Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2022, 11:06   #76

Re: Marriage Savers - do you use them?

Absolutely. They really are marriage savers.
geozeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:20   #77

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Just wanted to ask other cat owners if you and your crew use wireless headsets when docking, anchoring, etc. When we had a monohull it was somewhat practical to just shout but not on our cat.
Trying these out. Figure it's not a major $$ loss if they fail. Amazon gave them 4 star ratings, with good distance and audio, haven't used them since they came this past weekend. I'm seeking to keep both hands available.

Emovendo Rechargeable Walkie Talkie Watches Tow-Way Radio Watch 3200ft Long Range Multi Connection 3 Channels, 2 Packs $37.99
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:23   #78

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
We use occasionally 2 Android phones with an app called helmchat.eu.
Works without internet and hands free.

Add two simple headsets to the phones and your done.

Much cheaper than dedicated hardware. We had the headsets and phones already. The app is free.
Just downloaded this app - unfortunately internet IS required, about 30Mb per hour according to app website.

Still could be useful from time to time but often not.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:58   #79

According to the web page you need 3g coverage?
Vega1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:59   #80

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
According to the web page you need 3g coverage?
Problem is, even here in NJ, some places just do not have coverage.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 13:23   #81

Boat: Lagoon 42 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post
Yup, talk it out beforehand so everyone is on the same page/crew know what you want and use hand signals. After awhile no more hand signals 80% of the time.
Not easy when on a cat. Hand signals are no good when you are out of sight. Headsets make communication so much easier and safer especially when situations can change dynamically. It definitely takes away any stress when dual handling with my wife, and we don’t tend to shout and scream at each other.
Lanaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 14:52   #82

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have the Sena's and love them.

My wife is one of those who believes that a raised voice is an indication of anger or distress. If I speak loudly to be heard, she gets rattled. Fortunately, I have only rarely heard her raise her voice. She greatly overestimates my ability to hear her in most environments.

Even under the best of circumstances, communication between the bow and helm would require the person at the bow to turn around, face the helm, and raise their voice. Under adverse conditions, even with those actions, hearing could be difficult. Having the headsets allows for better two-way communication and much less stress.

As for those who say to use handsignals, they are imprecise and generally unidirectional. I don't know the hand signal for, "can we anchor further away from this noisy group off to starboard, but behind the dayboat to port?" or "be careful when backing down, I saw a submerged lobster pot" or "do you prefer the view here, or the protection in that cove over there?"

The headsets may not save our marriage (I hope it is not in need of saving), but they do make cruising less stressful and thus more fun.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 18:15   #83

The electric motor makes it easy to talk and use some hand signals
Josehoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 18:41   #84

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryD View Post
We got a pair this year - really useful as my wife doesn't want to risk losing her hearing aids and doesn't wear them when we are on the boat. Not a problem when we had a sailing boat as we could see each other. Our power boat is full of blind spots. Not even sure when she is on the boat after releasing the mooring lines.

Crew says that they're great as she can shout in my ear when too far off the dock and can't get off - perhaps should include this in draw backs below??

Two draw backs -

Heavy breathing in your ear - very sexy, but off-putting!

Need to relay conversation to any guests on board, as they can only hear one side.

With our Senas we take care of the heavy breathing problem by making sure the mic is no higher than chin level.

We have 4 headsets total, and they can all be synced together, and each is voice activated. Our catamaran is 42 feet LOA and over 25 feet wide, but 3 other people is the maximum I want helping as crew, the 2 extra headsets eliminate the need to relay conversion. Also, guests get a kick out of being included.
Old 08-08-2022, 19:46   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And have a plan before you start.

Anchoring is an easy one-person job anyway.

Like most people with extensive big cat experience in heavy conditions, I think marriage savers are a great addition. Yes, I singlehanded plenty, including anchoring, mooring, etc. and as a professional charter captain, I have plenty of experience doing the same with a professional crew. I am totally comfortable with hand signals, but I can tell you that there are plenty of times when things don't quite go right, the wind is blowing hard, etc. etc, and these things just make life easier and safer. Do you have a command for "edge just a foot or two to starboard and forward"? I didn't think so. Handy in finding sandy patches and keeping anchor chains from chafing under hulls. Size and conditions matter.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:42   #86

Boat: Lagoon 450S

If you keep your boat in a marina and never sail more than 50 mn from home, then you probably don't need marriage savers. As a full-time liveaboard and cruiser, we use ours almost daily. Most people here mention anchoring, but they're invaluable for boat projects and any time someone's on the bow while someone else is at the helm. You can use them while at the top of the mast to give your partner instructions or while someone is down in the bilge and needs the other person on the other side of the boat to flip a switch or open a value. Finally, we've used ours on the bow at 0300 in +40 kts wind when you're trying to get a line unstuck - it's hard to hear on the bow in high winds. Anything that improves communication is a good thing.
SV Coronado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:34   #87

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

Absolutely... we use our Eartec headsets all the time for docking and sometimes for anchoring and mooring. Many of the boats in our charter fleet (57 boats) have them. They make a huge difference... requests and information flow is clear, no one is yelling. Everything happens more effectively... particularly in difficult conditions.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:35   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

They sure help in bigger boats or else where visibility is limited.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 14:48   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Coronado View Post
If you keep your boat in a marina and never sail more than 50 mn from home, then you probably don't need marriage savers. As a full-time liveaboard and cruiser, we use ours almost daily. Most people here mention anchoring, but they're invaluable for boat projects and any time someone's on the bow while someone else is at the helm. You can use them while at the top of the mast to give your partner instructions or while someone is down in the bilge and needs the other person on the other side of the boat to flip a switch or open a value. Finally, we've used ours on the bow at 0300 in +40 kts wind when you're trying to get a line unstuck - it's hard to hear on the bow in high winds. Anything that improves communication is a good thing.

I totally agree with the above post. I can't think how many times Jim's been up the mast doing something with the wiring, and I've been below at the switch panel, flipping switches on demand. We couldn't do it with shouting (the usual backup when the batteries in the walkie talkies fails).

And to the guy who wanted to edge in closer to the dock, yes, we have a signal that means minimum throttle, and one that means the direction, so that can be done with two signals, close together. But so many catamarans drivers don't have a good view of the foredeck, I can imagine the walkie talkies (our "intergalactic communicators") would help even more.

Finally, at night, to see hand signals, you need to have the one who is signalling's hand illuminated. Usually that means the deck light, and there goes your night vision. Sometimes it helps if they put their head facing their hand (so it is lit), so you at the helm can see the signal through the downpour. [This is not common, but in the case of dragging at night during a thunderstorm, and trying to get the hook up, to re-anchor, helpful.]

Ann
Old 10-08-2022, 09:33   #90

Boat: Catalac 12m

Captain is used to single handing so my ability to toss a line or whip it around a clear is a bonus. Would definitely advocate for the phone app w headsets if it becomes an issue
LLGJ is offline   Reply With Quote