawinds web page, so it would be interesting to sea what it actually weighs in sailing trim.

Deisels are always going to be more efficient, grunt wise, than outboards so how much of the weight saving is taken up by extra fuel to maintain range?.

Until someone actually puts one on a load cell for maybe an OMR rating you can probably take any manufactures claimed displacement with a grain of salt.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:18   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
I have to wonder about carrying around 50-100 gallons of gasoline (petrol) to power those outboard engines. Where do you safely store that much highly explosive liquid? The diesel tanks were under the port & starboard floorboards, in the bilge. I would not want gasoline in those locations since any stray fumes could cause a terrible explosion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Me either, thats why the fuel tanks aren't there. The Petrol tank is in the sail locker at the base of of the mast, a self draining locker and all the fuel lines and of course the engines are outside the boat. Amazes me that people will take 20-40 litres of petrol for a dinghy motor without batting an eyelid but baulk at fuel for outboards.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:20   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
I think he would know - he has sailed all over the place in all sorts of conditions with his Honda 20hp outboards
Quote:
Just because the word "lite" is used in the advertising doesn't necessarily mean your boat is going to be this light.

Take a look at what the original 1160 weighed when lifted for its OMR rating.
See Multi Hull Yacht Club Queensland - OMR Ratings

8965 kg is a heck of a lot higher than seawinds claimed 7000 kg with 2 x 29 hp diesels.

The Lite version is listed at 6500 kg on seawinds web page, so it would be interesting to sea what it actually weighs in sailing trim.

Deisels are always going to be more efficient, grunt wise, than outboards so how much of the weight saving is taken up by extra fuel to maintain range?.

Until someone actually puts one on a load cell for maybe an OMR rating you can probably take any manufactures claimed displacement with a grain of salt.
Beats Working was boat 20, things have changed a bit since then. The latest lite launched floated with transoms well clear of the the water, and that was with full fluids, i.e. 750 kg of water and 200 of petrol and diesel (the boat has air con and a genset) Transoms still very well clear.

As for the diesels will always be better grunt wise, last time I checked 1hp was 1 hp whether it was diesel of petrol or LPG. A often overlooked, by the ill-informed, item is that on a sail drive diesel the prop is always dirty, always. Where as on an outboard its always clean, always. Thats worth a bit of grunt efficiency wouldn't you think.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

Wow, what a perceptive post! Of course it depends on the conditions. Motoring into a 50 knot headwind is obviously going to use more fuel than in a dead calm.

As for diesels "always" being more fuel efficient - no, not always. When the diesel boat is motorsailing, and the outboard boat is sailing due to it being lighter, having less drag, and being a better SAILboat, the diesel will not be more efficient.

Or putting it another way - a diesel boat may be a more efficient motorboat, but the outboard boat is a more efficient sailboat.
Old 07-03-2015, 13:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Me either, thats why the fuel tanks aren't there. The Petrol tank is in the sail locker at the base of of the mast, a self draining locker and all the fuel lines and of course the engines are outside the boat. Amazes me that people will take 20-40 litres of petrol for a dinghy motor without batting an eyelid but baulk at fuel for outboards.
While it's always sensible to take the fire risk seriously, a bit of perspective is needed too. Fact is, the VAST majority of recreational boats are powered by petrol fuelled outboard motors.

There would be tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of outboard powered boats taking to the water every single day. Disasters are rare.

And as you say, even the diesel powered boats still usually carry an outboard powered dinghy and the petrol to run it.

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind