Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2024, 16:20   #1

No boat is perfect but!!

Hi all

I am hoping to buy my first boat and start cruising sometime soon. I am fairly handy with wood work and some fiberglass work. I am hoping someone can tell me whether to worry about this report. I am looking at a catamaran and the owner bought it less than 2 yrs ago, and sent me a copy of the survery he had done then.

It has the following faults per the report.

I believe the osmotic blisters are not too much to worry about.
However, so many areas of debonding, wetness around areas of load such as chainplates and the area of surface deflection got me worried.

It is not particularly cheap either.

I don't want to name the boat so that I don't step on the owner's privacy but it is one of the heavy fiberglass British built cats.

Do these sound like a major repairs? I am happy to take on some work but the words debonding and the moisture around the areas of heavy load got me worried.

Thanks

###################

Numerous and widespread osmotic blisters sized between ~0.5” inch to ~2”

Shows several areas ranging from 2" to 6" of debonding of the FRP laminate structure when sounded with the mallet. Some of the same areas are positive for moisture on the meter and some were shown weeping after haul-out

Almost a fifth of the FRP over plywood internal bulk-heads showed elevated moisture content.

Some areas of the interior hull tested damp above and below waterline without debonding.

A 10-12" area of debonding of the laminate structure with some surface deflection and possible evidence of a previous repair.

All deck hatch lids test positive for moisture. Deck perimeter around the hatches shows moisture on the meter.

Areas around anchor windlass and staysail chain plate area tested wet on meter and positive for debonding.

Areas around one of the shroud's chain plate was positive for moisture and debonding.

There are several areas all over the deck and cockpit that tested positive for moisture but negative for debonding.

All standing rigging chain plates show signs of leaking.

FRP deck laminate surrounding all chain-plates, deck chain-plate knees and bulkhead mounting positions tested wet with the moisture meter.

Cap shroud chain plates have badly rusted mild steel load plates in the main cabin.

Neither the 12v or 110v systems are up to standard and recommended to be changed
tharch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 17:07   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: No boat is perfect but!!

So, you "want to start cruising sometime soon".
Then you present that list?
I've a feeling that should you get that boat your cruising "sometime soon" will never happen.
I'd probably be "cruising" away from that boat at better than hull speed.
Old 27-02-2024, 17:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

RUN !

"Numerous and widespread osmotic blisters sized between ~0.5” inch to ~2”

This alone is enough to make you run away. Blisters of this size are not limited to the gelcoat or skinout mat. The size indicates interlaminate blisters most often with hydrolysis i.e. the resin is dissolving. A new boat would be cheaper than fixing this one.
Old 27-02-2024, 17:22   #4

Thanks a bunch boatpoker and bowdrie.

I will run
Old 28-02-2024, 12:45   #5

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

Run,far and fast!
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 12:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassdog View Post
Run,far and fast!

:-)

Did so, right away :-)
Old 28-02-2024, 13:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharch View Post
Hi all

I am hoping to buy my first boat and start cruising sometime soon. I am fairly handy with wood work and some fiberglass work. I am hoping someone can tell me whether to worry about this report. I am looking at a catamaran and the owner bought it less than 2 yrs ago, and sent me a copy of the survery he had done then.

It has the following faults per the report.

I believe the osmotic blisters are not too much to worry about.
However, so many areas of debonding, wetness around areas of load such as chainplates and the area of surface deflection got me worried.

It is not particularly cheap either.

I don't want to name the boat so that I don't step on the owner's privacy but it is one of the heavy fiberglass British built cats.

Do these sound like a major repairs? I am happy to take on some work but the words debonding and the moisture around the areas of heavy load got me worried.

Thanks

###################

Numerous and widespread osmotic blisters sized between ~0.5” inch to ~2”

Shows several areas ranging from 2" to 6" of debonding of the FRP laminate structure when sounded with the mallet. Some of the same areas are positive for moisture on the meter and some were shown weeping after haul-out

Almost a fifth of the FRP over plywood internal bulk-heads showed elevated moisture content.

Some areas of the interior hull tested damp above and below waterline without debonding.

A 10-12" area of debonding of the laminate structure with some surface deflection and possible evidence of a previous repair.

All deck hatch lids test positive for moisture. Deck perimeter around the hatches shows moisture on the meter.

Areas around anchor windlass and staysail chain plate area tested wet on meter and positive for debonding.

Areas around one of the shroud's chain plate was positive for moisture and debonding.

There are several areas all over the deck and cockpit that tested positive for moisture but negative for debonding.

All standing rigging chain plates show signs of leaking.

FRP deck laminate surrounding all chain-plates, deck chain-plate knees and bulkhead mounting positions tested wet with the moisture meter.

Cap shroud chain plates have badly rusted mild steel load plates in the main cabin.

Neither the 12v or 110v systems are up to standard and recommended to be changed
Anything if fixable. But first find the soldboat/BoatWizard value of that boat, then create a comprehensive spreadsheet of what the costs in time and parts will be to fix it. Subtract that cost from your soldboat price and offer 70% of that as your purchase offer. If the number is super low, seller won’t accept and you should run, as this boat is for another fool.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 14:29   #8

Thanks Networker. My experience in boat repair is minimal. I am fine painting, fixing wood work, small fiberglass repairs etc but this looks like a project well above my capacity. As much as I love the look and space in the boat, head prevailed over heart for this time :-)
I didn't know about the boatwizard valuation - I will use that when I am facing the next boat

Thanks
Old 29-02-2024, 11:06   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It sounds like it's a wet sponge.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 11:38   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have read a lot of surveys, and I get the message that the surveyor really does not like this boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 17:43   #11

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Of course, it all comes down to money. How much are they offering to give you to take this boat off their hands?

If that, plus what you can get for salvaging the equipment is more than it would cost to dispose of the hull ... then go for it!

Then, you can apply the profit towards getting a nice cruising boat.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It sounds like it's a wet sponge.

Indeed.
It's been a learning experience - I thought blisters are only a cosmetic issue - I guess it depends on the size/depth and extent!!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I have read a lot of surveys, and I get the message that the surveyor really does not like this boat.
Oh, there was a lot more colorful description in the survey - didn't want to post the whole survey online but it was an eye opening read!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
Of course, it all comes down to money. How much are they offering to give you to take this boat off their hands?

If that, plus what you can get for salvaging the equipment is more than it would cost to dispose of the hull ... then go for it!

Then, you can apply the profit towards getting a nice cruising boat.

LOL. No, asking price was not much less than similar sized boats in the market, obviously I wouldn't be able to compare with other boats as I don't know their condition.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:39   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

The Survey gives clues as to the condition of the boat.
While blisters are inevitable on older boats:
*extensive blistering coupled with moisture in decks,
*moisture damage to bulk heads
*blisters with debonding frp laminate
etc.
is a sign of heavy storm water damage. Taking on a project boat with these issues means you will not "start cruising sometime soon".

Save your money for a boat that demonstrates the primary requirement of a boat.
"My Boat must keep the water on the outside!"
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat