Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 08:25   #1

Question Newbie - What Should I Buy ?

Hi fellow sailors

I'm relatively new to sailing but used to go boating/fishing with my family when I was a child.

I'm looking to purchase a catamaran and have a budget of approx £250k to spend. I've been researching online for weeks and been trawling through this forum. I'm looking for a newish (2005+) cat that's roughly 40 foot in length but also very modern, comtemporary, minimalistic and sails at 10 knots+ in a bit of wind.

I'm very interested in the Lipari 41 as it suits my needs well but a few people have encouraged me not to purchase a Lipari stating that it's designed more for "her indoors" than "proper" sailing and also Fountaine Pajot cater for the bottom end of the market?

As I'm new to this I'd appreciate some opinions - should I buy the Lipari?

I've seen the Lipari in the flesh at the Southampton boat show and would purchase the Maestro version. I've looked (online) at the lagoon 380, 400, 410, Mahe 36, Leopard 39, Lavezzi, amongst others, but I'm still drawn to the Lipari. The Leopard 39 is my second favourite at the moment and has been recommended to me by an experienced sailor.

Please let me know what you think?
danw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 09:37   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Newbie - what should I buy?

Take a look at the post "Top 10 multihull manufactors" it might give you an idea to who makes ok boats. You might need to figure what type of sailing you probably will be doing, we seem to be sailing into the breeze most of the time most all cats will go well down wind great but only some keep there speed up wind and those have centerboards that you raise up and down. I would recommend trying out and leasing some of your favirite designed boats first. In your price range there are lots of choices. Were on the Columbia river and sail in relitive tight channels ( 1 to 1/2 mile ) a lot and we like our Gemini 105Mc for it's pointing into head winds with it's centerboards and ability to go under bridges that has 60 to 65 ft clearence with it's 47 ft mast height.

Good luck looking
Old 16-10-2011, 00:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Newbie - What Should I Buy ?

Welcome to the forum danw.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 00:58   #4

Look for a one off custom boat. If you choose wisely you'll have a kick ass boat built better than any production boat at a much cheaper price.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 01:03   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Get a Laser dinghy and learn to sail first, 6mo or so.
Next, get a small trailerable boat like a Holder 20 and start to learn the crusing side of things, 1-2yr.
Then start to look for the boat of your dreams.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 03:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Get a Laser dinghy and learn to sail first, 6mo or so.
Next, get a small trailerable boat like a Holder 20 and start to learn the crusing side of things, 1-2yr.
Then start to look for the boat of your dreams.
What he/she said - except forget the little half boat and get a Farrier eagle or other small cheap multi
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 03:14   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I'm not sure how one could spend 6 months learning to sail a dingy in preparation for the kind of sailing one would do while cruising with a catamaran?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 04:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yeah sorry - dice the laser as well.

What I was alluding to was if you have some time before you get the big boat, get a little tri or even a hobie to play on and learn sail trim.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 04:48   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I'm not sure how one could spend 6 months learning to sail a dingy in preparation for the kind of sailing one would do while cruising with a catamaran?
Surely the experience of 6 months sailing a dinghy around a lake would be invaluable in learning about setting sails. Afterall a tweak to the jib or main very quickly has an affect on the boat, sometimes good sometimes not. However, that experience of how far you can luff and what the signs are of going to far are the valuable bit. This can then be directly transferred to sailing any larger boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:14   #10

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Going from a dinghy to a cat may un-nerve you somewhat... but crewing on other vessels will give you the experience you desire... Plus you can learn two things...
1. How to do it.
2. How not to do it.
Thus by crewing with others you are learning.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:29   #11

Speaking from experience I bought a new 46 ft cat on the internet while I was doning some internet shopping. Never seen a 46' cat before but been on many monohulls. When I saw it first time I was shocked! What the heck did I buy? Can I trade it for a smaller one? But after a week of learning I was able to do everything. I took sailing classes before and had friend to help and people to talk to. Now I feel I am better than many and know my limitations. The main points are Navigation, Learn where you are going and have back up. Be able to read charts, and have a portable device as well as you main navi. Weather, Know how to read weather and what to do in various situations. Take a course is best and have someone on board to teach you. Then start planning worse case situations and think how will you deal with them before they happen. For example you are out in the ocean and hit something, water is coming in, so what do you do? Build a list and find solutions. There is no right answer but you should find an answer that works for you. The other one is anchoring and docking. Not rocket science but worth a bit of thought. Get these things down and the rest is small stuff.
Old 16-10-2011, 05:36   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Home View Post
Speaking from experience I bought a new 46 ft cat on the internet while I was doing some internet shopping.
5lbs of potatoes, piece of beef for Sunday dinner, some cabbages oh and a 46ft catamaran please

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
5lbs of potatoes, piece of beef for Sunday dinner, some cabbages oh and a 46ft catamaran please

Pete
Haha Pretty much. I of course was surfing the net for several months prior but then bit the bullet and ordered. The sales guy was shocked. Did my research and made a low ball offer and added lots of extras, and they bit. Done deal. I like to do things on impulse, only when I can afford to do it. Now things are a bit tight though.
Old 16-10-2011, 06:00   #14

Boat: Traditional 30

try to get on and sail as many varied boats as possible. Even chartering a few first. It will open your eyes a lot. There isnt much seaman ship involved in sailling Dinghies compared to bigger boats. eg Anchoring, Nav, MOB, Docking, mooring and so forth. A good course will help you along as well.. Good luck.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 06:10   #15
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Guys, I have to agree with the dinghy or hobie or lazer. We all forget the basics because we know them so well, but a newbie will have to actually feel the boat response in a gust to understand boat dynamics. We don't heel...remember (rhetorical)? Understanding mast loading and what and why reefing points are used, is important in learning how to sail a catamaran.

I think it may actually be dangerous to sail a large catamaran without any sailing experience because of the lack of 'boat feel'. I don't know how else to put it.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote